Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
SonomaProducts.com

Default How to stain/dye/enhance figured Maple

I usually leave Maple alone and just produce white pieces with clear
lac or slightly yellowed with NC lac. However, in a batch of 4/4 and
5/4 Maple that showed up for a project, one 8" x 8' 4/4 piece has nice
curly figure on the whole board all the way through.

So I pulled this piece aside and I think I have a project in mind where
this can provide a nice table top for a console/couch/hall table.

So what pointers can anyone give me for accentuating the figure? I'm
willing to try a very subtle finish or even go dark if that's the best.

I plan on running some tests first of course but just looking for
ideas. I suppose dye would be bad because it's to even and I want
something that will provide more contrast... no?

BW

Staining maple for amateurs Josh Woodworking 18 June 15th 05 04:14 PM
Purchasing Figured Maple (in Canada or US) [email protected] Woodworking 4 February 1st 05 03:58 PM
how to tell hard vs. soft maple harrisrd Woodworking 10 September 21st 03 06:25 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 09:21 PM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 02:40 PM