Greg

Default Maple Hardwood finish - oil- or water-based

Our contract calls for oil-based finish on our newly installed (but
unfinished) 600 sq. ft. of maple hardwood flooring (light-colored
maple, not dark). What coating? I'm told water-based is more
expensive, is more durable, protects against UV rays better, and
leaves a more natural-colored finish on maple. Oil-based puts a
yellowish finish on the wood, I'm told. Also, I'm told water-based is
more difficult to apply.

Anyone have experience with this? Is water-based that much better (or
oil-based on maple much worse)? Is it worth it to ask for water-based
on maple, and to fork up the difference? Thanks for any help.
dkarnes

mark Ransley wrote:

oil yellows and will more over time, but is also more durable, unless
its a new product I dont know about. Maple would look better not
yellowed, Oak looks good either way. Go acrylic , more difficult to
apply bs. It shouldnt cost alot more than oil

mark is right. if it were me i would use a water based acrylic urethane
so the maple does not amber over time. maple is a very fine wood. good
luck.

Rumpty

Typically the water borne product is "Water White" i.e. clear with no
yellowing, it has much better qualities, easier and faster to apply, and
only costs a bit more a gallon.

--

Rumpty

"Greg" wrote in message
om...
Our contract calls for oil-based finish on our newly installed (but
unfinished) 600 sq. ft. of maple hardwood flooring (light-colored
maple, not dark). What coating? I'm told water-based is more
expensive, is more durable, protects against UV rays better, and
leaves a more natural-colored finish on maple. Oil-based puts a
yellowish finish on the wood, I'm told. Also, I'm told water-based is
more difficult to apply.

Anyone have experience with this? Is water-based that much better (or
oil-based on maple much worse)? Is it worth it to ask for water-based
on maple, and to fork up the difference? Thanks for any help.

MSH

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
oil yellows and will more over time, but is also more durable, unless
its a new product I dont know about. Maple would look better not
yellowed, Oak looks good either way. Go acrylic , more difficult to
apply bs. It shouldnt cost alot more than oil

This is Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. A GOOD water has a low acrylic content and a
higher polyurethane content. Acrylic has better flow properties making
application easier. The best new finishes are pure polyurethane but flow
well. The best oil(FabulonPro) can be had for about $20/gal ($36 in
California) while the best water goes for nearly $80/gal.

National Wood Floor Association did tests years ago, and even then
determined that the best water is better than the best oil(They represent
both manufacturers). Oil development has stayed stagnant while water has
made some major advances since then. I heard a rumor some things were coming
in the oil development, they have not appeared in public.

Ease of application is relative. Two entirely different systems and a shop
set up for water will not charge any more for water because they make more
efficient use of time. Less trips to the house with the quicker dry times.

As for Maple, water is ideal for getting the most from its light color. Some
people still prefer the ambered look of oil though. You should ask them to
show some samples of each right there on the floor. You should beware of
asking a oil-based shop to apply water on maple, there are some tricks to
avoid problems, such as not getting the floor too smooth before coating
because maple lacks the grain definition that oak has. Too many coats on a
smooth floor will produce a lot of stop marks and lap lines. I have
witnessed some truly horrible jobs by highly reputable shops who were
unaccustomed to water application.

M Hamlin
The Oak Floors of Marco
Los Gatos, CA

Greg

Thanks for the replies. We just went with what was in the original
contract - polyurethane oil based.

If this stuff is toxic, is there a real risk in our case - a one time
application (3 coats) where the fumes eventually dissipate, and we
never use it again?

Sam Shank

On jobs that I want to look _really_ good and that I care about (as
opposed that I got shafted into doing) I use waterbased MEGA Bonx-X
finish. It's dummy proof. No buffing between coats, and no pooling. You
could probably pour the stuff on the floor, and come back an hour later
to find it perfect. I prefer the satin.

Oil is fine, but it's a PITA. It smells, is hard to clean, etc etc.

--
please remove @com.com and change att and dott to @ and .

Thanks, Sam (trying to minimize spam)