Toller

Default How to shape a daggerboard?

My sailboat's mahogany daggerboard is in sad shape and I decided to replace
it since I have more white oak than I know what to do with.

I made a blank 2"x15"X44". I intended on cutting the corners off on my
tablesaw, but at 35 pounds it didn't seem particularly safe.

So I went at it with my 3" belt sander with 50 grit, and my 2" planer. Both
will work, but they will take hours and hours and hours.

Any suggestions for doing it faster? A router might work, but that doesn't
seem like a good idea either. Would a 3 1/4" planer (rather than my 3a
Kmart planer) be much better?

Ken Muldrew

"Toller" wrote:

My sailboat's mahogany daggerboard is in sad shape and I decided to replace
it since I have more white oak than I know what to do with.

I made a blank 2"x15"X44". I intended on cutting the corners off on my
tablesaw, but at 35 pounds it didn't seem particularly safe.

So I went at it with my 3" belt sander with 50 grit, and my 2" planer. Both
will work, but they will take hours and hours and hours.

Any suggestions for doing it faster?

Maybe a hand-held power planer is the ticket for rough shaping.
They'll hog wood off in a hurry.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

Toller

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
My sailboat's mahogany daggerboard is in sad shape and I decided to
replace it since I have more white oak than I know what to do with.

I made a blank 2"x15"X44". I intended on cutting the corners off on my
tablesaw, but at 35 pounds it didn't seem particularly safe.

So I went at it with my 3" belt sander with 50 grit, and my 2" planer.
Both will work, but they will take hours and hours and hours.

Any suggestions for doing it faster? A router might work, but that
doesn't seem like a good idea either. Would a 3 1/4" planer (rather than
my 3a Kmart planer) be much better?

Spoke Shave. :-)

Yeh, I used to watch that guy (Underhill?) make stuff with old tools. He
would put the blank in a clamp and knock out a dagger board with a spoke
shave in minutes.
Do they even sell spoke shaves any more?

Doug Miller

In article , "Toller" wrote:

Do they even sell spoke shaves any more?

Yes.
no(SPAM)vasys

Toller wrote:

Yeh, I used to watch that guy (Underhill?) make stuff with old tools. He
would put the blank in a clamp and knock out a dagger board with a spoke
shave in minutes.
Do they even sell spoke shaves any more?

Yes, see:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...42&cat=1,50230

You might also want to look at a draw knife while your the

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41140

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Tom Banes

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:49:46 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

My sailboat's mahogany daggerboard is in sad shape and I decided to replace
it since I have more white oak than I know what to do with.

snip

1. White oak is not an appropriate wood for a daggerboard. It makes
great barrels because it swells so well when wet.

2. Drawknife to shape (got one if you want it, it's only 60+ years
old), plane or sander or spokeshave to finish.

Regards.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:49:46 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I made a blank 2"x15"X44".

An Arbortech cutter in an angle grinder. _NOT_ a chainsaw chain circle
(those are too dangerous). It cuts really quickly, so be careful not to
over-do it. Make a couple of dados down to the shape of a cardboard
template first, then joint them up.

Use a template that's deliberately over size. Then do the whole job
again with the right size of template. Going to final size in one pass
is for people who've been practicing lately!

A spokeshave or drawknife might be useful for finishing, but you'll be
wanting a curved travisher to work on an almost flat surface this wide.
The belt sander is probably the best finsihing step.

Lowell Holmes

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:49:46 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I made a blank 2"x15"X44".

An Arbortech cutter in an angle grinder. _NOT_ a chainsaw chain circle
(those are too dangerous). It cuts really quickly, so be careful not to
over-do it. Make a couple of dados down to the shape of a cardboard
template first, then joint them up.

Use a template that's deliberately over size. Then do the whole job
again with the right size of template. Going to final size in one pass
is for people who've been practicing lately!

A spokeshave or drawknife might be useful for finishing, but you'll be
wanting a curved travisher to work on an almost flat surface this wide.
The belt sander is probably the best finsihing step.

I cant imagine a 2" thick daggerboard, but I still think spoke shaves are
the way to go. I just purchased a travisher and it cost over $100 and took 2
months to get. I have a #3 Bailey plane that I set with a wide mouth opening
and use a convex iron in it. I use it as a scrub plane. If I needed to make
the dagger board thinner, I'd use the scrub plane and follow up with a jack
or smoother. To shape the edges, I would use the spoke shave or even a block
plane or a #4 Bailey.
I normally use a travisher to scoop out a chair seat. :-)

Toller

On a boatbuilding group someone suggested running it through the TS as
appropriate depths and taking it off with a chisel.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, don't you think?

Lowell Holmes

"Toller" wrote in message
news
On a boatbuilding group someone suggested running it through the TS as
appropriate depths and taking it off with a chisel.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, don't you think?

That will work.

I made a dagger board for a sunfish one time with a table saw, coping saw,
and a router to round the edges.
As I recall, the dagger didn't vary in thickness except on the leading and
trailing edges. I might have used a belt sander, I don't remember. Today I
would use hand planes and spoke shaves. A person has to use what ever tools
available to him. A 2" thick dagger sure sounds thick to me. :-)
I promise you that properly sharpened, spoke shaves are effortless to use in
shaping wood.

Toller

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote in message
news
On a boatbuilding group someone suggested running it through the TS as
appropriate depths and taking it off with a chisel.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, don't you think?

That will work.

I made a dagger board for a sunfish one time with a table saw, coping saw,
and a router to round the edges.
As I recall, the dagger didn't vary in thickness except on the leading and
trailing edges. I might have used a belt sander, I don't remember. Today
I would use hand planes and spoke shaves. A person has to use what ever
tools available to him. A 2" thick dagger sure sounds thick to me. :-)

It will finish up about 1 5/8". I should have planed the wood to size
before starting, but I underestimated the labor in reducing it and figures
it was better to start with too much than wish I had. Now it is too late,
since I can't plane 15".
The boat is about the same size and weight as a sunfish, but about twice the
sail. I guess that is why it needs a bigger board.

Lowell Holmes

It will finish up about 1 5/8". I should have planed the wood to size
before starting, but I underestimated the labor in reducing it and figures
it was better to start with too much than wish I had. Now it is too late,
since I can't plane 15".
The boat is about the same size and weight as a sunfish, but about twice
the sail. I guess that is why it needs a bigger board.

I didn't realize that my spell checker had removed the board from
daggerboard in my previous post.
I suggest you look for someone that can plane 15", maybe a wood working club
or a commercial shop. I had an oversized blanket chest lid sanded by a
commercial shop and he only charged $20.
If your in the Houston area, I can do it for you, using a scrub plane and
hand planes. Probably wouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. On the other
hand, there is sure to be someone at the Houston Woodworkers Club that has a
15" planer.

Toller

I bought a decent power planer and cut it down in 30 minutes. It is only
20% heavier than the mahogany board, when it should be 40% heavier, so
obviously I made it a bit thinner than I intended; but since oak is 50%
stronger than mahogany, that should not matter.

Still don't know if it actually fits, as the boat is 30 miles away with no
electricity.