Toller

Default A gloat!

I went to an auction today where there were thousands of board feet of home
cut pine. I had no real interest in it, but had to do something while
waiting for the woodworking equipment; so I watched.
One pile of reddish 8'x6" boards were about to go "no bid" (they would have
been added to the next lot for free) so I put a dollar on them. I figured
at that price they had to be good for something.
I just planed them. Curly Cherry. And not just curly cherry, but the curl
goes in perpendicular directions; would that be quilted? And for $0.05/bf.
Admittedly they plane to 5/8" (which might be why nobody wanted them, or
maybe it was the funny color) but still...

They are also odd for their color. Even after planing, they are the color
of cherry that has been exposed to light for several years. Is that just
because they are old and the color has somehow penetrated down? Certainly
makes them easier to match up.

They also had a pile of 2x6s there were purplish and heavy. No one got
excited about them and they went for a low price, so I figure it was some
non-commercial softwood that I was unfamiliar with. Geez, I wonder what
they were, and if I missed out on an even bigger gloat.

The equipment was a bust. A Grizzly 15" planer went for $100 less than
Grizzly's delivered price, and a crappy 30" long Craftsman jointer went for
$230.

Morris Dovey

Toller (in ) said:

| I went to an auction today where there were thousands of board feet
| of home cut pine. I had no real interest in it, but had to do
| something while waiting for the woodworking equipment; so I watched.
| One pile of reddish 8'x6" boards were about to go "no bid" (they
| would have been added to the next lot for free) so I put a dollar
| on them. I figured at that price they had to be good for something.
| I just planed them. Curly Cherry. And not just curly cherry, but
| the curl goes in perpendicular directions; would that be quilted?
| And for $0.05/bf. Admittedly they plane to 5/8" (which might be why
| nobody wanted them, or maybe it was the funny color) but still...

Yeah, you suck!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

tom

A $230 Craftsman jointer! Nice deal with the maple, though. I wonder
how much beautiful wood I've burned when I didn't know or care about
it's qualities. Now, I kinda wish I lived in an area where these
auctions happened. Kinda. Tom

Dave Hall

So I went to a tool auction today and found that they were selling a
bunch of rough cut lumber. They kinda listed it all as "pine", but I
noticed some heavy purplish wood that nobody was interested in so I
bid a little for it. Turns out to be 2" x 6" bird's eye purpleheart.
Really great stuff. I paid a total of $.03 per board foot for it. Some
other guy got some reddish wood for a buck. I assume it was some rusty
pine. Wouldn't it be a hoot if it were quilted cherry. Man I should
have bid on that. I did get me a 30" long Craftsman jointer for only
$230 though.