Lowell Holmes

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:49:46 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I made a blank 2"x15"X44".

An Arbortech cutter in an angle grinder. _NOT_ a chainsaw chain circle
(those are too dangerous). It cuts really quickly, so be careful not to
over-do it. Make a couple of dados down to the shape of a cardboard
template first, then joint them up.

Use a template that's deliberately over size. Then do the whole job
again with the right size of template. Going to final size in one pass
is for people who've been practicing lately!

A spokeshave or drawknife might be useful for finishing, but you'll be
wanting a curved travisher to work on an almost flat surface this wide.
The belt sander is probably the best finsihing step.

I cant imagine a 2" thick daggerboard, but I still think spoke shaves are
the way to go. I just purchased a travisher and it cost over $100 and took 2
months to get. I have a #3 Bailey plane that I set with a wide mouth opening
and use a convex iron in it. I use it as a scrub plane. If I needed to make
the dagger board thinner, I'd use the scrub plane and follow up with a jack
or smoother. To shape the edges, I would use the spoke shave or even a block
plane or a #4 Bailey.
I normally use a travisher to scoop out a chair seat. :-)