HMFIC- 1369

Default Ok Folks Here we go again..... Table Saws?

I got the Router stuff down the next is table saws.....

I've been making Mission style furniture for a while and have advanced to
making cabinetry, and noticed the more apparent failures of using lower cost
equipment or less persise equipment... So going through a garage tool
upgrade.

For lack of knowledge I turn to the Ol' Sears catalog... But recently this
doesn't seem to be Ol' reliable as it used to be.

Craftsman 10 in. Table Saw Sears item #00922104000 Mfr. model #OR35506

Grizzly G0575 10" Table Saw 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 110V Left-Tilt

Delta or Jet Models under $600... I would even consider a reconditioned
higher grade saw. I just have no experience with these to brands!

Thanks Joe

Chris

"HMFIC- 1369" PRC- wrote in message
I got the Router stuff down the next is table saws.....

I've been making Mission style furniture for a while and have advanced to
making cabinetry, and noticed the more apparent failures of using lower
cost
equipment or less persise equipment... So going through a garage tool
upgrade.

For lack of knowledge I turn to the Ol' Sears catalog... But recently this
doesn't seem to be Ol' reliable as it used to be.

Craftsman 10 in. Table Saw Sears item #00922104000 Mfr. model #OR35506

Grizzly G0575 10" Table Saw 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 110V Left-Tilt

Delta or Jet Models under $600... I would even consider a reconditioned
higher grade saw. I just have no experience with these to brands!

Thanks Joe

Joe,

I would put a gun to my head if I ever bought another Crapsman tool again.
No support, poor service, and the parts seem to be getting rare for even new
machines. Do me this much, go to Sears and ask the clerk at the tool
counter (the teenager with the hat on sideways, and about 20 piercing), if
they have an arbor nut. Than call Grizzly and ask them the same.

If I had the choice I would go with the Grizzly. Good phone support and
parts availability (as limited experience I have with them). There is no
valid reason to buy a Sears, unless you want the "advertised" 10hp maximum
developed. Look underneath that saw and try to find the rating on the motor
plate. Problem is they take the motor plates off the motor on the floor
models. Playing you for a fool.

Once that saw leaves the store, you are on your own, no local support from
that store. You call for service just you would from Grizzly. I have
heard, unconfirmed, that the first question that they ask if you call Sears
service for tools is "Are you using the tool professionally". If you answer
yes, than they promptly tell you that the warranty is void.

End my gripping about Sears. Than again I have a few thousand worth of
handtools from them that I am worried that I made a mistake buying them.
Not sure how long they will be around. Than again the tool section is so
small in the nearest Sears from me that I can hardly use the lifetime
guarantee. I am told they cannot order tools for guarantees. One of my
broken tools is a 1/4 universal joint. I have been three times in the past
4 months and they are always out of stock.

Chris

CaptMike

HMFIC- 1369 wrote:
I got the Router stuff down the next is table saws.....

I've been making Mission style furniture for a while and have advanced to
making cabinetry, and noticed the more apparent failures of using lower cost
equipment or less persise equipment... So going through a garage tool
upgrade.

For lack of knowledge I turn to the Ol' Sears catalog... But recently this
doesn't seem to be Ol' reliable as it used to be.

Craftsman 10 in. Table Saw Sears item #00922104000 Mfr. model #OR35506

Grizzly G0575 10" Table Saw 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 110V Left-Tilt

Delta or Jet Models under $600... I would even consider a reconditioned
higher grade saw. I just have no experience with these to brands!

Thanks Joe

Joe...

If you're serious about the reconditioned saw, shop around for an old
Unisaw (Delta) vintage late 40's early 50's. You almost can't kill
these saws, and the old addage "they don't build them like that anymore"
is so true. Check Craigslist, eBay, or other woodworking machinery
exchanges. You should be able to find a very useable old unisaw for
around $500. Spend a week taking it apart, cleaning/painting it, put it
back together and you'll be running a legend. This is the cabinet saw
every other one is modeled after, and restoration is relatively simple.
Add a modern fence and you'd have the equivilent of a $2000.00 new saw.

And many parts and accessories from the Older Unisaws fit newer ones too.
HMFIC- 1369

As you point out as bad as it is, I still can go to Sears and touchy feely
the stuff. With the exception of a place called the "toolbox" there is no
place HD, Lowes etc where I can ask ANY question, most places helpful but
certainly not knowledgeable. Today's Sears is not my Daddy's Sears that's
for sure.

I found out about Grizzly from the NG here and they have repeatedly got my
money and will continue to do so, but only after I determine they can
provide me with the best for the buck! I'm a selective educated consumer. I
do understand that why buy a $600 dollar saw when a $300 one will do just as
well..

Thanks, Joe

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

Chris

As you point out as bad as it is, I still can go to Sears and touchy feely
the stuff. With the exception of a place called the "toolbox" there is no
place HD, Lowes etc where I can ask ANY question, most places helpful but
certainly not knowledgeable. Today's Sears is not my Daddy's Sears that's
for sure.

I found out about Grizzly from the NG here and they have repeatedly got my
money and will continue to do so, but only after I determine they can
provide me with the best for the buck! I'm a selective educated consumer.
do understand that why buy a $600 dollar saw when a $300 one will do just
as
well..

Thanks, Joe

"Chris" wrote in message

"HMFIC- 1369" PRC-
wrote in message
[...]

You are correct on the touchy feely part. That is about the only advantage
that Sears has. Mind you though, my local Sears a total of two table saws.
You might be lucky and have a better one,. Normally when I go there I am
either alone in the entire tool section, or there might be one other.

Than again, I drive by this Sears on frequent trips to HD. It is sad it
almost looks like a ghost town, while at HD I can barely find a parking
space.

Just do not let the touchy felly get to you and buy what is the best value.

For that matter, have you looked at a Sears catalog lately? A good amount
of the tools are "catalog exclusive".

Chris

Joe...

If you're serious about the reconditioned saw, shop around for an old
Unisaw (Delta) vintage late 40's early 50's. You almost can't kill these
saws, and the old addage "they don't build them like that anymore" is so
true. Check Craigslist, eBay, or other woodworking machinery exchanges.
You should be able to find a very useable old unisaw for around $500.
Spend a week taking it apart, cleaning/painting it, put it back together
and you'll be running a legend. This is the cabinet saw every other one
is modeled after, and restoration is relatively simple. Add a modern fence
and you'd have the equivilent of a $2000.00 new saw.

And many parts and accessories from the Older Unisaws fit newer ones too.

Does that mean that the 60s models are not as desirable? Is there a known
date when there was a change in product, castings etc.

I ask this because I have been keeping a weak eye out for one. My cutoff
was before 1970, but might I be wrong? Any more info to share on this?

Now that I am over the 3 phase hurdle here, it leaves open more options.

Chris

Toller

If you're serious about the reconditioned saw, shop around for an old
Unisaw (Delta) vintage late 40's early 50's. You almost can't kill these
saws, and the old addage "they don't build them like that anymore" is so
true. Check Craigslist, eBay, or other woodworking machinery exchanges.
You should be able to find a very useable old unisaw for around $500.
Spend a week taking it apart, cleaning/painting it, put it back together
and you'll be running a legend. This is the cabinet saw every other one
is modeled after, and restoration is relatively simple. Add a modern fence
and you'd have the equivilent of a $2000.00 new saw.

If you have the budget and room for it, that is a good suggestion; if you
are lucky enough to find one.

I have a great craftsman saw I bought used. It was $250, but had enough
upgrades to have a retail of maybe $900. Since I didn't know anything about
saws I was lucky that it had been well maintained and in perfect alignment.
Still, I recommend the used route if you are trying to economize. (wasn't
your last post about cheap routers?)

HMFIC- 1369

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

"Chris" wrote in message

"HMFIC- 1369" PRC-
wrote in message
[...]

We have about 5 Sears within 15 miles, some have better tool departments
then others. Sears does favor hiring old salts over the kids, some know ****
and some don't. Lowes and Home Depots to me are more product marketers then
they are a Hardware, Lumber or Tool shop and Honestly do a poor job in those
3 areas. I can walk into my Ace and say I want this regardless of how odd,
he has it and better, knows where it is and even gets it.

If we get to the point where stores like Sears vanish we will be screwed. I
will not put it as my top 5 choices on anything, but I can go there and see
that yes I like the way it does this, but this looks like **** etc etc. It
does give me ideas and opinions I can't get elsewhere. There is a place in
Union NJ on Route 22 that used to be and still is a machine shop that now
sels tools, and appears to have a wide selection in stock to check out, just
a pain in the ass to get there.

and you can't beat Grizzlys Catalog!!!!

Thanks!

HMFIC- 1369

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

My last inquiry concerned router tables ($400) range, I did reply about
starting out with a cheap router and still somewhat stand by that. I did
Tool & Die as a kid, and for what ever reason I was very skilled and
accurate to .00001 of an inch with metals. In the late 70's I tried my hand
with wood.... it lasted about a week. I tried again in the 90's lasted maybe
24 hours longer. No matter what I made in wood it looked like some not very
talented 8 year olds bird house. Even the mahogany speaker cabinets looked
like a bird house.

My heart was broken, I was a wood working failure. I accepted that as a fact
until 9/11 destroyed my office and I had a few months to kill until we
relocated midtown. I got a bug up my ass because I saw this Mission style
table with an Asian influence that went for 5K I liked the table and said I
can do that... I did all by hand Ahhh I worked great with HAND WOOD
TOOLS.... but apply power and it all turned to ****. So if I paid 50 bucks
for a power tool I knew in my heart it was money being thrown away.

After almost 3 years my confidence built on solid experience, I re-ventured
into the world of power tools, I bought a dirt cheap router and table....
the simple work looked good! So now I'm a mid range type guy experience
wise. I buy the best tools not always the most expensive and I base my
purchases on usage. Something I will use every day and need great
accuracy.... I'll buy the best for the job, but **** work and **** jobs, I
don't throw much money in......

Thanks, Joe

George E. Cawthon

Chris wrote:
[...]

Good grief. Go to a Harbor Freight store and buy
a set when on sale (1/2" 3/8" and 1/4") The gas
you spent going to Sears would have paid for it
(assuming you round trips were about 10 miles).
Chris

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Good grief. Go to a Harbor Freight store and buy a set when on sale (1/2"
3/8" and 1/4") The gas you spent going to Sears would have paid for it
(assuming you round trips were about 10 miles).

George,
Trust me I am cheaper than cheap. It is actually about 18 miles to Sears,
one way. All my trips to the "big city" are well-coordinated. Problem is
that I think I have the luck of having one of the worst Sears stores
possible, thus my skew. I actually have a drawer on my tool chest that I
keep the broken Sears tools, awaiting the trip. Actually it might be an
advantage to me having such a sub-par Sears near me. I was in one of the
larger / better ones near my father a while back. I was like a kid in the
candy store. Wallet took a big hit too. Of course when I was there I did
not have my collection of tools awaiting return.

When the time comes to go to the big city Sears is on my stop. This is if I
am in a good mood as most of the time my experience there is less than
positive.

I will let you know that I am starting to give up on them. I had been
looking for a couple of months for a Allen / hex head, socket set. For two
months they have been out of stock. Enco got my order.

Worth mentioning, Enco got my order for a 115 piece drill bit set as it was
on sale for $79, made in the USA. I do believe it is the exact set that
Sears sells for $279. Than again there is no advantage of buying drill bits
at Sears.

Unfortunately Enco had a 3/4 ratchet set on sale for $41. Wow!!!!!!! Made
me think hard as to why I paid close to $250 for the Craftsman one a couple
of years ago. As much as I use it, the $41 should of been fine.

Chris

No

OK - Another Sears rant!

For me, Sears hardware, is the closest
hardware/tool/paint/lawn&garden/elec/plumbing store.

When I need to pick up something quick I begrudgingly go there. I only buy
things there like romex connectors, electrical boxes and other non-craftsman
branded commodities. I will NEVER buy another craftsman tool.

I lent out my stud finder to someone, never got it back. Went to Sears.
Bought this fancy one with digital readout, AC detection, etc. The thing
didn't work for crap. Returned it. Went to lowes, bought a name brand,
worked like a champ and was 1/3 the price.

Needed a jigsaw - Want a bosch. Was doing a job that did not require
precision and Sears had one on sale. This thing has soo much blade
deflection, the base will not stay square to the blade, the base slides
forward and back, the saw doesn't really fit into its case. Waste of $$$.

Bought a 3/8 and 1/2" drive socket set with one fitted case included. Each
socket has its designated space in the case. I figured, sears hand tool, how
could I go wrong? I unpacked everything, put each socket in its proper place
and closed/latched the case. I then went to carry the set to my garage.
Almost every one of the sockets under about 5/8" drooped to the bottom of
the case, out of their proper space! There was nothing defective with the
case. It was just a bad design. A piece of foam 'fixed' the problem. I have
lost soo many sockets because of this crappy design.

Router table - I needed an inexpensive tabletop router table. Bought a
crapsman, told the slacker working there I had a PC 690. Bought the table
and found out that the hole placement was only for the crapsman routers and
I needed an adapter. 'nuther $5 and I had a jury rigged router table. The
thing would blow away in the wind if I wasn't careful. I was able to use the
switch from it when I built my own table. Sold the table at a garage sale
for a couple of bucks.

And way back - They had a brand called husky. Were talking about clothes for
fat kids. My mom made me where that stuff, I was ridiculed in school.

Anyway - I have made a commitment to myself that I will never buy another
craftsman branded ANYTHING. I may still go there for the occasional nut or
screw but that's it. I have been burned by craftsman too many times.

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

RonB

Joe:
I would stay away from Craftsman. That is said by a guy who got by with one
of the famous 70's vintage Craftsman table saws for more than 25 years. I
am not specifically familiar with the Grizzly saw you mentioned but between
my son-in-law and myself we have had great luck with Grizzly.

If you can raise your budgetary number a bit you can probably buy a saw that
won't have you upgrading in a few years. The Grizzly 1023s or "sl" - (left
tilt) are good cabinet saws that offer the best tool value available. If
you search down on this group you will find a lot of comments about the 1023
series of saws. I have had mine for four years and love it.

RonB

Robert Bonomi

In article OMuPe.34288$M3.1260@trnddc05,
HMFIC- 1369 PRC- wrote:
I got the Router stuff down the next is table saws.....

I've been making Mission style furniture for a while and have advanced to
making cabinetry, and noticed the more apparent failures of using lower cost
equipment or less persise equipment... So going through a garage tool
upgrade.

For lack of knowledge I turn to the Ol' Sears catalog... But recently this
doesn't seem to be Ol' reliable as it used to be.

Craftsman 10 in. Table Saw Sears item #00922104000 Mfr. model #OR35506

Grizzly G0575 10" Table Saw 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 110V Left-Tilt

Delta or Jet Models under $600... I would even consider a reconditioned
higher grade saw. I just have no experience with these to brands!

On a "bang for the buck" basis -- It is *really* hard to beat the Ryobi BT3100.
It is not a 'heavy duty' saw, but it _is_ a good (and _surprisingly_precise_)
hobbiest tool, priced at about $300, new. Often available used for 1/3-1/2
less.

The Grizz contractor is good,

The _new_ Craftsman Contractor is reputed to be a pretty good weapon. Don't
know if that one is the SKU/model-number you cited above or not. (other
Craftsman power tools of anything approaching recent vintage are really cheap
sh*t; the newly-introduced table saws are a _very_ different -- read as
'better' -- class of tool)

A used Delta contractor (34-4xx series) is in the price-range you're looking
at -- new, circa $900.

Also look at "General", out of Canada -- not to be confused with their
"General International" line, which are Far East imports.

Lastly, you might want to look at the 'Saw Stop' brand. available only
directly from the manufacturer. It is hefty construction, and one of the
models (don't remember if it is the cabinet, or the contractor) is priced
quite competitively.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Someone was telling me about how they lived near the Grizzly showroom.
If you're lucky enough to be able to drive over there, it's quite an
experience.

And as it's been said many times, Grizzly has great customer service!

Jack

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

George E. Cawthon

Chris wrote:
[...]

My Sears is only 4 miles away and it is pretty
good. The HF is only 3 miles away. I see a lot
of stuff at Sears and other Stores that is
identical to what HF sells. Of course they also
have stuff that is different, sometimes only a
little different. $19 router bit set at HF is
sold by Sears for $30. And a 3' 12 gage electric
cord with 3 outlets costs $3 buck on sale at HF,
at Sears it is $7 and at Lowes and Home Depot is
sells for $11. We ARE talking about identical
items.

I have a set of deep impact sockets from HF for
$20. Would have cost a fortune elsewhere and I
wanted just one to use with a torque wrench for
trailer wheels, but could use the others on
occasion. Figured there was no way I could break
an impact socket, and I haven't.

Obviously you don't have an HF nearby. That set
of universal joints I mentioned costs about $2.98.
I bought a set of 5 gas line disconnectors
(essentially plastic washer like gizmos)for $11 at
a local auto place so I could change the gas
filter on my truck. The next day I bought a set
of stubby ratchets (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2") for
$6.00 at HF. Sure the design is a bit bulky, but
they work. Too bad HF doesn't have the gas line
disconnectors as they would probably sell them for
$3.00 and still make a heck of a profit. I mean ,
how much could it cost to manufacture the set of 5
plastic gizmos? 50 cents?
Chris

Chris wrote:
[...]

Wish I had an HF that close. Sounds like all good buys for a homeowner, so
why not.
I just recently purchased a 115piece drill bit set. HSS at Enco on sale for
$79.
I swear it is the exact same set that Sears sells for $279.
Both made in the US. This to me is the final straw with Sears.

With the influx of cheap import tools, I think buying cheap and replacing it
with something better when it breaks, or you find you are using a sub-par
tool, is the way to go. I am only referring to hand tools.
I am done investing in Craftsman tools. One price, two support, and most
importantly, I think Sears' days are numbered.

Chris

Where do all the dead table saws go?? Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 34 February 29th 04 05:01 PM
New bandsaw saga PartII (long) Bruce Woodworking 0 December 30th 03 06:41 PM
10" table saws SagDEG Woodworking 8 December 29th 03 08:54 AM
Table Saws at Costco or Sam's Club??? nickelpar Woodworking 6 December 14th 03 02:37 PM
Craftsman Table Saws KirkH Woodworking 21 November 15th 03 11:43 PM