mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Any opinions on the new MLCS Marvel 60 plunge router?

I'm getting a Bosch 1617EVS router for my router table. There, it will
most likely live out its days and never be used for anything else other
than table routing.

I was looking over the possible choices for a plunge router (which I
have never used) and saw the ad for the new MLCS Marvel 60 plunge router.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../marvel60.html

It's a 3HP workhorse and on paper it looks like a great deal. Comes with
a free baseplate and template set. It lists for $226 and is on an intro
sale for $180.

Of course, I expect that you'll be able to get it on sale at anytime.
That wouldn't be why I'd be interested in it.

With all the good press on MLCS router bits, I figure there's a
reasonable chance that they would make a good router. But being new, I
hesitate to buy it.

Has anyone else looked at this?

Jack

I'd suggest the Hitachi M12V for $20 less. If you want a private-label
import, omalleytools.com sells what appears to be the same router as
the Marvel for $80.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Wow ... looks identical, doesn't it? Can't be a coincidence. Never
heard of O'Malley.

wrote:
I'd suggest the Hitachi M12V for $20 less. If you want a private-label
import, omalleytools.com sells what appears to be the same router as
the Marvel for $80.

Edwin Pawlowski

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
Wow ... looks identical, doesn't it? Can't be a coincidence. Never heard
of O'Malley.

The guys on the other side of the Pacific Ocean will put any label on them
you want. O'Malley had enough cash to buy a container of them but you can
too.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:00:21 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Wow ... looks identical, doesn't it? Can't be a coincidence. Never
heard of O'Malley.

o'malley flogs their stuff on ebay. pretty much generic chinese cheapo
stuff, which is what the marvel is. people have reported lots of
problems with the marvel unit, a lot of them related to low standards
of manufacture.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
That's disappointing. So many people say so many good things about the
MLCS router bits. Too bad they market the O'Malley router (if indeed
it's the same router). But it sure does look it, doesn't it?

it may not be *exactly* the same- those manufacturers will happily
customize any way you want, if you buy enough of them. but be sure it's
substantially similar.

and whatever mlcs says on their ad, that router of theirs is nothing
new. they've been sending me junk mail about it for at least 2 years
now.

B a r r y

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The guys on the other side of the Pacific Ocean will put any label on them
you want.

I see them every year at Interbike, the bicycle convention in 'Vegas.

Asian guys sitting at bare tables in empty booths. The Pacific Rim
factory owners are easy to distinguish. They're the only ones chain
smoking at a bicycle convention. G

If you can describe it, they will make it. Cheap!

MLCS MARVEL 60 router D Shack Woodworking 11 March 14th 05 04:15 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plunge router review and opinions needed Brian S Woodworking 7 May 18th 04 07:38 AM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM