toller

Default Is spruce worth anything?

I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is replacing
their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has screw
holes.

I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nicely
and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes it
undesirable for cabinetry?

bridger

it's a little on the soft side, but if that's not a problem for you, go
for it.

SonomaProducts.com

It's pretty much like Pine. The lumber trades have a designation SPF
that stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". When you buy SPF, you will get one
of those three. They consider them pretty much interchangable.

I think the S and P are pretty much the same but the Fir can be a lot
nicer if you get the straight grain variety and that is also much like
Hemlock which si nearly indistinguisable from Fir as a tree and lumber.
P.S. Hemlock trees have a limp top section, the very top of the tree
hangs over pointing toward the ground.

WillR

toller wrote:
I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is repla=

cing=20
their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has s=

crew=20
holes.
=20
I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nice=

ly=20
and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes i=

t=20
undesirable for cabinetry?=20
=20
=20

SPF Two by fours -- other wise known as Spruce - Pine - Fir Tubafours.

Used in house construction, ships masts etc.

Light, strong, lots of resin sometimes. Spruce gum is nice and so is=20
spruce beer -- made from the resin...

Used in guitar tops (musical grade -- requires tight grain), mantels for =

fireplaces etc.

Nicest spruce I ever saw was in the columns of a fireplace=20
mantel/millwork -- it had been painted many times -- the last time=20
orange -- with yellow flames. I did not have the time to strip -- I=20
threw it out with tears in my eyes.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
WillR

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
It's pretty much like Pine. The lumber trades have a designation SPF
that stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". When you buy SPF, you will get one=

of those three. They consider them pretty much interchangable.
=20
I think the S and P are pretty much the same but the Fir can be a lot
nicer if you get the straight grain variety and that is also much like
Hemlock which si nearly indistinguisable from Fir as a tree and lumber.=

P.S. Hemlock trees have a limp top section, the very top of the tree
hangs over pointing toward the ground.
=20

I think Hemlock can be a little more brittle and splintery as I recall.=20
Great for chopsticks as the wood seems to "grip" well. Beautiful soft=20
leaves (needles). Turns yellow in the fall as I recall.

Fir I think is lighter and is much smoother and less splintery -- but=20
would have to look up the specs to be sure. You're right about nice=20
tight grained fir - beautiful wood... Fairly flexible and springy in=20
many applications. (From memory not from a reference -- so I am=20
comparing to other woods I had available over the years.)

Fir can be used for masts and general boating applications as I recall.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Glen

toller wrote:
I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is replacing
their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has screw
holes.

I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nicely
and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes it
undesirable for cabinetry?

Howard Hughes used it to build a pretty good sized airplane.

;-)
Glen
toller

Has anyone actually used it for woodworking?!

Duane Bozarth

toller wrote:

Has anyone actually used it for woodworking?!

I'm sure someone has...

What do you have in mind? Something you would use a soft pine or
similar for spruce would be a reasonable substitue.

George E. Cawthon

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
It's pretty much like Pine. The lumber trades have a designation SPF
that stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". When you buy SPF, you will get one
of those three. They consider them pretty much interchangable.

I think the S and P are pretty much the same but the Fir can be a lot
nicer if you get the straight grain variety and that is also much like
Hemlock which si nearly indistinguisable from Fir as a tree and lumber.
P.S. Hemlock trees have a limp top section, the very top of the tree
hangs over pointing toward the ground.

Humbug. The SPF designation means that they have
pretty much the same engineering properties. A
hemlock is easily distinguished from fir tree,even
100 feet away. The branches sag and the needles
are a mix of lengths which give the tree a kind of
lacy look. Up close it is easy to tell the
difference. Grab a branch with your bare hand and
if it is stickery it is a spruce, if soft a fir.

As for the wood, it is all over the place
depending on species especially among the firs.
George E. Cawthon

WillR wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

It's pretty much like Pine. The lumber trades have a designation SPF
that stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". When you buy SPF, you will get one
of those three. They consider them pretty much interchangable.

I think the S and P are pretty much the same but the Fir can be a lot
nicer if you get the straight grain variety and that is also much like
Hemlock which si nearly indistinguisable from Fir as a tree and lumber.
P.S. Hemlock trees have a limp top section, the very top of the tree
hangs over pointing toward the ground.

I think Hemlock can be a little more brittle and splintery as I recall.
Great for chopsticks as the wood seems to "grip" well. Beautiful soft
leaves (needles). Turns yellow in the fall as I recall.

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

Fir I think is lighter and is much smoother and less splintery -- but
would have to look up the specs to be sure. You're right about nice
tight grained fir - beautiful wood... Fairly flexible and springy in
many applications. (From memory not from a reference -- so I am
comparing to other woods I had available over the years.)

Fir can be used for masts and general boating applications as I recall.

Dave Balderstone

In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

You're partly mistaken, George. The Tamarack needles turn yellow and
fall off in fall. But the Tamarack is also known as the Larch.

;-)

See http://collections.ic.gc.ca/mississagi/natural/flora/tamarack.htm

I spent some time in northern BC, and the Tamaracks sure stood out
against the evergreens in the fall.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
WillR

Duane Bozarth wrote:
toller wrote:
=20
Has anyone actually used it for woodworking?!

=20
=20
I'm sure someone has...
=20
What do you have in mind? Something you would use a soft pine or
similar for spruce would be a reasonable substitue.

Over the years -- yes -- shelves, boxes, furniture, construction...

Works like white pine -- these days.

Can have gummy patches (resin) -- but otherwise ok.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
toller

"WillR" wrote in message
Duane Bozarth wrote:
toller wrote:

Has anyone actually used it for woodworking?!

I'm sure someone has...

What do you have in mind? Something you would use a soft pine or
similar for spruce would be a reasonable substitue.

Over the years -- yes -- shelves, boxes, furniture, construction...

Works like white pine -- these days.

Can have gummy patches (resin) -- but otherwise ok.

-------------
thanks. With oil on it, it actually rather pretty. Though it dents pretty
easily.

George E. Cawthon

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

You're partly mistaken, George. The Tamarack needles turn yellow and
fall off in fall. But the Tamarack is also known as the Larch.

;-)

See http://collections.ic.gc.ca/mississagi/natural/flora/tamarack.htm

I spent some time in northern BC, and the Tamaracks sure stood out
against the evergreens in the fall.

djb

I think you are partly confused, no, just
confused. Everything you said is true is except
your first statement which was, "You're partly
mistaken." Nope, no mistake, part or whole.
WillR said SPRUCE needles turned yellow in the
fall. Nope, they stay green all year just like
firs and hemlock, unless the tree is dying.

Yep, tamarack is a common name for larch. In fact
it is the name most often used here, but many
people aren't familiar with the name. Yep, the
tamarack leaves turn yellow in the fall and fall
off, a natural occurrence for a deciduous tree.
Swingman

"WillR" wrote in message

Used in guitar tops (musical grade -- requires tight grain)

Red spruce is highly prized for this and hard to come by these days. A good
piece vibrates like a tuning fork when struck ... tapping a red spruce log
laying on the ground can actually produce a ringing note.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

Owen Lawrence

"toller" wrote in message
Has anyone actually used it for woodworking?!

I made a picnic table (painted), drill press stand, utility workbench,
sawhorses, and a few other oddments. Not fine woodworking, but it's strong
and does the job just fine!

- Owen -

Glen wrote:
I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber.

Howard Hughes used it to build a pretty good sized airplane.

No, he didn't. The name "Spruce Goose" was a complete misnomer.

Dave Balderstone

In article ,
George E. Cawthon wrote:

WillR said SPRUCE needles turned yellow in the
fall.

No, he did not. But you're partly correct in that I read tamarack where
he said hemlock. g

In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

WillR wrote:

I think Hemlock can be a little more brittle and splintery as I recall.
Great for chopsticks as the wood seems to "grip" well. Beautiful soft
leaves (needles). Turns yellow in the fall as I recall.

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

Cheers.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

WillR

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
=20
In article
, George E=

=2E

See http://collections.ic.gc.ca/mississa.../tamarack.htm=

I spent some time in northern BC, and the Tamaracks sure stood out
against the evergreens in the fall.

djb

=20
I think you are partly confused, no, just confused. Everything you sai=

d=20
is true is except your first statement which was, "You're partly=20
mistaken." Nope, no mistake, part or whole. WillR said SPRUCE needles=

=20
turned yellow in the fall.=20

Uh no -- if so I was wrong or it was a typo.

Nope, they stay green all year just like=20
firs and hemlock, unless the tree is dying.
=20
Yep, tamarack is a common name for larch. In fact it is the name most =

often used here, but many people aren't familiar with the name. Yep, =

the tamarack leaves turn yellow in the fall and fall off, a natural=20
occurrence for a deciduous tree.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
WillR

WillR wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
=20
[...]

Sorry -- was thinking of Tamarack... It turns yellow in the fall.

toller wrote:
I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is replacing
their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has screw
holes.

I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nicely
and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes it
undesirable for cabinetry?

Luthiers use spruce, though they want straight-grained with closely
spaced growth rings. The face of many stringed instruments, including
most violins, are made from spruce. Most of the rest of a violin
is made from hardwood, curly maple being a favorite, though some
fir may be used in the interior.

--

FF

Ron Magen

Straight grained Sitka Spruce is the desired choice for traditional wood
spars {masts & booms}. The flexibility allows it to bend rather than break.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"toller" wrote in message

"WillR" wrote in message
Duane Bozarth wrote:
toller wrote:

Has anyone actually used it for woodworking?!

I'm sure someone has...

What do you have in mind? Something you would use a soft pine or
similar for spruce would be a reasonable substitue.

Over the years -- yes -- shelves, boxes, furniture, construction...

Works like white pine -- these days.

Can have gummy patches (resin) -- but otherwise ok.

-------------
thanks. With oil on it, it actually rather pretty. Though it dents

pretty
easily.

mac davis

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:54:55 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is replacing
their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has screw
holes.

I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nicely
and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes it
undesirable for cabinetry?

Howard Hughes build the "Spruce Goose" (largest plane in the world at the time)
out of it because he said that it was very light and stronger than most light
woods...

I've never heard of it having problems like sap leaking like pine or splintering
like oak... never had any to play with, though...

I would guess that there are several types of spruce??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On 11 Aug 2005 10:50:19 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

It's pretty much like Pine. The lumber trades have a designation SPF
that stands for "Spruce, Pine, Fir". When you buy SPF, you will get one
of those three. They consider them pretty much interchangable.

I think the S and P are pretty much the same but the Fir can be a lot
nicer if you get the straight grain variety and that is also much like
Hemlock which si nearly indistinguisable from Fir as a tree and lumber.
P.S. Hemlock trees have a limp top section, the very top of the tree
hangs over pointing toward the ground.

I wonder if that's what the BORGs sell as "white wood" now...
I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just "white wood"
whatever that is..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:11:54 -0400, WillR wrote:

snip
Fir I think is lighter and is much smoother and less splintery -- but
would have to look up the specs to be sure. You're right about nice
tight grained fir - beautiful wood... Fairly flexible and springy in
many applications. (From memory not from a reference -- so I am
comparing to other woods I had available over the years.)

Fir can be used for masts and general boating applications as I recall.

I've used quite a bit of douglas fir for utility stuff like garage drawer sides
and bench/table edges...
It's a little harder and stronger than pine or "white wood" and has a much
tighter, straighter grain..
Sands and finishes pretty good, for the comparative price..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:11:54 -0400, WillR wrote:

snip
Fir I think is lighter and is much smoother and less splintery -- but
would have to look up the specs to be sure. You're right about nice
tight grained fir - beautiful wood... Fairly flexible and springy in
many applications. (From memory not from a reference -- so I am
comparing to other woods I had available over the years.)

Fir can be used for masts and general boating applications as I recall.

I've used quite a bit of douglas fir for utility stuff like garage drawer sides
and bench/table edges...
It's a little harder and stronger than pine or "white wood" and has a much
tighter, straighter grain..
Sands and finishes pretty good, for the comparative price..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Douglas fir is not the same as the "fir" in SPF. (unfortunately)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Duane Bozarth

mac davis wrote:

I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just "white wood"
whatever that is..

Like "white fish", an undifferentiated lot of species w/similar
properties/appearance...

Dan Jefferson

"toller" wrote in message
I scavenged about 40' of clear spruce 2x6s from a neighbor who is replacing
their stairs. Okay, it is only clear on one side, the other side has screw
holes.

I have worked with both pine and spruce and they are very similar. I have
use both on the same project, a Tack box, and it turned out really well.
Same experience with a Saddle Rack.

I did find the spruce could split easily when nailing or screwing close to
the ends, however a bit of care and the use of a pilot hole readily resolved
that situation.

I'm sure you or another ww could find a good use for the spruce.

Dan

Duane Bozarth

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Douglas fir is not the same as the "fir" in SPF. (unfortunately)

And, also unfortunately, vice versa...
Dave Balderstone

In article , mac davis
wrote:

Howard Hughes build the "Spruce Goose" (largest plane in the world at the
time)
out of it because he said that it was very light and stronger than most light
woods...

The Goose was primarily made of birch...

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:54:55 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I can't find anything on spruce as a woodworking lumber. It works nicely
and looks good with oil on it. Is there a problem with it that makes it
undesirable for cabinetry?

Howard Hughes build the "Spruce Goose" (largest plane in the world at the time)
out of it because he said that it was very light and stronger than most light
woods...

There was some spruce in the Hughes Hercules but most of the wood
used was birch plywood, aka 'aircraft' plywood. Wood was used
because Aluminum was unavailable due to the wartime demand for
it in fighters and bombers. The Herc was intended for troop
transport and medical evacuation.

"Spruce Goose" just rolls off the tongue a little easier than
"Birch Bufflehead".

I would guess that there are several types of spruce??

Yep. Like most common names for wood, 'spruce' refers to an
entire genus. Also like many plants, some individual species
within the genus will readily hybridize in the wild so that
a particular tree in the woods might not be any specific
species. Or, as my brother the Zoologist says, "Plants are sluts."

--

FF

George

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
mac davis wrote:

I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just "white
wood"
whatever that is..

Like "white fish", an undifferentiated lot of species w/similar
properties/appearance...

There is but _one_ whitefish Coregonus clupeaformis, and the best are from
Lake Superior, where the cold water makes their flesh firm and tasty.

"White wood" out east can include hemlock, about which many here appear
confused. Used to mean (true) poplar in our area until the westerners
started selling aspen.

George

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message

Douglas fir is not the same as the "fir" in SPF. (unfortunately)
--

Nor is it a fir. Just to muddy the waters, its genus is Pseudotsuga, or
"false Hemlock."

Seems this thread always doubles back on itself....

George E. Cawthon

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Cawthon wrote:

WillR wrote:

I think Hemlock can be a little more brittle and splintery as I recall.
Great for chopsticks as the wood seems to "grip" well. Beautiful soft
leaves (needles). Turns yellow in the fall as I recall.

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

Cheers.

djb

OH Damn! how about I just blame you for my error
of inserting spruce for hemlock? Or better yet
let's both blame WillR for our mistakes.
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Or better yet
let's both blame WillR for our mistakes.

That BASTID! Let's GET him!

;-)

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
mac davis wrote:

I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just "white wood"
whatever that is..

Like "white fish", an undifferentiated lot of species w/similar
properties/appearance...

Not here. Whitefish is a specific game fish. Not
a fisherman and don't know what the species is.
Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
mac davis wrote:

I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just "white wood"
whatever that is..

Like "white fish", an undifferentiated lot of species w/similar
properties/appearance...

Not here. Whitefish is a specific game fish. Not
a fisherman and don't know what the species is.

"white" fish, not "whitefish"...