Default Purchasing Figured Maple (in Canada or US)

Hi,

Up until now I have only used unfigured woods. I am interested in
purchasing some flame and quilted maple. Where do I buy it? I have seen
websites www.nwtimber.com, and www.irionlumber.com and similar
websites. Are those type of dealers the way to go? Are there cheaper or
better ways that are realistically doable? Does the wood for the
projects in the Readers Gallery of Fine WoodWorking really cost the
maker so much money?

Thanks,
Peter
Victoria, BC, Canada

Rob Stokes

Peter:

you may want to pop over to the form at www.canadianwoodworking.com and ask
over there. That forum's frequented by several active woodworkers from
Victoria, Port Alberni, Qualicum, Thetis island and other places... I'm
pretty sure they'll be able to aim you in the right direction.

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Up until now I have only used unfigured woods. I am interested in
purchasing some flame and quilted maple. Where do I buy it? I have seen
websites www.nwtimber.com, and www.irionlumber.com and similar
websites. Are those type of dealers the way to go? Are there cheaper or
better ways that are realistically doable? Does the wood for the
projects in the Readers Gallery of Fine WoodWorking really cost the
maker so much money?

Thanks,
Peter
Victoria, BC, Canada

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:19:30 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
wrote:

Peter:

you may want to pop over to the form at www.canadianwoodworking.com and ask
over there. That forum's frequented by several active woodworkers from
Victoria, Port Alberni, Qualicum, Thetis island and other places... I'm
pretty sure they'll be able to aim you in the right direction.

Rob

I'd suggest getting it from someplace where you can look at the
pieces before you purchase them.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Will

Century Mills is pretty good as well. Stouffville.
http://www.centurymill.com/

Oliver Lumber = Miss. Ont.
http://www.oliverlumber.com/

Bass Lake Sawmill Near Orillia - No Web address

wrote:
Hi,

Up until now I have only used unfigured woods. I am interested in
purchasing some flame and quilted maple. Where do I buy it? I have seen
websites
www.nwtimber.com, and www.irionlumber.com and similar
websites. Are those type of dealers the way to go? Are there cheaper or
better ways that are realistically doable? Does the wood for the
projects in the Readers Gallery of Fine WoodWorking really cost the
maker so much money?

Thanks,
Peter
Victoria, BC, Canada

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
TWS

On 31 Jan 2005 20:08:14 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

Up until now I have only used unfigured woods. I am interested in
purchasing some flame and quilted maple. Where do I buy it? I have seen
websites
www.nwtimber.com, and www.irionlumber.com and similar
websites. Are those type of dealers the way to go? Are there cheaper or
better ways that are realistically doable? Does the wood for the
projects in the Readers Gallery of Fine WoodWorking really cost the
maker so much money?

Thanks,
Peter
Victoria, BC, Canada

I've bought cherry from Irion with success and they are very good to
work with. I haven't bought maple from them but I wouldn't expect any
problems based on my previous experiences.

If you haven't worked with figured woods before I recommend that you
get some extra so that you can learn how to work it. Specifically
planing, jointing, and finishing will be a new experience. I think
you will find this is one of the reasons furniture made out of this
wood is so much more expensive. Of course the beauty of the wood is
the primary reason.

TWS

how to tell hard vs. soft maple harrisrd Woodworking 10 September 21st 03 06:25 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 09:21 PM
Maple Hardwood finish - oil- or water-based Greg Home Repair 5 August 28th 03 08:04 PM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 02:40 PM