TWS

On 31 Jan 2005 20:08:14 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

Up until now I have only used unfigured woods. I am interested in
purchasing some flame and quilted maple. Where do I buy it? I have seen
websites
www.nwtimber.com, and www.irionlumber.com and similar
websites. Are those type of dealers the way to go? Are there cheaper or
better ways that are realistically doable? Does the wood for the
projects in the Readers Gallery of Fine WoodWorking really cost the
maker so much money?

Thanks,
Peter
Victoria, BC, Canada

I've bought cherry from Irion with success and they are very good to
work with. I haven't bought maple from them but I wouldn't expect any
problems based on my previous experiences.

If you haven't worked with figured woods before I recommend that you
get some extra so that you can learn how to work it. Specifically
planing, jointing, and finishing will be a new experience. I think
you will find this is one of the reasons furniture made out of this
wood is so much more expensive. Of course the beauty of the wood is
the primary reason.

TWS