Mark and Kim Smith

Default Where do all the dead table saws go??

Is there an elephant graveyard of Unisaws?? Have they been discovered
by those outside of our country, similar to muscle cars and old hotrods,
to be packed into shipping containers and shipped overseas?? Are they
just slowly forgotten and end up as a shelf, supporting boxes of
christmas decorations in the dark corner of a garage. Does the high
school wood shop send them to the auto shop for a forgotten repair,
where they then end up pieces in a box to be dumped while beautifying
the school? Since it's creation in the late thirties, the Unisaw has
been a top contender. Where have all these old beasts gone?? For years
and years, hundreds and hundreds of Unisaws have been made. Where are
all these old soldiers? They can't all be land fill. They can't all be
in service. If they were, owwm.com would have more than just the
handful of photos they tease me with. My local paper is of no help.
For a moment I thought I had found one but the seller was describing a
saw that was not in front of him. All other calls return "Well, it has
four legs." So where do all the old dead table saws go??

Tom Watson

On 27 Feb 2004 05:40:36 EST, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

[...]

OWWM

(Pronounced "Ohm" and chanted while sitting in the lotus position in
the contemplation of rare and dirty paper.)

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
George

One, complete with repulsion/induction motor, is still regularly and soundly
abused by students at our HS daily.

OTOH, I know one which has stood in the center of a 40x60 tin shed full of
junk - unused - for almost 20 years. I've tried to buy it twice....

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Is there an elephant graveyard of Unisaws??

.. Does the high
school wood shop send them to the auto shop for a forgotten repair,
where they then end up pieces in a box to be dumped while beautifying
the school? Since it's creation in the late thirties, the Unisaw has
been a top contender. Where have all these old beasts gone??

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

OWWM

(Pronounced "Ohm" and chanted while sitting in the lotus position in
the contemplation of rare and dirty paper.)

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

I have started my own graveyard in my basement...no room in the shop or
workshop & too valuable for parts to toss out until well stripped...two
Delta contractor saws on stands...two Makita benchtop saws with sliding
tables...three Makita saws without sliding tables...half a dozen lightweight
imported junk saws etc etc.
I try to make the customers take the whole saw if they want parts from it
for the price of the parts or I would still have twice as many.....some
will, some won't.

I'll have to sit them in the driveway on a nice sunny weekend.....no
reasonable offers refused type of thing.....anything left on Monday morning,
in the truck to the dump.

Owwm mahni padme owwm......innit?

Jon~

Larry C in Auburn, WA

This is a troll, right? Let me get this straight, you want to know where
all the dead Unisaws go. I don't own a uni, but I've read this NG for years
and have learned that Unisaws NEVER die. Good try, but come up with a more
plausible question Mark...

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

[...]

Duke

http://www.owwm.com for the brevity challenged.
--
Cheers!

Mark and Kim Smith

Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

This is a troll, right? Let me get this straight, you want to know where
all the dead Unisaws go. I don't own a uni, but I've read this NG for years
and have learned that Unisaws NEVER die. Good try, but come up with a more
plausible question Mark...

No troll. I'm looking for suggestions besides the usual classified
hunt. Old Uni's never die but, unfortunately, their owners do. Looking
at local "used machinery" businesses, I can find anything I want that
will turn a chunk of metal into a useful product but not a piece of
wood. On the left coast here, old ww machines seem to be a rarity.
Anything eBay produces is usually expensive plus a bundle to ship (
don't fool yourself, eBay is not buyer friendly.) I don't mind the
hunt, the question is where to hunt.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm an ol' balloon tire bike nut.
In that hobby, everyone knows that the bulk of prewar / postwar
ballooners come out of the mid west. On a regular basis, a rarity will
be plucked from a barn and put on the market. Those bikes just don't
come out of California ( although they usually end up here. ) Can the
same be said for old ww machines? I remember high school had 5 or 6 of
these machines in shop ( specialized technical school, lots of machines!
) After all the teachers and students that have come and gone, these
machines are still maintained and in use?!? They were old when I was
using them 25 years ago!

So where to look? Auctions? Bug the local schools for their surplus?
What seems to be successful? Do specialty shops exist that deal owwm
only? Again, I don't mind the hunt. I'm just looking for leads on
where to hunt!

Jeffrey Thunder

In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith writes:

What seems to be successful? Do specialty shops exist that deal owwm
only? Again, I don't mind the hunt. I'm just looking for leads on
where to hunt!

You can take a peek at the machinery exchange on woodweb:

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/machinery.pl

Perusing that link, you'll find some outfits which deal in used machinery
(some of it older). In my very limited experience, the great
buys/gloats you see on the wreck are not found at such outlets, but
at auctions, estate sales, garage sales, etc...

--
Jeff Thunder, proud owner of Roger Cliffe's "old" shaper
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences

Mark and Kim Smith

Jeffrey Thunder wrote:

In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith writes:

What seems to be successful? Do specialty shops exist that deal owwm
only? Again, I don't mind the hunt. I'm just looking for leads on
where to hunt!

You can take a peek at the machinery exchange on woodweb:

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/machinery.pl

Perusing that link, you'll find some outfits which deal in used machinery
(some of it older). In my very limited experience, the great
buys/gloats you see on the wreck are not found at such outlets, but
at auctions, estate sales, garage sales, etc...

Thanks for the link! Now I'll have something to do at work
today........I mean in my spare time!

Leslie G

I don't own one either. I was also under the impression that Unisaws don't
die.

Leslie

--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote in message
[...]

Larry C in Auburn, WA

Sorry Mark, I know you aren't a troll, I was just trying a feeble
attempt at a good natured poke of fun at Unisaw owners. I wish I could
answer your question. I've probably been to 200 auctions in the last 10
years and I don't think I've ever seen a Unisaw available. I've run
across many Crapsmans though. Maybe the answer is they really don't
fall apart and they get passed down from father to a son. With most
families having 2-3 kids it might actually be feasible that dad's
beloved saw would pass to one of the kids.

--
Larry C in Auburn WA
[...]

Fred the Red Shirt

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote in message news:clI%b.407293$I06.4413262@attbi_s01...
This is a troll, right? Let me get this straight, you want to know where
all the dead Unisaws go. I don't own a uni, but I've read this NG for years
and have learned that Unisaws NEVER die. Good try, but come up with a more
plausible question Mark...

Well about 20 years ago Bechtel buried some table saws and other power
tools out in the desert. Only they weren't quite dead yet.

--

FF
Pat Barber

You need to hang out at http://www.owwm.com/ for a month or
two... There are usually several saws that show up either for
sale or auction...

Getting a "clean" and "cheap" Unisaw are damn near impossible.

There will be the "odd" deal from time to time but the good
old web has driven up the prices of old iron by a good bit.

Here is place to "start":

http://www.nebraskatool.com/table_saws.htm

BUT these dealers are NOT fools... they know the prices quite
well.

Your best bet is a "fixer upper" and some sweat equity but
you should know that a "fixed up" saw will run close to
$1,000 for a total overhaul...

For example:

Old school auction table saw(Unisaw) with no fence and 3 phase motor.
The above saw probably has a fence(Jet Lock) and fairly clean.

Average selling price $500 - $900

New Marathon single phase 3hp motor $380
New 50" Biesemeyer Commercial Fence $360
New mobile base $100
New paint job $ 50
New set of belts $ 50
New set of bearing $ 50
----
$990
saw $600
----
__ $1590

Do you SEE what I mean ????

or

You get lucky and find a "killer" deal for $850
on a saw that's 30 years old and the guy took care
of it.

Here is "my" "fixer upper":

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb...ID-639331.html

It cost me $165 at a school auction...

BUT it's single phase and ran like a race horse when I got it home.
I added the fence and the mobile base and paint job.

It "ain't no Unisaw" but a 1966 12"-14" Tilting Arbor table saw.

It cost "around" $2,000 brand new in 1966.

What do you think it's worth now ????

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

No troll. I'm looking for suggestions besides the usual classified
hunt. Old Uni's never die but, unfortunately, their owners do. Looking
at local "used machinery" businesses, I can find anything I want that
will turn a chunk of metal into a useful product but not a piece of
wood. On the left coast here, old ww machines seem to be a rarity.
Anything eBay produces is usually expensive plus a bundle to ship (
don't fool yourself, eBay is not buyer friendly.) I don't mind the
hunt, the question is where to hunt.

So where to look? Auctions? Bug the local schools for their surplus?
What seems to be successful? Do specialty shops exist that deal owwm
only? Again, I don't mind the hunt. I'm just looking for leads on
where to hunt!

WebsterSteve

[...]

If you're in St. Louis, I know a guy who knows a guy who has a
Powermatic 65 or 66 (he's not sure which). 1 HP motor, table needs
some work and no fence. I think it was 3 or 4 hunnert.

They're out there - you just need to keep your eyes open.
Nova

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Is there an elephant graveyard of Unisaws??

Yes, it's in Menomonee Falls, WI.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

BIG JOE

I always wondered that about corvettes. I mean, how often do you see
a pre-1982 Corvette on the road anymore? They are made of fiberglass,
so they aren't rusting away.

OTOH, I have never questioned the fact I haven't seen a Yugo since six
months after the last one was built.

Joe
Unisaw A100

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Since it's creation in the late thirties, the Unisaw has
been a top contender.

It was written somewhere/someplace and read by me at that
time that there were over 600,000 Unisaws as of that moment
in time. I seem to remember this all taking place tenish
years ago.

Where have all these old beasts gone??

I couldn't tell you but I can tell you the very first Unisaw
is still in use today and looks almost as good as it did
when it was sold in 1939.

UA100
Unisaw A100

Nova wrote:
Yes, it's in Menomonee Falls, WI.

In your best Milwaukeese this would be pronounced, Da False.

Oh, and I only have one. Band saws, that's a whole nudder
kettle a fish.

UA100, who did ship off the twin 30's vintage Delta 12" band
saws to their new home in the Carolinas...
Mark and Kim Smith

snip

Awesome!! Nice find!! Where's a good place to find info on school
auctions? How much of a hit and miss is the usual "general" auctions
where they have cars, bikes, jewelery, etc? In other words, is there a
decent ratio of machinery at these general auctions? ( If you have
experience with those.)

That's exactly where I'm headed. A restoration. Which would not be
beyond my capabilities. I already plan on the elbow grease, fence, and
motor. The rest is easier to come by ( for me, anyway.) As with any
"collecting", I would love to find the "used only once, get it out of
here for $10" deal. But I'm also aware that it just might not happen in
my lifetime. I'm okay with that. I'm prepared to spend for the good
foundation that can be brought back to life!

Mark and Kim Smith

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote in message news:clI%b.407293$I06.4413262@attbi_s01...

This is a troll, right? Let me get this straight, you want to know where
all the dead Unisaws go. I don't own a uni, but I've read this NG for years
and have learned that Unisaws NEVER die. Good try, but come up with a more
plausible question Mark...

Well about 20 years ago Bechtel buried some table saws and other power
tools out in the desert. Only they weren't quite dead yet.

Were those next to all those B29's at China Lake?? I bet you if Tony
Mazzoli let's use look inside Doc at Witchita, we'll find them!!
http://b-29.boeing.com Time to fire up the Terraserver and the GPS to
go a-lookin'!!!

Mark and Kim Smith

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Since it's creation in the late thirties, the Unisaw has
been a top contender.

It was written somewhere/someplace and read by me at that
time that there were over 600,000 Unisaws as of that moment
in time. I seem to remember this all taking place tenish
years ago.

Where have all these old beasts gone??

I couldn't tell you but I can tell you the very first Unisaw
is still in use today and looks almost as good as it did
when it was sold in 1939.

UA100

600,000 Unisaws! The odds could be in my favor! Imagine when you add
Powermatics and other manufacturers to that list!?! How many other
boneheads are like me, making their next hobby owwm's?? At least I
found something constructive to do between project "orders" from Swmbo!

Any web space dedicated to that first one??

Tom Kohlman

Be careful Mark and Kim Smith...you are poking around a secret society that
would make "Eyes Wide Shut" look like a kids pajama party. I know for a fact
that Unisaw owners have to swear to a secret oath upon delivery. If they
don't agree, the Unisaw goes away and they get a Craftsman. They have a
secret handshake and everything, kinda like Fred Flintstone's Water Buffalo
Lodge (yak ak a dak...you can fill in the rest). I understand the
initiation rites are not for the faint of heart.

Part of the oath is "succession planning"...if one of the members "achieves
room temperature", the machines are secretly re-distributed amongst the
membership. Hence they never hit the open market.

All that scared the hell out of me a few years ago and I bought the
contractor's saw instead.

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Since it's creation in the late thirties, the Unisaw has
been a top contender.

It was written somewhere/someplace and read by me at that
time that there were over 600,000 Unisaws as of that moment
in time. I seem to remember this all taking place tenish
years ago.

Where have all these old beasts gone??

I couldn't tell you but I can tell you the very first Unisaw
is still in use today and looks almost as good as it did
when it was sold in 1939.

UA100

600,000 Unisaws! The odds could be in my favor! Imagine when you add
Powermatics and other manufacturers to that list!?! How many other
boneheads are like me, making their next hobby owwm's?? At least I
found something constructive to do between project "orders" from Swmbo!

Any web space dedicated to that first one??

Unisaw A100

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Any web space dedicated to that first one??

Just this.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=90

UA100
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:57:49 GMT, Pat Barber
brought forth from the murky depths:

New Marathon single phase 3hp motor $380
New 50" Biesemeyer Commercial Fence $360
New mobile base $100
New paint job $ 50
New set of belts $ 50
New set of bearing $ 50
----
$990

Whoa! The next time you need an OWWM tuned up and
painted just let me know. That's good money for a
couple days' work.

Of course, I could get a motor for $70, the base
for $50, paint for $10, belts for $25 (linkbelt),
and bearings for $20. I guess I'm a better shopper
than you and could probably find lower-pricing for
the fence, too.

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---
Mark and Kim Smith

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Any web space dedicated to that first one??

Just this.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=90

UA100

So Delta started the numbering at 100? I thought you were talking about
an A001. You're awesome!! I think I'm going to have to hate you for a
while! ; ) Should I dare make the finished project my desktop photo??

The company I work for covers an area of half the state of California.
In the multitude of service centers we operate out of, I know of two
locations that have big ol' table saws ( and I haven't been to half of
these s/c's.) I don't remember the manufacturer's of these old
machines, it's been about 10 years since I've seen them. Guess I'll
have to visit and poke my head around when no one is looking! Follow
the sawdust trail. Gotta love the hunt!!

Mark and Kim Smith

ROFL!!

BTW, she makes me put her name in my email addy. Something about I don't pay enough attention to her, I don't want to show her off or something like that. It made things quiet which is what matters most.

Unisaw A100

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
So Delta started the numbering at 100?

Actually no. My saw is A-100. The oldest and original
four-footed Unisaws all came with a alpha-numeric serial
number. Of the couple/few dozen four-footed Unisaws I'm
aware of A-100 is the lowest alpha-numeric serial number.
The rest are scattered up through the alphabet and the
"newest" four-footer I know of was numbered L-404.

You could try and extrapolate a number of four-footed
Unisaws produced in 1939 but there's no evidence that I've
found that there were 999 saws for every letter between A
and L. In fact, the sum of this equation would be monstrous
to consider for a saw in it's first year and given the size
of the plant in Milwaukee where the saw was built. The best
evidence for a "true" number comes from an ad I have where
Delta proclaims that it took three months to build 1000
Unisaws. Even that, given the size of the plant, is
something of a stretch in my opinion. In other words, I
don't trust hyperbole.

I have yet to find/be made aware of anything below A-100 so
I'm holding bragging rights that this saw was the first.

I thought you were talking about an A001. You're awesome!!

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll, thanks and I appreciate that but
I was only standing in the right place and the right spot
and happened to find this saw though there is a heroic tale
associated with "rescuing" it from the evil man who was
selling it. In other words, we were but a heart beat from
losing it to a "lesser" owner who might have done something
really unspeakable to it, like cut the side open an load a 3
horse Baldor in it.

Do a search of El Guapo on Google if you like long stories.

I think I'm going to have to hate you for a while! ; )

That's understandable and by the way shows you have certain
tendencies that are required in anyone searching out vintage
machines. In other words, your jib is cut correctly. You
will do well.

Should I dare make the finished project my desktop photo??

Funny you should mention that. I have it up on my 'puter.

The company I work for covers an area of half the state of California.
In the multitude of service centers we operate out of, I know of two
locations that have big ol' table saws ( and I haven't been to half of
these s/c's.) I don't remember the manufacturer's of these old
machines, it's been about 10 years since I've seen them. Guess I'll
have to visit and poke my head around when no one is looking! Follow
the sawdust trail. Gotta love the hunt!!

You will find that the hunt is half the fun.

By the way, the first mantra of searching and finding
vintage machines is, "you get back what you put in". The
second mantra, "there is no such thing as buyer's remorse.
There is though the remorse of not going to look and the one
that got away".

UA100
Tom Kohlman

Good call on your part. No sense in burning a chit on something like
that...you only get so many before the lawyer shows up so save them for
important stuff like buying more tools.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
ROFL!!

BTW, she makes me put her name in my email addy. Something about I don't

pay enough attention to her, I don't want to show her off or something like
that. It made things quiet which is what matters most.

Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:57:49 GMT, Pat Barber
brought forth from the murky depths:

New Marathon single phase 3hp motor $380
New 50" Biesemeyer Commercial Fence $360
New mobile base $100
New paint job $ 50
New set of belts $ 50
New set of bearing $ 50
----
$990

Whoa! The next time you need an OWWM tuned up and
painted just let me know. That's good money for a
couple days' work.

Of course, I could get a motor for $70, the base
for $50, paint for $10, belts for $25 (linkbelt),
and bearings for $20. I guess I'm a better shopper
than you and could probably find lower-pricing for
the fence, too.

Uh, Larry. . . what's the tab so far on "Dina", and how's she doing? Haven't
seen any recent pics or progress reports.

--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

---

Mark and Kim Smith

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

[...]

The search of "El Guapo" has been read many times. Most recently, a few
weeks ago. First time, a couple of years ago. A story to enjoy and
inspire, over and over!

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Actually no. My saw is A-100. The oldest and original
four-footed Unisaws all came with a alpha-numeric serial
number. Of the couple/few dozen four-footed Unisaws I'm
aware of A-100 is the lowest alpha-numeric serial number.
The rest are scattered up through the alphabet and the
"newest" four-footer I know of was numbered L-404.

You could try and extrapolate a number of four-footed
Unisaws produced in 1939 but there's no evidence that I've
found that there were 999 saws for every letter between A
and L. In fact, the sum of this equation would be monstrous
to consider for a saw in it's first year and given the size
of the plant in Milwaukee where the saw was built.

Hi U. I can call you U, for short, right? Have you ever physically
compared these "lettered" saws to determine if the lettering was a
result of early design changes? (Sort of like the "type" designation
with the P-C biscuit joiners?)

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html
Unisaw A100

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
Hi U. I can call you U, for short, right?

U is good. I also answer to most any other capital letter.

Have you ever physically compared these "lettered" saws to
determine if the lettering was a result of early design changes?
(Sort of like the "type" designation with the P-C biscuit joiners?)

I have done a thorough inspection of the saw with serial
number A-100. I have not been able to compare it thoroughly
against another four footed saw with a single Alpha-Three
Digit serial number so the answer to the question I think
you are asking is no.

On the other hand, based on your own study of the P-C plate
joiners, I'll answer the question I think you might be
asking?

I have compared the '39 saw against other (later saws) saws.
As a matter of fact I was doing just this today with a '58.
There are very subtle differences mechanically with the '39
and all other saws. Actually I think it's two but I'm
having trouble tonight with fatigue so I'll have to think
about it harder when I'm rested.

Does any of the above answer the question?

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:04:47 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Uh, Larry. . . what's the tab so far on "Dina", and how's she doing? Haven't
seen any recent pics or progress reports.

Let's see, I think she'd approve. She's smilin'.

Original cost $90 (he wanted $100, I offered $80)
Paint - $6.85 (alkyd machinery paint, D&W color)
2 saw blades - $4.99ea (HFT 40t carbide, I drilled to 5/8 arbor)
220v twistlock socket & plug - $20
crosscut sled - $4.50 (1/4 sheet BB ply)
outfeed table - $6 (1/3 sheet BB ply)

Total so far: $137.33

I cleaned her up but (didn't strip her) and painted
her, lubed the metal casters, greased her trunnion,
put the new blade on, and had at her. She really liked
having a blade--one with _all_ the teeth on it. If you
recall, the one I took off had 5 missing and 9 chipped.

I also took the time to cut and paint some 1/4" ply
to enclose her for dust collection when I got the
Griz G1029, so now she's air-conditioned. I'm glad I
did. She still spits a bit off the top, but 93% of
the dust is handled.I suppose I could add a smaller
hose on top. Maybe this summer. I need to get some
of those 0.3u bags, though. (Do I install one fine top
bag and put a plastic sack in the bottom 30u bag? Who
has done the superfine upgrade?)

She still has the built-in vibrator (she won't even pass
the prone-nickel test as she comes up to speed). I
haven't spent the time to determine if it's a bent
motor shaft (99% probability) or bent pulley (what a
totally weirdass job THAT is--the motor stays put as
the trunnion moves with the belt angling up more space
on the 5" wide pulley face.) Since I cut @ 90° 95% of
the time, it doesn't make too much difference. Ditto
the broken hand-gear to make said angle adjustments.

I'll find some pics and put them online somewhere soon.
Thanks for asking, Nahmie. She appreciates it.

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---
Silvan

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
Hi U. I can call you U, for short, right?

U is good. I also answer to most any other capital letter.

Cool. I've been looking for someone to call Ç or Ñ for awhile now.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Robert Bonomi

Default [Answer, with apologies to Pete Seeger] Where do all the dead table saws go??

Where have all the bench saws gone?
long time passing
Where have all the bench saws gone?
long time ago