R.H.

447. I've seen these hanging on the top rail of hay barns. I don't
know what they are , but seems small for picking up loose hay. I
always envisioned them as some kind of release hook system. As kids
we use to go to a lot of barns to play tag in wherein you couldn't
touch the floor. It's amazing no one ever got seriously hurt.

Sounds like a good possibility, someone posted a similar idea on my site:

"This is quite possibly a release mechanism for a drop door on an old farm
dump wagon.
The T like casting would be fastened to the side. The handle is offset to
allow clearance for your hand when operating."

I'll have to do a some research on this.

Rob