Amy L.

Default Engineered Hardwood Floor Glue Question

From all of the reading I have done on floating floors over the internet
(diy, thisoldhouse, etc) everything I came across indicated to apply the
glue to the "groove" of the wood. However, in the installation manual for
the wood I purchased for my floor indicates to apply the glue to the upper
edge of the tongue along the whole length of the board? I assume following
the manufactures directions is always best - but any thoughts on why the
tongue and not groove? What is better?

Amy

tom

Could be that if you put too much adhesive in the groove, you may not
be able to seat the tongue in all the way without splitting? It could
happen! Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"Amy L." wrote in message
From all of the reading I have done on floating floors over the internet
(diy, thisoldhouse, etc) everything I came across indicated to apply the
glue to the "groove" of the wood. However, in the installation manual for
the wood I purchased for my floor indicates to apply the glue to the upper
edge of the tongue along the whole length of the board? I assume
following the manufactures directions is always best - but any thoughts on
why the tongue and not groove? What is better?

By putting the glue in the groove, you will have a good joint and less
likelihood of oozing glue out when you put them together.

Putting glue on the top of the tongue will also give you a good joint, but
also a better seal from spills.

I put down Mannington a couple of years ago. IIRC, it was glue the groove.

HMFIC-1369

It's really easier to simply paint the tongue, then it is the grove. Just
remember that more glue is not better! I also wouldn't think that the glue
should be considered a "sealant". When you're done wipe it clean and wax per
manufacturers specs (only for warranty)

From all of the reading I have done on floating floors over the internet