R.H.

Default What is it? LXXVII

A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

#443: Hammer for body work, sheet metal work
#444: Tool for pressing/forming caps onto small bottles. Like vaccine
bottles etc.
#445: for folding paper. "Scribe" a groove into paper, then bend it
along that groove.
#447: some kind of quick caliper?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Norman D. Crow

#443: Hammer for body work, sheet metal work
#444: Tool for pressing/forming caps onto small bottles. Like vaccine
bottles etc.
#445: for folding paper. "Scribe" a groove into paper, then bend it
along that groove.
#447: some kind of quick caliper?

442 Stud or bolt remover

--
Nahmie

Badger

R.H. wrote:

A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

444. Shotgun cartridge roll crimper
Bruce Bowler

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:32:42 +0200, Nick Müller put fingers to keyboard

#444: Tool for pressing/forming caps onto small bottles. Like vaccine
bottles etc.

I'd think for likely it's for (re)loading shotgun shells

442 is a screw remover

Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

442 - "easy-out" type tool.
443 - bung hammer?
444 - roll crimper
445 - seaming tool
446 -
447 - some type of ice tong?

Xenophon

#443: Hammer for body work, sheet metal work
#444: Tool for pressing/forming caps onto small bottles. Like vaccine
bottles etc.
#445: for folding paper. "Scribe" a groove into paper, then bend it
along that groove.
#447: some kind of quick caliper?

442 Stud or bolt remover

437 dowel rod
Spud Demon

"R.H." writes in article dated Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:06:52 GMT:
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

436 looks like a fancy spindle.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Michael Houghton

442: screw/bolt extractor
443: smithing hammer, for getting into highly raised work
445: marking knife
447: haybale lifter thingy. The lifting point is between the
gear teeth. The lever is the release thingy that would
have a line on it

yours,
Michael
| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/

Doug Payne

On 01/09/2005 6:06 AM, R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

442. industrial hemorrhoid remover
443. autobody repair hammer
444. shotgun shell crimper
445. carpenter's marking/striking knife
446. some sort of alcohol burner?
447. log/timber carrier, maybe block ice carrier - handle is for
releasing the grip
Duane Bozarth

Michael Houghton wrote:

447: haybale lifter thingy. The lifting point is between the
gear teeth. The lever is the release thingy that would
have a line on it

Don't think it's a hayhook although I suppose it could have been used as
such.

Can't get much of a feel for the overall size as I have no idea what the
19" dimension is in reference to, but I'm thinking it looks more like a
light logging hook than for hay purposes.

But, hey, who knows what them crazy Canadians did, eh?
Doug Payne

On 01/09/2005 2:19 PM, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Can't get much of a feel for the overall size as I have no idea what the
19" dimension is in reference to, but I'm thinking it looks more like a
light logging hook than for hay purposes.

But, hey, who knows what them crazy Canadians did, eh?

Heyyyy, I resemble that remark!

I agree, too small for a hay hook, which typically only had one hook
with a T-handle. At least when I loaded hay those many years ago.
Nowadays it's giant round bales and a forklift, except for the local
Mennonites and Amish who still load horse-drawn wagons and loaders with
pitchforks.

Logging hooks are not usually big, at least not the handheld ones.
There's a practical limit to how big a log a couple of loggers can lift.
machineman

Rob
re # 436 The only thing I have seen that comes close is a tester for
finding out the hardness of optical pitch used to polish telescope
mirrors and lenses. Although they are usually calibrated with a scale
of some kind. Maybe it had a similar use for a different item. See the
url below

http://www.turbofast.com.au/astrotel/pitchtester.html

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Duane Bozarth

Doug Payne wrote:

On 01/09/2005 2:19 PM, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Can't get much of a feel for the overall size as I have no idea what the
19" dimension is in reference to, but I'm thinking it looks more like a
light logging hook than for hay purposes.

But, hey, who knows what them crazy Canadians did, eh?

Heyyyy, I resemble that remark!

I agree, too small for a hay hook, which typically only had one hook
with a T-handle. At least when I loaded hay those many years ago.

That's a hand hook for bundles or small square/round bales...

A double-hook similar to that shown was used often for loose hay in
lofts, loading/unloading wagons, etc. For that purpose it seems far to
small and I've not seen one w/ the ratchet mechanism, either.

Nowadays it's giant round bales and a forklift, except for the local
Mennonites and Amish who still load horse-drawn wagons and loaders with
pitchforks.

And, of course, don't forget the 40 or 60-ft boom stacker...

Here most everbody simply uses a balefork on the tractor for moving just
a few. Almost everybody has gone to the 2T round here as well.

Logging hooks are not usually big, at least not the handheld ones.
There's a practical limit to how big a log a couple of loggers can lift.

That's why I made my guess...I'm thinking this one might have been used
w/ a team. (But what do I know--ain't no trees within 200 miles of
here... )

Fred R

Regarding 447: Perhaps a clamping hook for pulling roots and smaller
stumps in clearing farm land. Agree that it is much too small and heavy
for a bale-grabber and too small for a loose-fodder fork, which more
typically have an 'armspan' of 6 feet or more.

--
Fred R
________________
Jeff Wisnia

R.H. wrote:

A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Did you ever tell us fer sure what 436 is?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Duane Bozarth

Fred R wrote:

Regarding 447: Perhaps a clamping hook for pulling roots and smaller
stumps in clearing farm land. Agree that it is much too small and heavy
for a bale-grabber and too small for a loose-fodder fork, which more
typically have an 'armspan' of 6 feet or more.

I'm thinking it was more like a "skidder" hence the latch mechanism?

Doesn't look tough enough to me for rough work such as the stump puller
although that's hard to judge from the picture--if knew how much it
weighed might help to judge.
R.H.

Can't get much of a feel for the overall size as I have no idea what the
19" dimension is in reference to...

The overall length in the first photo is 19".

Rob

Roy Dennis

443 Panel beater's or metal worker's dolly
445 Fleam - for bloodletting, possibly veterinarian
447 Log lifter or puller

Roy Dennis
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cornucopia-...s-Collectables

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Norman D. Crow

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Fred R wrote:

Regarding 447: Perhaps a clamping hook for pulling roots and smaller
stumps in clearing farm land. Agree that it is much too small and heavy
for a bale-grabber and too small for a loose-fodder fork, which more
typically have an 'armspan' of 6 feet or more.

I'm thinking it was more like a "skidder" hence the latch mechanism?

Doesn't look tough enough to me for rough work such as the stump puller
although that's hard to judge from the picture--if knew how much it
weighed might help to judge.

I agree! Puller for thornbrush, small stumps, etc. we used was more like a
pair of scissors, made of 1/2" thick steel with short chains attached to
handle ends & a ring where you hooked the pull chain.

--
Nahmie

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has been posted:

442. Broken drill bit

443. Sheet metal tool, perhaps. Set the ball end against the piece
being worked and strike the other end of the head with a mallet.

444. I'd guess it clamps to a bench and something gets turned.
Possibly the piece with a longer handle isn't actaually part of it.

445. Used for scribing designs in wood.

446. Defective ice cube tray

447. Part of a crane, used for picking up the new apprentice by the
shirt.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

442. Battery post reamer
443. Body hammer
444.. Wine bottle corker
447. Frog grab

From RCM.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Matthew Russotto

In article t,
Gary Brady wrote:

447. Frog grab

The vent core?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
John Martin

R.H. wrote:
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Most of the items have been identified correctly except 445.

445. is an eraser

John Martin

Trish

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

442 - a bit?
443 - hammer for roof nails?
444 - used for sealing a bottle cork?
445 - glass cutter?
446 - ice tray?
447 - calipers for measuring horse hoof size?

DanG

446. Is for making ice cubes from sheet ice. Fill the top with
hot/warm water to warm the fins. The weight and heat cut down
into the sheet ice making cubes.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

Did you ever tell us fer sure what 436 is?

Haven't been able to confirm what it is, here are the guesses so far:

-note holder
-static electricity dischargers
-puncture test tool
-grandfather's clock mechanism
-weights for the scales of justice
-for electrical experiments
-durometer
-tester for finding the hardness of optical pitch
-spindle for paper
-for making indentations in metal
-standard lightning rod balls and needles
-for gravity experiments
-desk decoration

Rob

R.H.

Five of the six have been answered correctly, still looking to confirm the
last one:

442. Easy-out

443. Raising hammer, for metal work

444. Shotgun shell reloader

445. Knife eraser

446. Ice cube maker

447. Haven't yet verified any of the guesses for this one.

A little more info can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan80.blogspot.com/

Rob

Lumpy

R.H. wrote:

446. Ice cube maker

A little more info can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan80.blogspot.com/

From the description, I'm having trouble
picturing how that device would work.

Does it "cut out ice cubes" from the block
of ice that it sits upon? If so, where is
the hot water held? Sorry if I'm not
seeing the obvious.

Lumpy
--
In Your Ears for 40 Years
http://www.lumpymusic.com

R.H.

From the description, I'm having trouble
picturing how that device would work.

Does it "cut out ice cubes" from the block
of ice that it sits upon? If so, where is
the hot water held? Sorry if I'm not
seeing the obvious.

In the second photo, notice the plugged hole on the left, that's where the
hot water goes. If you look in the first picture you'll notice that the
bottom of the cube tray is just past the holes on the side, so there is an
inch or two of room below the tray to hold the water.

http://pzphotosan80.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

Each of the last two sets of photos has had an item that has not been
verified, but there have been numerous guesses. I would be interested to
know what the individuals here think the solutions to these two might be so
that I could post on the answer page the percentage or number of votes for
the most popular.

436. Brass balls with rods and wood frame, please choose just one of the
following:

1. static electricity dischargers/electrical experiments
2. puncture test tool
3. grandfather's clock mechanism
4. weights for the scales of justice
5. durometer, used to measure hardness/tester for finding the hardness of
optical pitch
6. spindle for paper/note holder
7. for making indentations in metal
8. standard lightning rod balls and needles
9. for gravity experiments
10. desk decoration, no practical function for it

-----
-----
-----

Before you vote on the next one, please take a look at the close-up of it at
the link below. It shows the bracket on the back, it looks like it could
possibly be mounted on a beam or some other structure. Also note the small
spring in the upper right that looks to serve as a cushion for the lever.

447. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...03/pic447b.jpg

A. caliper
B. ice tongs
C. hay bale lifter
D. hook for small logs
E. loose hay lifter
F. clamping hook for pulling small stumps
G. wire/rope puller for tightening bundles or bales

If you would like to participate, please email the votes to me.

Rob

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Trish

"R.H." wrote in message
news
Five of the six have been answered correctly, still looking to confirm

the
last one:

442. Easy-out

443. Raising hammer, for metal work

444. Shotgun shell reloader

445. Knife eraser

446. Ice cube maker

447. Haven't yet verified any of the guesses for this one.

A little more info can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan80.blogspot.com/

Rob

It looks similar to calipers used for measuring skulls sizes

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

436. Brass balls with rods and wood frame, please choose just one of the
following:

Still an open question:
How do the upper ends of the needles/rods look like? Is there a hole or
whatever?

Before you vote on the next one, please take a look at the close-up of it at
the link below. It shows the bracket on the back, it looks like it could
possibly be mounted on a beam or some other structure. Also note the small
spring in the upper right that looks to serve as a cushion for the lever.

And also please note:
If you pull up the lever on the right, the thing will _open_. So if you
want to lift something up, you would have to press it down. Not the most
clever way, nor not?
So this device is not for lifting anything. IMHO, if you want. :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

R.H.

447. I've seen these hanging on the top rail of hay barns. I don't
know what they are , but seems small for picking up loose hay. I
always envisioned them as some kind of release hook system. As kids
we use to go to a lot of barns to play tag in wherein you couldn't
touch the floor. It's amazing no one ever got seriously hurt.

Sounds like a good possibility, someone posted a similar idea on my site:

"This is quite possibly a release mechanism for a drop door on an old farm
dump wagon.
The T like casting would be fastened to the side. The handle is offset to
allow clearance for your hand when operating."

I'll have to do a some research on this.

Rob

R.H.

R.H. wrote:

436. Brass balls with rods and wood frame, please choose just one of

the
following:

Still an open question:
How do the upper ends of the needles/rods look like? Is there a hole or
whatever?

I'll email the owner and ask him.

And also please note:
If you pull up the lever on the right, the thing will _open_. So if you
want to lift something up, you would have to press it down. Not the most
clever way, nor not?
So this device is not for lifting anything. IMHO, if you want. :-)

Good point, I'm starting to like the release mechanism idea more.

Rob

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

I'll have to do a some research on this.

What confuses me the most about that thing is: Where can you lift it.
OK, there is the "release-lever", but not very solid. Between the two
gears, there is some flat, that might have broken. But if this is where
some kind of handle has been, it should point outwards not inwards.
Or has this device been taken appart and back together wrong?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Duane Bozarth

Nick Müller wrote:

R.H. wrote:

I'll have to do a some research on this.

What confuses me the most about that thing is: Where can you lift it.
OK, there is the "release-lever", but not very solid. Between the two
gears, there is some flat, that might have broken. But if this is where
some kind of handle has been, it should point outwards not inwards.
Or has this device been taken appart and back together wrong?

You see what I saw...I gave it up as the images are too indistinct for
my eyesight to really discern the mechanism clearly enough to decide
what was what...

If one had it in ones' hands, all would probably come clear...then you
could tell if something's broke and quite probably if it is incorrectly
assembled.
Jeff Wisnia

Sam Soltan wrote:

I believe you got it correct, but the image is "upside down."

But why the nice wood stand?

Maybe a store display for a place which sold such things?

And presented upside down to reduce the chances of ripping someone's
clothes or flesh?

(It's hard for even me to believe what I just wrote.)

Without the spike parts I'd be tempted to say they had something to do
with some very cold weather and two different size metallic monkeys. :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)