Default WW Grainger vs Fastenal: How do you rate them?

Hi all,

I know to an extent all of you must have used one of these suppliers
in the past. How do you rate the two in terms of customer service,
price, and product availability. I am a former employee of WWG and
have always been curious of the customer's side of the story. Please
give any feedback you can.

Thank you,

FJMS

Leon

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,

I know to an extent all of you must have used one of these suppliers
in the past. How do you rate the two in terms of customer service,
price, and product availability. I am a former employee of WWG and
have always been curious of the customer's side of the story. Please
give any feedback you can.

Thank you,

I have never heard of Fastenal.
WW Granger?
A pretty good source for odd items. Customer service, that would depend on
which store you go to. Price? Go there as a last resort.

Greg G.

Leon said:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I know to an extent all of you must have used one of these suppliers
in the past. How do you rate the two in terms of customer service,
price, and product availability. I am a former employee of WWG and
have always been curious of the customer's side of the story. Please
give any feedback you can.

Thank you,

I have never heard of Fastenal.
WW Granger?
A pretty good source for odd items. Customer service, that would depend on
which store you go to. Price? Go there as a last resort.

Boy, you got that right... Grainger sells at Suggest List. g
There is also a company called MSC, but I've never heard of Fastenal.

Sorry,

Greg G.
DanG

I have zero experience with Fastenal, so it sure will be hard to
compare.

We spend over $50,000-100,000 a year with Grainger. Name brands
available / Dayton quality-ok / price, inventory, and distribution
network will be hard to beat. The shear number of
trades/tools/supplies is staggering.

I contacted 3 local commercial hardware suppliers for some 1/2
mortise hinges. No one had stock and needed 3 weeks plus to
deliver. I never thought of Graingers, but flipped it open for
something else and ended up on the hinge page. They had them in
stock for less than the commercial suppliers.

I don't know where you are headed with this. I have an assortment
of local suppliers with whom I prefer to do business. Grainger's
is one of them. Home Depot is not.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,

I know to an extent all of you must have used one of these
suppliers
in the past. How do you rate the two in terms of customer
service,
price, and product availability. I am a former employee of WWG
and
have always been curious of the customer's side of the story.
Please
give any feedback you can.

Thank you,

FJMS

max

Grainger's is consistently excellent in service, delivery and quality. There
is no risk as they will accept anything for return. I have been using them
for almost 30 years. They are not the cheapest but they are great. Try
McMaster Carr. They again are not the cheapest, but have excellent service
and quality. .max

Hi all,

I know to an extent all of you must have used one of these suppliers
in the past. How do you rate the two in terms of customer service,
price, and product availability. I am a former employee of WWG and
have always been curious of the customer's side of the story. Please
give any feedback you can.

Thank you,

FJMS

Greg G.

joe2 said:

Greg G. Wrote:

Boy, you got that right... Grainger sells at Suggest List. g
There is also a company called MSC, but I've never heard of Fastenal.

Ditto the suggestion for SMC Direct, by from them frequently. Service
is good. Their catalog is worth its weight in gold as a reference for
industrial supplies. Free, 8.5 x 11 x almost 4-inches thick, about
5000 pages. The prices are very good, fast shipping, easy returns.

www.smcdirect.com

Uhh... Dude. ;-)
SMC is a computer vendor, MSC is the hardware vendor.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/

But I know what you meant...

Greg G.

Hey Brian,

You will get flack from the people at the counter if you are not a
business as the Corp policy is B2B only. Thats not the end of the
world though. If your employer has an account, you can pay cash or
credit card using that account. They will make a "one time
accomadation sale", but if they catch you doing that twice you will
get some grief.

As far as why your account was not working, they will typically
delete accounts after one year of inactivity. If you had set up an
account before, just use the same business ID to reactivate it. I'd
have no issue with that.

Brian Elfert wrote:
writes:

Hi all,

I know to an extent all of you must have used one of these suppliers
in the past. How do you rate the two in terms of customer service,
price, and product availability. I am a former employee of WWG and
have always been curious of the customer's side of the story. Please
give any feedback you can.

A lot of stuff can be found at WWG that I as an individual can't find
elsewhere. My big beef is individuals can't order from them. I remember
my dad having to go to the local hardware store to have them order items
from WWG. He would go to WWG, find the item, drive to the hardware store,
and then go back to WWG to pick it up.

I used to own a business so I had opened an account online years ago. The
online account still worked a year ago so I ordered something and went to
pick iu up. The guy at the store gave me a big hassle because my business
accoutn had been deleted due to inactivity. Why the heck did my online
account still work if the business account it was tied to was gone?

Brian Elfert