Andy Arhelger

Default Clock movements

Where can I read about clock movements for a grandfather clock I would
like to build? What are the good, better, best brands? What features
should I look for, I.E. cable drive, chain drive? Where is the best
place to buy a movement from? I know you can spend a lot of money on
just the movement. I don't know yet what I want to spend but I don't
have unlimited resources.

Andy Arhelger

Klockit is the one I remember. They're all pricey. Don't think there's
any less than 300, and you can go way past a thousand. Googling on
klockit should put it at the top of the page.

You can also google the rec for grandfather movements and come up with
a list.

SonomaProducts.com

Try alt.horology

Ok, Ok, before we get all the puns, it is NOT The study of Whores.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:00:59 -0500, Andy Arhelger
wrote:

Where can I read about clock movements for a grandfather clock I would
like to build?

Old '50s or '60s books on clock _repair_ for the amateur. They explain
the different mechanisms, and how quality/price can be varied by
construction techniques. With a little of that knowledge, a lot of the
commercial products become a lot clearer.