ScRaPLeR

Default Incra LS Super System Is it worth the money?

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does
anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the
Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

BobS

Can't speak for the Incra System - never used it but I do have the D4. They
have several new models out, the D4R and the 1600 which you also may want to
consider.

As for the D4, it works as advertised and then some. My hand cut dovetails
look like they were made with a dull ax and I don't care how simple Frank
Klaus can make it look - I'll stay with my Leigh D4 jig.

Both companies make quality products - get premium prices and keep the
customers coming back. Guess that's about the best PR any company could ask
for...... I seriously doubt you would have any regrets with purchasing any
of them. What features appeal to you?

Bob S.

"ScRaPLeR" wrote in message

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does
anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the
Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

ScRaPLeR

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:14:13 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

Can't speak for the Incra System - never used it but I do have the D4. They
have several new models out, the D4R and the 1600 which you also may want to
consider.

As for the D4, it works as advertised and then some. My hand cut dovetails
look like they were made with a dull ax and I don't care how simple Frank
Klaus can make it look - I'll stay with my Leigh D4 jig.

Both companies make quality products - get premium prices and keep the
customers coming back. Guess that's about the best PR any company could ask
for...... I seriously doubt you would have any regrets with purchasing any
of them. What features appeal to you?

Bob S.

"ScRaPLeR" wrote in message
.. .

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does
anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the
Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

The ability to repeat cuts using the insertable templates really!
Especially the Incra with it's 1/1000th adjustments seems too good to
be true.

Sam the Cat

The ability to repeat cuts using the insertable templates really!
Especially the Incra with it's 1/1000th adjustments seems too good to
be true.

I have the older, twin linear design. When you look at the mechanics of
the jig riding at right angles to the fence which is held there by some
nylon screws there always seems to be some amount of play -- I am able to
make dovetails with the system but I am uncomfortable with anything over 5-6
inches in width. The wood is held vertically and clamped to the
perpendicular jig (cannot recall the name right now) -- the larger the
piece, the more precarious it gets. On the other hand I love the fence -- I
would not trade it for the world as a router fence

I am about to use the D4 that I have had sitting in the box for a month or
so -- seems to me the mechanics are a bit better in how the wood is secured

BillyBob

"ScRaPLeR" wrote in message

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does
anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the
Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

For making dovetails? If that's your objective, go for the Leigh. Using
the Leigh (or any dovetail jib) you can produce dovetails more quickly and
without having to look at a cursor position for each dovetail. BTW, I own
an Incra Jig Ultra. The previous owner used it a couple of times and shelved
it. He sold it to me for $50. After using it a bit, I'll probably sell it
on ebay for $50. For single cuts or trims, its fine. For repetitive cuts,
its tedious, though accurate.

Bob

George Firestone

The "bull" about adjusting by 1/1000th of an inch is outrageous nonsense. It
will never happen. Try setting up
a dial indicator reading thousands of an inch and you will find that when
you release and retighted the locking
lever the fence moves all over the place.
If you try to set the wheel for any number of clicks indicating thousandths
it doesn't repeat.
I use the LS but I also use a very long (4 inch) dial indicator in order to
get actual dimensions.
I wonder of anyone out there actually works as it is supposed to?

news

"ScRaPLeR" wrote in message

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does
anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the
Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

If you are looking at these to cut dovetails, and especially if you
are going to be doing a bunch of dovetails, get the Leigh D4R

I have both the Incra LS and the Leigh, and the while the Incra does a
fine job on dovetails, it is a lot more time consuming with the Incra
- no comparison, I can dovetail both ends of 4 drawer sides with the
Leigh in about the time it takes me to do just the end of 1 drawer
side on the LS

John

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:48:12 GMT, ScRaPLeR
wrote:

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does
anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the
Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

Rob V

Ill agree w/ what Sam said about once things get wide.

I just did a set of drawers 12" wide. I ended up making a custom jig that
slides on the fence that worked great - much better than the other 90' thing
w/ the screws.

Other than that - dovetails are cake on the incra.

[...]

ScRaPLeR

wrote:

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does
anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the
Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

Okay guys I am also intereted in doing most of my box joints on the
Incra. Is the leigh more or less capable of box joints? Thanks again
to all who have contributed to this thread.

ScRaPLeR

BobS

Does box joints just fine but you have to order the template for it. Check
Lee Valley site www.leevalley.com for costs. Others carry them also but I'm
kinda partial to Lee Valley (along with about 99% of the rest of the
group...)

Bob S.