EvoDawg

Default Crown Molding ??

does anyone know the going install rate for 4 1/2" oak stained crown
molding? Approx. 50 linear feet in a bathroom. 4 inside corners and 2 caps

thanks
Rich
--
*Remove "nospam" to email
"You can lead them to LINUX

Rich:

The job is too small to put a per foot price on it. Figure out what
you should be making an hr., put on something for Mom and the kids and
bid it that way.

Robert

Swingman

"EvoDawg" wrote in message ...
does anyone know the going install rate for 4 1/2" oak stained crown
molding? Approx. 50 linear feet in a bathroom. 4 inside corners and 2

caps

Just as a ball park guide, roughly $2/LF, unstained, here in Houston.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Ouch, Swing. $2 lf? I could see that though if was paint grade
(caulk/putty as needed) and it was small enough to nest on the saw.

I am your neighbor in San Antonio, and I get anywhere from $3 to $5
depending on the difficulty and size of the installation of crown. I
would think this one would be on the higher end because of the size and
the fact it is prefinished hardwood. Cuts/copes/fits all have to be
just about perfect.

The last big crown job I did in Houston I was low bidder on the big
stuff and got it at $4.75 for stain grade, no caulk (or putty except
for nail holes) joints in the LinkWood Terrace area outside of
Memorial. No finish, just installation.

But you do have to bid those small jobs up... they will eat you alive.

Of course, he didn't say this, but if you are doing it for a buddy, we
all know the standard barter here in TX at this time of year is cold
beer and BBQ. Sometimes after that tab it winds up cheaper to just to
pay someone outright!

Robert

Tom Watson

wrote:

does anyone know the going install rate for 4 1/2" oak stained crown
molding? Approx. 50 linear feet in a bathroom. 4 inside corners and 2 caps

thanks
Rich

I'd charge you for a day, which would be $450.00.

I know it sounds alike a lot but you have to figure that by the time I
set up, do the work, break down and leave - I won't have enough day
left to sell to anybody else.

Now, I'm quoting you shop/road rate for a cabinetmaker.

If I was still jobbing out finish carpentry, I'd still charge you for
a day but it would only be about $270.00 to $320.00.

You want to make sure that you get a good mechanic to do this kind of
prefinished work. Kitchen guys are used to it but make sure that you
are getting a guy who doesn't own a caulk gun or a piece of the local
plastic wood concession.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Mike

wrote:

does anyone know the going install rate for 4 1/2" oak stained crown
molding? Approx. 50 linear feet in a bathroom. 4 inside corners and 2 caps

My per foot prices are based on trimming an entire house for a
customer who may pay me for a number of houses each year. I know
that a job like you describe will take me more time than my per foot
price will pay.
If I'm going to go to do a small project like this, I try to look at
the time involved and base the per hour rate on what I would make if I
was on a more normal (for me) job. I may add a little to that rate
depending on the situation.

Mike O.
Swingman

"Ba r r y"wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:36:41 -0500, "wrote:

"EvoDawg" wrote in message ...
does anyone know the going install rate for 4 1/2" oak stained crown
molding? Approx. 50 linear feet in a bathroom. 4 inside corners and 2

caps

Just as a ball park guide, roughly $2/LF, unstained, here in Houston.

$2 for stain grade crown?

Wow...

I'll be happy to post the invoice ... It's what I paid, just this past
month, to _install_ (the OP's question) two piece CM in the master bath in
new residential construction that just went on the market for $725K.

Can I sub out some Connecticut jobs to you?

Bring'em on down and I'll be glad to negotiate the price for you.

But don't forget, we have a different class of "carpenter" down here. Most
come from a desert land, sans wood, and you've got to be able to communicate
with them ... which often carries a large penalty if you can't.
Additionally, you must learn to deal with a firmly ingrained belief that
"caulk" is their salvation, and "coping", a totally alien concept, is only
to be attempted on the supervisor's insistence, and then only until he turns
his back.

To tell the truth, I thought it was bit high, but since it was an
afterthought on my part and a small job, I let it go.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

CW

They left off part of the answer. The whole thing is "south of Texas".

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 08:32:12 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Whenever you ask one
of these guys where he's from, it's "Texas".

Barry

EvoDawg

Ba r r y wrote:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 08:32:12 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Can I sub out some Connecticut jobs to you?

Bring'em on down and I'll be glad to negotiate the price for you.

I'll be mailing them, postage due!

But don't forget, we have a different class of "carpenter" down here. Most
come from a desert land, sans wood, and you've got to be able to

communicate
with them .

We have Texicans, too! They work their ass off as framers, roofers,
and insulators, but they haven moved in to the finish or licensed
worlds all that much... yet.

The moniker isn't meant to be a slam on Texans. Whenever you ask one
of these guys where he's from, it's "Texas".

Barry

Well watch out when they do because they will under bid everything and your
jobs will go away. That's what has happened in California and it's
spreading to the northeast and midwest. The public here is finally getting
smart on their work quality. I get calls all the time to fix, Jose and Hose
B jobs.

Rich
--
*Remove "nospam" to email