Joe_Stein

Default Cedar in the wine cellar

In an earlier post, loutent said he made wine racks out of cedar. It
reminded me of something I heard on This Old House just yesterday. They
are building a wine cellar in the current house. The builder said he
wouldn't be using cedar because the corks will pick up the cedar scent
which will introduce an unwelcome flavor in the wine.
Comments?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe_Stein" wrote in message
ink.net...
In an earlier post, loutent said he made wine racks out of cedar. It
reminded me of something I heard on This Old House just yesterday. They
are building a wine cellar in the current house. The builder said he
wouldn't be using cedar because the corks will pick up the cedar scent
which will introduce an unwelcome flavor in the wine.
Comments?

Never thought about it, but I'm sure it could be affected by any aromatics.
Many wines today are using composite corks, but surely not all.

Frank Campbell

In article . net,
Joe_Stein wrote:

In an earlier post, loutent said he made wine racks out of cedar. It
reminded me of something I heard on This Old House just yesterday. They
are building a wine cellar in the current house. The builder said he
wouldn't be using cedar because the corks will pick up the cedar scent
which will introduce an unwelcome flavor in the wine.
Comments?

As long as it is a non-aromatic cedar it should be okay.

--
http://sawdustmaking.com
loutent

In article . net,
Joe_Stein wrote:

In an earlier post, loutent said he made wine racks out of cedar. It
reminded me of something I heard on This Old House just yesterday. They
are building a wine cellar in the current house. The builder said he
wouldn't be using cedar because the corks will pick up the cedar scent
which will introduce an unwelcome flavor in the wine.
Comments?

Hi Joe,

I have had no problems with the cedar. I used the
non-aromatic stuff - the type that you might use
for siding etc. Like I said, I bought 1x8 boards from
Lowes, then ripped them to 3/4 square strips.

Had it for about 5 years now (in an enclosed storage
room) in our basement. If you closed your eyes, you
could not know that it was cedar (by the odor).

Lou
HMFIC- 1369

Capitol B-U-L-L-!

You notice that the Woman was trying to sell you THEIR wine racks which
weren't made of cedar? If your wine had picked up the cedar through the cork
(and many now use plastics) it would be because it was in a cedar cork
(think about that one)..... try like maybe impossible Corked wines have sat
on the bottoms of Oceans and Seas in great depths under immense pressures
for centuries with no effect what-so-ever.............

People will actually say this from now on because they saw it on TV and IT
MUST BE TRUE!!!!

People can lie an make up **** as they go just to make a buck! Don't believe
anything you hear, half of what you see!

"Joe_Stein" wrote in message
ink.net...
In an earlier post, loutent said he made wine racks out of cedar. It
reminded me of something I heard on This Old House just yesterday. They
are building a wine cellar in the current house. The builder said he
wouldn't be using cedar because the corks will pick up the cedar scent
which will introduce an unwelcome flavor in the wine.
Comments?

loutent

People can lie an make up **** as they go just to make a buck! Don't believe
anything you hear, half of what you see!

Hi HMFIC!

Yep, I agree.

If you use your noggin', you usually can't go wrong.

Lou

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:55:09 GMT, Joe_Stein
wrote:

I think he was referring to "aromatic" cedar ( the kind that keeps the
moths away) I don't think regular cedar has much of a smell to it.

In an earlier post, loutent said he made wine racks out of cedar. It
reminded me of something I heard on This Old House just yesterday. They
are building a wine cellar in the current house. The builder said he
wouldn't be using cedar because the corks will pick up the cedar scent
which will introduce an unwelcome flavor in the wine.
Comments?

George

If you believe the pretentious oenophiles can tell you vintage, rainfall and
degree of slope of the hill a vine grew on by a whiff and a taste, you gotta
believe they can detect the cedar oil. If I, best described as a commonsewer
of wine can smell it in a single board of eastern white or western red,
imagine how thick it must get in a closed room.

Or maybe the folks who will pay the $$$ for that place will drink only wine
with twistoff metal caps....

wrote:

I think he was referring to "aromatic" cedar ( the kind that keeps the
moths away) I don't think regular cedar has much of a smell to it.

In an earlier post, loutent said he made wine racks out of cedar. It
reminded me of something I heard on This Old House just yesterday. They
are building a wine cellar in the current house. The builder said he
wouldn't be using cedar because the corks will pick up the cedar scent
which will introduce an unwelcome flavor in the wine.
Comments?

Dave W

I built a sauna four years ago; it is lined with Eastern White Cedar. It
went in green and still has the wonderful cedar smell even when cold. I
keep two small windows open all the time. BUT, a wine rack made of EWS in
an open room would should have no detectable smell after a year of drying.
A wine cellar is usually a closed room; here EWS would not be such a good
idea.
Dave