George

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
I usually leave Maple alone and just produce white pieces with clear
lac or slightly yellowed with NC lac. However, in a batch of 4/4 and
5/4 Maple that showed up for a project, one 8" x 8' 4/4 piece has nice
curly figure on the whole board all the way through.

So I pulled this piece aside and I think I have a project in mind where
this can provide a nice table top for a console/couch/hall table.

So what pointers can anyone give me for accentuating the figure? I'm
willing to try a very subtle finish or even go dark if that's the best.

I plan on running some tests first of course but just looking for
ideas. I suppose dye would be bad because it's to even and I want
something that will provide more contrast... no?

The wood will provide the contrast. What you're seeing is light returning
to your eye at different angles. Dye won't change that, only the color.
Pretty common technique to use something light yellowish brown or a dilute
real brown. Just don't mess up that reflection with a satin finish that
scatters the light randomly. Nice smooth transparent finish will do fine.