Henry St.Pierre

"George" George@least wrote in :

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
mac davis wrote:

I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just
"white wood"
whatever that is..

Like "white fish", an undifferentiated lot of species w/similar
properties/appearance...

There is but _one_ whitefish Coregonus clupeaformis, and the best are
from Lake Superior, where the cold water makes their flesh firm and
tasty.

"White wood" out east can include hemlock, about which many here
appear confused. Used to mean (true) poplar in our area until the
westerners started selling aspen.

George,
I would (wood) never think of hemlock as "whitewood" cause I have about 15
acres of it here in the Catskills. When I mill it, the color is definitely
not like the color of SPF. It's more brownish and reddish. It may be
included in SPF, but I've not seen any. We have a garbage wood up here
called 'poplar' it's not good for much. It definitely does not look like
hemlock. Hemlock is an evergreen and this stuff looks like it wants to be a
birch in another 30 or 40 thousand years.
Regards,
Hank
George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just "white wood"
whatever that is..

Like "white fish", an undifferentiated lot of species w/similar
properties/appearance...

Not here. Whitefish is a specific game fish. Not
a fisherman and don't know what the species is.

"white" fish, not "whitefish"...

Yeah, I know, but I just had to point out that
whitefish is a specific, and if you hear someone
say it, you really don't know what they mean.

Henry St.Pierre wrote:
I would (wood) never think of hemlock as "whitewood" cause I have about 15
acres of it here in the Catskills. When I mill it, the color is definitely
not like the color of SPF. It's more brownish and reddish. It may be
included in SPF, but I've not seen any.

The American Softwood Lumber Association has a "hem-fir" species
group, typically Western hemlock and true fir. That group
is a step up in strength from "SPF", but below Southern yellow pine
(SYP) and Doug Fir (DF) Most of the Home Despot lumber in
Suburban Wasington DC appears to be hem-fir.

--

FF

Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I've noticed that they don't sell pine shelving any more, just "white wood"
whatever that is..

Like "white fish", an undifferentiated lot of species w/similar
properties/appearance...

Not here. Whitefish is a specific game fish. Not
a fisherman and don't know what the species is.

"white" fish, not "whitefish"...

Yeah, I know, but I just had to point out that
whitefish is a specific, and if you hear someone
say it, you really don't know what they mean.

I got to thinking I don't recall that I've seen the generic labeling
recently--maybe that disappeared w/ some of the fair marketing laws, I
don't know...
mac davis

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:27:35 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message

Douglas fir is not the same as the "fir" in SPF. (unfortunately)
--

Nor is it a fir. Just to muddy the waters, its genus is Pseudotsuga, or
"false Hemlock."

Seems this thread always doubles back on itself....

ARGGGGGGGGGGGG... you're making me crazy, George!!!! *lol*
(well, crazier, anyway..)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:51:53 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , mac davis
wrote:

Howard Hughes build the "Spruce Goose" (largest plane in the world at the
time)
out of it because he said that it was very light and stronger than most light
woods...

The Goose was primarily made of birch...

djb

damn.. this thread is an education!

Being named the "spruce goose", I naturally assumed (make an ass out of u & me)
it was made of spruce...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:07:57 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
George E. Cawthon wrote:

WillR said SPRUCE needles turned yellow in the
fall.

No, he did not. But you're partly correct in that I read tamarack where
he said hemlock. g

In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

WillR wrote:

I think Hemlock can be a little more brittle and splintery as I recall.
Great for chopsticks as the wood seems to "grip" well. Beautiful soft
leaves (needles). Turns yellow in the fall as I recall.

Only if diseased. Maybe you are thinking of larch.

Cheers.

djb

OH Damn! how about I just blame you for my error
of inserting spruce for hemlock? Or better yet
let's both blame WillR for our mistakes.

That's what I usually do... and Will believes me, too.. *eg*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Dave Balderstone

In article , mac davis
wrote:

Being named the "spruce goose", I naturally assumed (make an ass out of u &
me)
it was made of spruce...

Apparently Hughes thought about calling it the "Birch Bitch" but
changed his mind...

;-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Joe Mama

Spruce is decent stuff. The old growth spruce is real nice. Looks
good, machines well. Doug Fir will last forever as exterior trim.
Rabbit

Lon Marshall
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:02:26 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

Being named the "spruce goose",

It was never _named_ the spruce goose. Hughes always insisted on the
"Hercules" or the HK-4 / H-4. The "spruce goose" was just a label cooked
up by a newspaper and Hughes famously hated it.

In the recent film I think it's the corrupt Sen. Brewster who coins the
term, but in reailty he didn't have the wit for this and just called it
a "a flying lumberyard"

mac davis

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:40:11 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , mac davis
wrote:

Being named the "spruce goose", I naturally assumed (make an ass out of u &
me)
it was made of spruce...

Apparently Hughes thought about calling it the "Birch Bitch" but
changed his mind...

;-)

i LIKE it!!!