Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building small table for disassembly

I am building a child's table and chairs for a christmas present.

This will either be shipped or boxed up and transported in checked
airline baggage.

My default plan is to dry fit the table legs and much of the chair legs
and then glue and finish them at the destination, but I would PREFER to
simply make the table, um, "disassembleable" or have the legs fold
down.

The only thing is every table I have seen that can be taken down or
folded up is darn rickety.

Any neat tricks here or specialized hardware that would help? I've
been looking for commercial examples of this, and every one is like I
describe in the sentence above.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

writes:

The only thing is every table I have seen that can be taken down or
folded up is darn rickety.

Some of the fasteners can be quite strong.
Here's woodcraft's page on knock-down hardwa

http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?deptid=2228

I've used this type:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=1045

You need to be able to drill holes in a T pattern, however. The
barrel nuts (B) don't require precise positioning (you can use a hand
drill.)