DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Clock movements (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/117989-clock-movements.html)

Andy Arhelger August 22nd 05 09:00 PM

Clock movements

Where can I read about clock movements for a grandfather clock I would
like to build? What are the good, better, best brands? What features
should I look for, I.E. cable drive, chain drive? Where is the best
place to buy a movement from? I know you can spend a lot of money on
just the movement. I don't know yet what I want to spend but I don't
have unlimited resources.

Andy Arhelger

[email protected] August 22nd 05 10:18 PM

Klockit is the one I remember. They're all pricey. Don't think there's
any less than 300, and you can go way past a thousand. Googling on
klockit should put it at the top of the page.

You can also google the rec for grandfather movements and come up with
a list.

SonomaProducts.com August 22nd 05 10:35 PM

Try alt.horology

Ok, Ok, before we get all the puns, it is NOT The study of Whores.

[email protected] August 22nd 05 11:25 PM

wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:00:59 -0500, Andy Arhelger
wrote:

Where can I read about clock movements for a grandfather clock I would
like to build? What are the good, better, best brands? What features
should I look for, I.E. cable drive, chain drive? Where is the best
place to buy a movement from? I know you can spend a lot of money on
just the movement. I don't know yet what I want to spend but I don't
have unlimited resources.

Andy Arhelger

If I really wanted it to keep time I would put a quartz clock in it
and put a phony pendulum mechanism in there.

Both of which are sold by Klockit and others, for just that purpose.

Some places to look:

http://www.emperorclock.com
http://www.colonialtimes.com
http://www.murrayclock.com
http://www.timesavers.cam
http://www.merritts.com
http://www.slarose.com
http://www.clockworks.com
http://www.rswww.com

--

FF

Andy Dingley August 23rd 05 11:16 PM

wrote:

Where can I read about clock movements for a grandfather clock I would
like to build?

Old '50s or '60s books on clock _repair_ for the amateur. They explain
the different mechanisms, and how quality/price can be varied by
construction techniques. With a little of that knowledge, a lot of the
commercial products become a lot clearer.