SagDEG

Default 10" table saws

I'm buying a new table saw and will use it for building cabinets, small
furniture, and picture frames, etc. Not professionally, just as a doe
yourselfer and for friends. This is my first table saw, but I've used some
older craftsman table saws owned by friends.

I'm considering the craftsman 24830. Does anyone have this saw or can you
contrast it with a grizzly or other comparable saw?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 924830000

thanks and feedback much appreciated.

SK

Toller

"SagDEG" wrote in message
I'm buying a new table saw and will use it for building cabinets, small
furniture, and picture frames, etc. Not professionally, just as a doe
yourselfer and for friends. This is my first table saw, but I've used

some
older craftsman table saws owned by friends.

I'm considering the craftsman 24830. Does anyone have this saw or can you
contrast it with a grizzly or other comparable saw?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ertical=TOOL&p
id=00924830000

Its fine, I almost bought one a few months ago. (Instead I bought a heavily
upgraded used Craftsman for half the price. Give that some thought.)
But... unless you are limited to 13a, the motor seems a bit small.

If you are a member of their craftsman club, or whatever they call it, you
can periodically get a discount on it.

Mike G

Don't own a Craftsman table saw or Grizzly so I've got no way to do a
comparison and I don't know what kind of responses you are going to get.
However, keep in mind that there is a lot to be said for being able to go to
the nearest Sears if there are problems with the machine as opposed to
dealing with someone you can't confront face to face, not to mention that
whole shipping back and forth thing..

Just a thought

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"SagDEG" wrote in message
I'm buying a new table saw and will use it for building cabinets, small
furniture, and picture frames, etc. Not professionally, just as a doe
yourselfer and for friends. This is my first table saw, but I've used

some
older craftsman table saws owned by friends.

I'm considering the craftsman 24830. Does anyone have this saw or can you
contrast it with a grizzly or other comparable saw?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 924830000

thanks and feedback much appreciated.

SK

Traves W. Coppock

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:39:25 GMT, "SagDEG"
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

I'm buying a new table saw and will use it for building cabinets, small
furniture, and picture frames, etc. Not professionally, just as a doe
yourselfer and for friends. This is my first table saw, but I've used some
older craftsman table saws owned by friends.

snip

i would advise you against the model you showed only to say, if you
buy that one, you are limited on the router you may attach to the
router wing. . . only craftsman will fit, unless they drastically
changed that recently.
that said, the main saw is great, i own one and have had it for about
two years. once you set it, and tune the thing up a bit,,,you'll be
real happy im sure.

flames be damned, i love my C-man TS

hehe

Traves
Greg G.

Toller said:

Its fine, I almost bought one a few months ago. (Instead I bought a heavily
upgraded used Craftsman for half the price. Give that some thought.)
But... unless you are limited to 13a, the motor seems a bit small.

From the picture it looks like a left-tilt. Is this correct?

Greg G.

Alan W

I picked up a used Jet contractors saw with a home built cabinet under
it, a 52" Vega utility fence, several throat plates, the original Jet
Fence, and the finger saver pusher for $350.00 early this fall.

I replaced the belt, both bearings on the arbor, put a WW II blade on
it, and spent a while aligning it up.

I'm in it about $500 with all that. You will have to buy a blade for
the craftsman so factor that in. The wreck here says the Frued
Glueline blades and their crosscut blades are very good for less money
than the WWII, but I find myself always wondering.. I wonder how the
WWII would have cut this. On the purple heart I am ripping now, the
edge is definetly _better_ than handplaning due to the plane pulling
up reversing grain and the table saw does not.

Alan
SagDEG

Great input. Thanks to all that responded.

SK

Traves W. Coppock

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:37:39 -0500, Greg G. Crawled out of the shop
and said. . .:

snip

From the picture it looks like a left-tilt. Is this correct?

Greg G.

IIRC, all c-man TS's are left tilt,,,not sure about the cabinet saw
they sell
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Traves W. Coppock newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:37:39 -0500, Greg G. Crawled out of the shop
and said. . .:

snip

From the picture it looks like a left-tilt. Is this correct?

Greg G.

IIRC, all c-man TS's are left tilt,,,not sure about the cabinet saw
they sell

You recall incorrectly. My dad had a Craftsman contractor, from the early 60s,
that was right tilt.