Jay Pique

Default Cleaning router bits with bearings.

Is it ok to just soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green
do you think? I just don't want to ruin the bearings.

Thanks.
JP

tom

Maybe you could remove the bearing before cleaning the bit? I wouldn't
want what little lubrication that's in there dissolved away. Tom

Andy

I think it'd be fine to soak your bits in Simple Green - just be sure
to lube them with router bit bearing lube or something else appropriate
as soon as they dry. If you're trying to get pitch off the blades, I
don't think Simple Green (a degreaser, right?) would be the most
effective solvent - I'd get some blade/bit cleaner and wipe off the
blades, and leave the lubricant in the bearings. Not worth going cheap
on tool maintainence if you have lots of money in the tools already.
Let us know what works,
Andy

Duane Bozarth

Jay Pique wrote:

Is it ok to just soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green
do you think? I just don't want to ruin the bearings.

Absolutely not. Do not immerse any bearing (and particularly fully
sealed ones where there's no way to re-lube) in any solvent.
Duane Bozarth

Andy wrote:

I think it'd be fine to soak your bits in Simple Green - just be sure
to lube them with router bit bearing lube or something else appropriate
as soon as they dry. ...

I think that is very bad advice...

B a r r y

Leon wrote:
NO!

Use a product intended for that purpose. CMT Formula 2050.

Grrrrreeeeaaaaattttttttttt Stuff!

Way mo' better than Simple Green, EZ-Off, washing soda, WD-40, mineral
spirits, jet fuel, spit...
bremen68

Leon wrote:
NO!

Use a product intended for that purpose. CMT Formula 2050.

snip

Gotta argee.........hitting sealed bearings with that kind of cleaner
will probably make for a ruined bearing later......

They have several different cleaners for blades and bits on the market.
I'd go with one of those.

Jay Pique

Andy wrote:
I think it'd be fine to soak your bits in Simple Green - just be sure
to lube them with router bit bearing lube or something else appropriate
as soon as they dry. If you're trying to get pitch off the blades, I
don't think Simple Green (a degreaser, right?) would be the most
effective solvent - I'd get some blade/bit cleaner and wipe off the
blades, and leave the lubricant in the bearings. Not worth going cheap
on tool maintainence if you have lots of money in the tools already.
Let us know what works,

The Simple Green definitely will take off the pitch, but it appears to
have also taken the lubrication out of the bearing as well. When I
spin it now you can sort of feel it wiggle just a touch, versus before.
I think I'll remove the bearings from now on before soaking them!
(Or, more likely, I'll get the CMT stuff someone else mentioned.)

So to summarize: I recommend you do NOT soak your bearing guided router
bits in Simple Green as it will negatively affect the bearings.

JP
*************
Meliora baby.

John B

Jay Pique wrote:
Andy wrote:

[...]

Chuck your bearing in a jar of motor oil and give a good shake and soak
for half an hour or so and it'll be fine.
Quite often router bit bearings become tight and stiff due to dust and
wear so every now and again I remove the bearing wash, soak it in turps
and then in motor oil. Have never had one seize up.
Regards
John
Duane Bozarth

CW wrote:

Since when do router bits come with sealed bearings?

Since forever...
CW

Since never. Look up the difference.

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
CW wrote:

Since when do router bits come with sealed bearings?

Since forever...

E. Hill

So to summarize: I recommend you do NOT soak your bearing guided router
bits in Simple Green as it will negatively affect the bearings.

Simple Green is fine for cleaning router bits. But, Simple Green is a
degreaser. As was suggested, you need to replace the lubrication that you've
flushed out.

Flushing the lubrication isn't the problem - that's a given when you soak
something in degreaser. You just have to replace the lubrication. Which,
btw, is probably what you want to do. Lubrication embedded with wood dust
isn't much of a lubricant.

Eric

George

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...

The Simple Green definitely will take off the pitch, but it appears to
have also taken the lubrication out of the bearing as well. When I
spin it now you can sort of feel it wiggle just a touch, versus before.
I think I'll remove the bearings from now on before soaking them!
(Or, more likely, I'll get the CMT stuff someone else mentioned.)

So to summarize: I recommend you do NOT soak your bearing guided router
bits in Simple Green as it will negatively affect the bearings.

Good idea to keep things containing water away from metals, especially if
you might have problems drying them afterward. Insides of bearings would
qualify.

Removing bearings to clean the carbide also allows you to use one of those
diamond files on the cutter _faces_ to keep the edge in decent condition. I
use WD40 as my cleaner and hone lubricant. Keeps the rust that might
develop on the shaft from my sweaty hands under control, too.

Doug Payne

On 07/10/2005 4:26 AM, E. Hill wrote:

Flushing the lubrication isn't the problem - that's a given when you soak
something in degreaser. You just have to replace the lubrication. Which,
btw, is probably what you want to do. Lubrication embedded with wood dust
isn't much of a lubricant.

And for that, try something like Bostik spray bearing lube.
Duane Bozarth

CW wrote:

If they were fully sealed, you wouldn't have to worry about the lube being
removed. HINT: They aren't sealed.

They are sealed, but some aren't "fully" sealed--and even a fully sealed
bearing when soaked in thin solvent will dilute the grease...

Jay Pique

I looked on the Freud website and it says their bearings are
"shielded". Rockler sells some replacement bearings that they list as
"sealed".

My bit was a Freud, and when I roll the bearing it just feels
different.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

JP

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:33:42 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

CW wrote:

If they were fully sealed, you wouldn't have to worry about the lube being
removed. HINT: They aren't sealed.

They are sealed, but some aren't "fully" sealed--and even a fully sealed
bearing when soaked in thin solvent will dilute the grease...

I think the term is "shielded"...
Leon

CW wrote:

Since when do router bits come with sealed bearings?

Since forever...

Actually router bearings are simply shielded. If they were actually sealed
you would not have to worry about a cleaner getting inside or having to
reoil.

Tom

On 6 Oct 2005 08:29:54 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

Is it ok to just soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green
do you think? I just don't want to ruin the bearings.

As you indicated in a subsequent post you found that this is not a
good idea. CW has indicated that these bearings are shielded not
sealed and there seems to be some confusion. Shielded bearings have a
metal shield which seals in the lubricant and seals out contaminants
but it does not contact the inner race so they are suitable for larger
particulate matter but virtually worthless for liquids. Sealed
bearings are available in contact and non-contact versions. The
non-contact version has a "rubber" ( I'll use "rubber" as seals are
made from a variety of materials depending on the application) seal
which normally rides inside a groove in the inner race and provides
better sealing than a shield but is still not effective for liquids.
The most common version of a sealed bearing has a "rubber" seal that
rides in contact with the inner race and provides the best protection
against contaminates - including liquids. The drawback to this seal
design is that the seal generates friction which increases torque but
most importantly generates heat which limits its operating speed. For
this reason (as well as cost) you will find these bearings to be
shielded and I would question any supplier who identifies them as
sealed (it's possible but unlikely). Also, bearings which are sealed
or shielded are lubed for life which means the lubricant is intended
to outlast the reasonable life of the bearing and they are not
designed to be relubricated. Hope this helps a little.
CC

We use CRL general purpose solvent and adhevise cleaner to clean the
bearings on flush trim bits when trimming laminate.
After wiping the bearing surface with a clean rag, spray on a good router
bit bearing lubricant. It is also a great contact and adhevise cleaner.
If you are not a business, you may have to contact them to find a local
distribitor of their products, or someone that can order for you.
Or, fill out their information and tell them you are jay's cabinet shop and
order anyway.
Chuck

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it ok to just soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green
do you think? I just don't want to ruin the bearings.

Thanks.
JP

CC

Guess it would be a help if I included the link. Sorry
http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPag...h.html?Origin=

If the link does not take you there.. search on crl2032 from their site
Chuck

ups.com...