Default cutting out shapes with a router

I would like to cut numerous wood pieces that are identical in shape
and about 6" long 3 inches wide. I want to cut them out of 3/4" hard
maple. I made myself a template from 1/4" plywood and tacked it to a
piece of the 3/4" maple. I then trying using a cutting bit on my router
table to cut out the shape. On the top of the bit is a small wheel that
I used to roll along the edge of my template. The whole idea sounded
easy enough to me until I tried it. The bit would periodically grab
really hard and sometimes it would break chunks of the maple
off...scary! I tried going slower, faster, etc., but could never get
it to work. My Craftsman router table and router only run on one speed
so I can't adjust it. I am guessing that the problem is in the blade.
Does anyone have a suggestion for me as to how to make this work?
Please keep the response at a "novice" level...I am most certainly a
beginner.

Thank you!

II

Clint

Since nobody else has thrown out an answer, I'll throw in my $0.02...

I suspect what your problem is that the router bit is catching in areas of
wood-grain change, and pulling off chunks of your hard-earned wood. Your
solutions to the problem would be:
1) Cut out the rough shape using a jig saw or bandsaw. Try to stay within
1/4 to 1/8 of an inch of the shape. This will help prevent the bit from
getting too much material to grab onto.
2) In areas of grain change, be prepared to move the router the opposite
way around the pattern. If you look at the way the router bit turns, the
direction you're moving the router, and the grain of the wood, you'll see
that there are probably areas that you're going against the grain, and the
router bit will basically pry up chunks of wood, ruining your pieces and
leaving you with splinters. Having said that, routing with the grain
("climb cutting") can be dangerous, as it may cause the router to move in an
unexpectedly quick manner, as the bit basically accelerates the router in
the direction of travel.

Here's an article that may help:
http://www.newwoodworker.com/clmbcuttng.html (found with a google search).
Have fun, and be safe. If something makes you feel uncomfortably unsafe,
there's probably a reason for it, and you should stop and see if there's
another way. There's almost always multiple ways to accomplish something,
and sometimes the scary ways outnumber the safe ways.

Clint

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

mike hide

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Take a stack of maple samples and mark on the top piece using the template
the shape you want to cut . cut as close to the line as possible with a
bandsaw as many as you are comfortable with at a time. then try the same
procedure you started with .

You probably tried to remove too much with the original procedure. by the
way work against the cutter not with it [which will throw the piece across
the shop...

On 4 Nov 2005 21:50:10 -0800, wrote:

[...]

that method is great for final trimming of the parts to shape, but you
have to get them close first.
you don't say if your parts are curved, but I'm going to guess that
they are. depending on your definition of numerous, a bandsaw would be
a good investment. there is an excellent technique for roughing with a
bandsaw and following with a trim bit in a router in the currenf Fine
Woodworking Magazine in this article:
http://taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/fw_180_054.asp
basically set up a follower on the band saw to have the bandsaw cut an
eighth of an inch or so outside of your hardboard template.

if your pieces are all straight lines you'll be better off with table
saw jigs.

your pieces are verging on too small to be safely handled on the
router table. doing a lot of them is courting disaster. do something
to get your fingers further from the cutter and give you a firm grip.
prolly add a big handle to your hardboard template.

if you continue with woodworking you're going to want a better router
and table. build the table yourself. don't go for fancy, especially
for the first one- it's all about learning. read this:
http://patwarner.com/router_table.html

the grabbyness and busting out chunks is from trying to take too much
off at one time, from having a dull cutter, from having insufficient
control of the part or from a problem with the router.

George

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to cut numerous wood pieces that are identical in shape
and about 6" long 3 inches wide. I want to cut them out of 3/4" hard
maple. I made myself a template from 1/4" plywood and tacked it to a
piece of the 3/4" maple.

You need a starting pin to brace against as you snuggle into the bearing.

Library or used book shop text on basic routing would describe it best,
though in essence it's a pin close in toward the bit, against which you
place your piece, using it as a fulcrum to move into the bit and bearing.
http://www.patwarner.com/ for a good bunch of routing information.

Even better is to use the starting pin and a holding jig. Can be just
handles on a sturdier template, or a commercial one like
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,41780&p=41780

You guys are awesome! I have never been around someone that worked
with wood in my life and all I have learned by trail and error on my
own time. I will investigate all the links you guys have provided,
thank you very much for your time!!

II

George wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to cut numerous wood pieces that are identical in shape
and about 6" long 3 inches wide. I want to cut them out of 3/4" hard
maple. I made myself a template from 1/4" plywood and tacked it to a
piece of the 3/4" maple.

You need a starting pin to brace against as you snuggle into the bearing.

Library or used book shop text on basic routing would describe it best,
though in essence it's a pin close in toward the bit, against which you
place your piece, using it as a fulcrum to move into the bit and bearing.
http://www.patwarner.com/ for a good bunch of routing information.

Even better is to use the starting pin and a holding jig. Can be just
handles on a sturdier template, or a commercial one like
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,41780&p=41780

Great advice. I have cut out hundreds of pieces with the bandsaw in the
last couple years and run them through the router. For months I ran the
pieces in all directions on the router because I didn't know better.
After some reading though I realized just what you wrote above
Nate...to only go against the bit. I worry about the router everytime I
use it though, it's a dangerous tool. I intend to buy some push pads
right away after reading the info that Clint posted.

I think at this point I will try and cut out most of the shape with a
bandsaw and then take it to the router to see if that works. I will be
very careful!

thanks again!

II

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Great advice. I have cut out hundreds of pieces with the bandsaw in the
last couple years and run them through the router. For months I ran the
pieces in all directions on the router because I didn't know better.
After some reading though I realized just what you wrote above

Make your next bit a spiral solid carbide, and begin using collars for
pattern work. The shear they provide makes direction almost meaningless.

Nate Perkins

"George" George@least wrote in :

wrote in message
oups.com...
Great advice. I have cut out hundreds of pieces with the bandsaw in
the last couple years and run them through the router. For months I
ran the pieces in all directions on the router because I didn't know
better. After some reading though I realized just what you wrote
above

Make your next bit a spiral solid carbide, and begin using collars for
pattern work. The shear they provide makes direction almost
meaningless.

Really? I'll have to give that a try. A assume for a bit mounted in the
table you'd want to use a spiral up-cut and not a spiral down-cut, right?

Thanks

nospambob

I use the right hand thumb and curled fingers as a mnemonic for
feeding into a rotating bit. Thumb represents the router bit
projecting out of the base/table. Thumb pointed up means
counterclockwise bit rotation therefore stock is passed in front of
the bit from right to left INTO rotating bit cutters. Handheld with
thumb pointing down cutting edges are clockwise rotation and router is
passed in front of the wood from left to right. When table is used
for edging long and end grain the end grain edges are cut using a
climb cut with stock held FIRMLY to avoid be torn out of my hands, for
about 1" or 2" then conventional direction for balance of that edge.