DCH

Default Table saw fence upgrade questions....

Greetings All.....

It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table
saw...it's an older sears contractors saw, the fence will not seem to keep
an adjustment and will sometimes lock out of whack with the blade, so I
thought I would get a new fence. In my research it looks like the
Biesemeyer is the way to go, but having never used anything else, and not
really being able to compare fences side by side, I thought I would ask the
opinion of the group about the various models ( Biesemeyer vs Vega vs Jet)
and see what ya'll thought, or is it six of one, half dozen of the other,
cause I'm sure most of them would be better than the one I have now...:

Thanks for the help...

DCH
Leon

"DCH" wrote in message
Greetings All.....

It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table
saw...it's an older sears contractors saw, the fence will not seem to keep
an adjustment and will sometimes lock out of whack with the blade, so I
thought I would get a new fence. In my research it looks like the
Biesemeyer is the way to go, but having never used anything else, and not
really being able to compare fences side by side, I thought I would ask
the
opinion of the group about the various models ( Biesemeyer vs Vega vs Jet)
and see what ya'll thought, or is it six of one, half dozen of the other,
cause I'm sure most of them would be better than the one I have now...:

Several years ago I had a 1983 model Craftsman TS. I put the Bies clone on
it. It was the Jet Exacta fence. About 5 years ago I sold that saw with
the Jet fence for $400.

C & S

Had a the 80's craftsman..... upgraded to Vega. Well worth the money

Now I have a JET Cabinet saw with Xacta-jet-beizclone. Both are good fences,
but I actually liked the Vega a bit better. It had holes for mounting an aux
fence and a micro-adjust, and the slippy plastic faces on the Jet are
difficult to make perfectly planer because the material distorts too easily.

Both are light years ahead of the original craftsman.

Personally I would choose either the Vega or one of the Beis clones with a
laminate (formica/melamine) fence face.

My 2 cents.

"DCH" wrote in message
Greetings All.....

It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table
saw...it's an older sears contractors saw, the fence will not seem to keep
an adjustment and will sometimes lock out of whack with the blade, so I
thought I would get a new fence. In my research it looks like the
Biesemeyer is the way to go, but having never used anything else, and not
really being able to compare fences side by side, I thought I would ask

the
opinion of the group about the various models ( Biesemeyer vs Vega vs Jet)
and see what ya'll thought, or is it six of one, half dozen of the other,
cause I'm sure most of them would be better than the one I have now...:

Thanks for the help...

DCH

Rob Mills

"DCH" wrote in message
It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table

saw...it's an older sears contractors saw, the fence will not seem to keep
an adjustment and will sometimes lock out of whack with the blade

For what it's worth, I rigged my old Sears fence with a pair of ball
bearings (think from an old router). I used heat shrink tubing to fasten
them together and replaced the old nylon roller with the ball bearing set
up. They rolled real smooth on the rear rail and gave the fence just a tad
more lift/clearance. I had to clean them every now and then but it worked
much better than the original setup. Used it that way for 10-12 years before
I found a good excuse to buy a new saw. RM~

Bob G.

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:04:20 GMT, DCH wrote:

Greetings All.....

It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table
saw...it's an older sears contractors saw, the fence will not seem to keep
an adjustment and will sometimes lock out of whack with the blade, so I
thought I would get a new fence. In my research it looks like the
Biesemeyer is the way to go, but having never used anything else, and not
really being able to compare fences side by side, I thought I would ask the
opinion of the group about the various models ( Biesemeyer vs Vega vs Jet)
and see what ya'll thought, or is it six of one, half dozen of the other,
cause I'm sure most of them would be better than the one I have now...:

Thanks for the help...

DCH

================
I have been using a Biesmeyer (Homeshop) for well over 15 years...long
before the clones were on the market....and to be completely honest I
love the darn thing... Purchased the homeshop because the fence is
only 36 inches long instead of the 40 inches on the Commercial
version.. did not need it hanging off the back of the saw (27 in
deep table) ...both have rails that are about 6 foot long...

BUT I would have to say its really 6 of 1 half dozen of the other...I
think I would be happy with the Vega or any of the clones... I have
absolutely no use for a micro adjusting fence just not needed...and I
will never go back to any fence which locked fron and back...period...

Just my opinion...

Bob G..
RonB

My only comparison with the Biesmeyer-type of fence is the Jet XACTRA and
the ShopFox Classic used on the Grizzly cabinet saws.

I have seen two XACTRA fences shed the one of the nylon glides on the T-bar
part of the fence. One happened in a friend's shop the other was on a store
display model. Minor but irritating if you have to fix, or find the part,
during a project.

I have used the Shop Fox Classic on my Grizzly 1023S for about four years
and love it. Everything is straight and square and has stayed that way with
very infrequent tuning. However, I suspect you will find the Classic in the
same price range as the Bies.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...lassi c+fence

RonB

Dave

I too have the Vega with the finger saver (which is really neat!) and hold
down attachment on my Sears saw. It was always right on. I practically like
the fine adjustment feature on it. I also have the extension with legs on
it. I recently bought a new Grizzly G0444Z with the Classic fence which is
about the same in comparison to the Bies. I am now going to sell my
Craftsman and put the old fence back on it, and I am going to sell my Vega
fence with attachments. I was going to put the Vega stuff on EBay, but I
think it would be too much of a hassle trying to package it up and trying to
decide what to charge for shipping.

"RonB" wrote in message
My only comparison with the Biesmeyer-type of fence is the Jet XACTRA and
the ShopFox Classic used on the Grizzly cabinet saws.

I have seen two XACTRA fences shed the one of the nylon glides on the

T-bar
part of the fence. One happened in a friend's shop the other was on a

store
display model. Minor but irritating if you have to fix, or find the part,
during a project.

I have used the Shop Fox Classic on my Grizzly 1023S for about four years
and love it. Everything is straight and square and has stayed that way

with
very infrequent tuning. However, I suspect you will find the Classic in

the
same price range as the Bies.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...lassi c+fence

RonB

Mike Marlow

"Bob G." wrote in message
[...]

Likewise, I have been using the Craftsman Align-A-Rip 24x24 for quite a
while and I just love it. It has remained very stable and once tune to the
saw properly, it is as accurate as any craftsman would need on a tablesaw.
The price is about half of what the Bies and other high end fence systems
cost and is every bit worth the money. Mine is mounted on a Craftsman Model
100.

--

-Mike-

bridger

what I did:
from biesemeyer's web site I bought a cosmetically blemished fence.

watch this page:
http://biesemeyer.com/specials/index.htm
and sooner or later one will show up.

I made rails from locally purchased steel.

it works great.

Bob the Tomato

Just to be wierd, I'm trying an Incra Jig Ultra fence on my old
Craftsman saw. With a $40 Freud Diablo blade, I set the saw up for a
1" rip cut. I put a pair of calipers on it and measured out 0.998".

No foolin'.

I'm going to set up a removable fixture to be able to swap the Incra
back and forth between the router table and the tablesaur.

The only complaint that I have with the Incra is that the fence is
attached to an arm that is either 16" or 24" long, witch slides back
and forth in the positioner. If you have the saw set up for a 24"
cut, the arm hangs out 24" from the right side of your saw. If you
walk around the saw quickly with this piece hanging out, you run the
risk of damaging some delicate parts of your anatomy!

On 6 Aug 2005 10:31:49 -0700, "bridger" wrote:

what I did:
from biesemeyer's web site I bought a cosmetically blemished fence.

watch this page:
http://biesemeyer.com/specials/index.htm
and sooner or later one will show up.

I made rails from locally purchased steel.

it works great.

Unquestionably Confused

Bob the Tomato wrote:
Just to be wierd, I'm trying an Incra Jig Ultra fence on my old
Craftsman saw. With a $40 Freud Diablo blade, I set the saw up for a
1" rip cut. I put a pair of calipers on it and measured out 0.998".

No foolin'.

I'm going to set up a removable fixture to be able to swap the Incra
back and forth between the router table and the tablesaur.

The only complaint that I have with the Incra is that the fence is
attached to an arm that is either 16" or 24" long, witch slides back
and forth in the positioner. If you have the saw set up for a 24"
cut, the arm hangs out 24" from the right side of your saw. If you
walk around the saw quickly with this piece hanging out, you run the
risk of damaging some delicate parts of your anatomy!

Sometimes you just have to choose between accuracy and a scar-less bodyg

Ask SWMBO if she likes you without scars. If the answer is yes, lobby
for a bigger shop!

John Worman

DCH wrote:
Greetings All.....

It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table
saw...it's an older sears contractors saw, the fence will not seem to keep
an adjustment and will sometimes lock out of whack with the blade, so I
thought I would get a new fence. In my research it looks like the
Biesemeyer is the way to go, but having never used anything else, and not
really being able to compare fences side by side, I thought I would ask the
opinion of the group about the various models ( Biesemeyer vs Vega vs Jet)
and see what ya'll thought, or is it six of one, half dozen of the other,
cause I'm sure most of them would be better than the one I have now...:

Thanks for the help...

DCH

I did what you are considering. I installed a Biesemeyer on my
Craftsman TS and was really happy with the results. Later I bought a
UNISAW, so I moved the Biesemeyer to the new saw and sold the Craftsman
with the old style Delta fence.

Anyway, it was a good upgrade to the Craftsman.

John
CaptMike

John Worman wrote:
DCH wrote:

[...]

If you're going to spend money on a fence that just _might_ make it's
way into a actual saw upgrade down the road... The Biesemeyer is the way
to go. The B-Clones really aren't that much cheaper, and if you're
smart, you'll be patiend and check eBay and Craigslist daily. I picked
up a brand-new, in the box Biesemeyer Commercial for $216.00 shipped
when the seller had a $200.00 BIN. I tweaked the mount holes and now
have a 38" right side rip capacity on my Unisaw. I think Grizzly's Shop
Fox Pro is around $250 + shipping and is similar.
HerHusband

It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table
saw...it's an older sears contractors saw

Last year I installed a "Mule Accufence" (model M-825) on my 20+ year old
Sears table saw. Cost me $200, more than the saw itself is worth, but
compared to the cost of a new table saw, it was a bargain.

I have been extremely happy with the Accufence. It made my little old saw
feel brand new again. Installation was fairly easy, and it seems to have
very good accuracy. I highly recommend it.

You can read more about them at http://www.mulecab.com/TableSaw/

Anthony

DCH

HerHusband wrote in
:

It seems the time has come to get a better rip fence for my table
saw...it's an older sears contractors saw

Last year I installed a "Mule Accufence" (model M-825) on my 20+ year
old Sears table saw. Cost me $200, more than the saw itself is worth,
but compared to the cost of a new table saw, it was a bargain.

I have been extremely happy with the Accufence. It made my little old
saw feel brand new again. Installation was fairly easy, and it seems
to have very good accuracy. I highly recommend it.

You can read more about them at http://www.mulecab.com/TableSaw/

Anthony

I ended up getting the Vega Utility model, it fit my saw with no
drilling, easy to install and is far better than my old fence, I think if
I had the cash I would have gotten the Biesemeyer, but the budget was
just not there...all-in-all it seems to be great so far....

Thanks to All that offered advice....

Regards,

DCH