Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default How to Clean Wood Glue?

Buck Turgidson wrote:
What's the best way to clean up some glue (e.g. Titebond II) that gets
on the surface of wood, such as oak? Will a damp rag be good enough?

Maybe. If you are thorough and careful. Obviously, the glue has to be
still liquid. If it has dried, scraping works best for me. Or shaving
it off with a sharp chisel.

If you are talking about squeeze out from joints rather than just having
inadvertantly slopped some somewhere, a chisel/scraper is the way to go
IMO. After it is dry it has shrunk, is hard and comes off easily with
the chisel. There should be just tiny beads...if you have lots of
squeeze out you are using too much glue.

The trouble with using water to remove squeeze out is that one tends to
push it around and leave a tiny bit in the grain and that residual glue
is hard to get off when dry and messes up the finishing. If the wood
has been finished before gluing the joint (I often do so) water, paper
towels and a scraper made of hardwood work pretty well.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...