John

Default compound miter question (crown molding)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to cut crown molding so that it
not only turns a 90 degree outside corner, but then rises up a slope? I've
got charts giving me cut angles, but nothing for this.

What I'm doing is putting crown molding on a porch roof. At the corner, I'm
thinking the roof pitch being low (3/12) it will make for an akward looking
return. I'd like to have the crown molding turn the corner, then continue up
the slope of the roof.

Is this possible?

-jb

Rocky

It can be done. Go to this website and get the book. It's very good.

Rocky

http://www.compoundmiter.com/

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:18:18 -0400, "John" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to cut crown molding so that it
not only turns a 90 degree outside corner, but then rises up a slope? I've
got charts giving me cut angles, but nothing for this.

What I'm doing is putting crown molding on a porch roof. At the corner, I'm
thinking the roof pitch being low (3/12) it will make for an akward looking
return. I'd like to have the crown molding turn the corner, then continue up
the slope of the roof.

Is this possible?

-jb

yes and no.

it's 2 cuts, one right after the other. if you try to combine them the
profiles won't meet. if the pitch is slight and the crown is painted
you can get away with massaging the corner to eliminate the overhangs,
but if it's stain grade or is close enough for the eye to get a good
look at it or the pitch is significant, do the turn followed
immediately by the rise.

Crown Molding ?? EvoDawg Woodworking 10 June 6th 05 12:07 AM
Crown molding on a non-standars ceiling angle Fly4CAP Woodworking 1 January 29th 05 10:22 PM
How to cut crown molding? Key Bored Woodworking 5 November 28th 04 05:43 PM
crown molding problem nemo Woodworking 10 June 4th 04 02:24 AM
REVIEW: Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw Woody Woodworking 0 August 12th 03 08:41 AM