mac davis

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:11:54 -0400, WillR wrote:

snip
Fir I think is lighter and is much smoother and less splintery -- but
would have to look up the specs to be sure. You're right about nice
tight grained fir - beautiful wood... Fairly flexible and springy in
many applications. (From memory not from a reference -- so I am
comparing to other woods I had available over the years.)

Fir can be used for masts and general boating applications as I recall.

I've used quite a bit of douglas fir for utility stuff like garage drawer sides
and bench/table edges...
It's a little harder and stronger than pine or "white wood" and has a much
tighter, straighter grain..
Sands and finishes pretty good, for the comparative price..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing