TP

Default Delta planer problem

Hi,
I have a Delta 12 1/2 in planer. I accidentally fed a strip of wood of 1/8
in thick through the planer and didn't realize that the thinest limit is
3/16. It planed ok but after that it won't start anymore. Did I just burn
the motor by doing that? Is there a fuse or something to protect
overloading? Anyone ran into the same problem?

Duane Bozarth

TP wrote:

Hi,
I have a Delta 12 1/2 in planer. I accidentally fed a strip of wood of 1/8
in thick through the planer and didn't realize that the thinest limit is
3/16. It planed ok but after that it won't start anymore. Did I just burn
the motor by doing that? Is there a fuse or something to protect
overloading? Anyone ran into the same problem?

Have you lowered the tables? Perhaps the head is jammed against
something solid?

Does it try and stall or is there simply no power to the motor?

Sounds coincidental to me...if it was running fine when you finished and
turned it off, I'm thinking more than likely you've had a switch failure
or some such. Don't have one so don't know what was done about overload
protection. I assume that would be in the operations manual if you can
read the Chinese... There's always Delta's 800 number if no more
direct help here.
Jim

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
TP wrote:

[...]

Doesn't it have a universal motor? Those things aren't famous for
reliability.
Does it have a thermal overload switch? If there is one, push it and try
again.
Can you turn the motor shaft by hand (disconnect it first)? If you can't,
the motor must be repaired or replaced.
Don't apply power to the unit if you can't turn the motor shaft by hand. If
you do this, you are merely finishing the job of destroying the motor.
Jim

Duane Bozarth

Jim wrote:

Don't apply power to the unit if you can't turn the motor shaft by hand. If
you do this, you are merely finishing the job of destroying the motor.

I suspect, based on the post, if it won't it already has been done...
TP

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try to look into the motor and switch
area this weekend. Last time I looked at the cutting head and could turn it
with the provided wrench.

. ..

TP wrote:

[...]

Rob Mills

"TP" wrote in message ...

I have a Delta 12 1/2 in planer. I accidentally fed a strip of wood of

1/8 in thick through the planer and didn't realize that the thinest limit
is 3/16. It planed ok but after that it won't start anymore. Did I just
burn the motor by doing that? Is there a fuse or something to protect
overloading? Anyone ran into the same problem?

I wouldn't think that going to 1/8th would hurt anything as long as the
blades didn't hit (lordhelpus) the table. I have a 20 year old Ryobi AP10
that's planed down to 1/8th (and lower) many times and still works as it
did when new. RM~

Rob Mills wrote:
"TP" wrote in message ...

I have a Delta 12 1/2 in planer. I accidentally fed a strip of wood of

1/8 in thick through the planer and didn't realize that the thinest limit
is 3/16. It planed ok but after that it won't start anymore. Did I just
burn the motor by doing that? Is there a fuse or something to protect
overloading? Anyone ran into the same problem?

I wouldn't think that going to 1/8th would hurt anything as long as the
blades didn't hit (lordhelpus) the table.

Well, it would be likely to hurt the wood being planed as wood that
thin
will chatter (DAMHIK). You can plane thin wood by using double
stickly carpet tape to attach it to a thicker board. Do not use
very much tape, it sticks wuite well especially after passing
through the planer. If you use more than a little, it will be
hell trying to get the thin wood seperated from the base piece.
(again, DAMHIK).

--

FF

Blade angle problem on Delta Contractor's saw Larry Spitz Woodworking 4 February 16th 05 05:33 AM
Problem with a Delta Planer JGS Woodworking 6 January 21st 05 12:06 AM
Old delta 12" planer repair question..... j.duprie Woodworking 2 June 22nd 04 09:42 PM
Delta Announcement News Maven Woodworking 4 April 1st 04 06:23 PM
Well, well, well; Delta MAY have listened - the brand new 14 Band Saw now has a RESILIENT MOUNT motor! shades of yesteryear! David Binkowski Woodworking 3 August 21st 03 06:28 AM