JGS

Default Problem with a Delta Planer

From another forum: I guy has a feed problem with his planer and takes
it to a repair depot and eventually posts the following which I thought
might be of interest for those who work in cold shops. ...............

"Delta called me today to say that they found no problems with the
planer. They had tested with a couple of boards and there was no
jerkiness whatsoever. So I asked if they ran hard maple thru in which
they said no. So i jumped in my car with a couple of maple boards and
went into the shop with them. He was right, no issues...it planed as
smooth as one would expect. I brought a couple of other boards to show
the pattern on the boards from my planing the night before and they
agreed it looked suspicious. We tried about 20 passes and everything was
perfect. I am very confused but can't argue with the results. Then an
older fellow came over and asked what the temp of the shop was, I was
in. I told him it was my garage and that at best I get it up to 50
degrees. He looked at the rollers and came to the conclusion that the
cold temp was hardening the rollers just enough that with the bit of
dirt I had, it was probably my issue. Recommended I go home, clean the
rollers with paint thinner, than hot soapy water and give it another
try. So I go home, put the planer in the garage, go back to work. Come
back 6 hrs later, get the heaters going, get the temp up to maybe 50 and
try planing some maple...sure enough, jerky, jerky, jerky. So, I clean
as per instructed and just for safety, rewax the tables.....planes like
a charm now!

Jeepers, i would have never thought the temp could effect things like
that.
Sorry for the length here but it was a valuable lesson for myself and
hopefully others. "

George

"David" wrote in message
Hmmm, I thought alcohol was the appropriate cleaner for the rollers; not
a petroleum based solvent.

Non-polar solvent for resins.

David

You like that term (polar), don't you, George?

David

George wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Hmmm, I thought alcohol was the appropriate cleaner for the rollers; not
a petroleum based solvent.

Non-polar solvent for resins.

George

I've always found learning proper terminology invaluable in acquiring
information.

Solvents immiscible with water dissolve substances immiscible with water and
vice-versa.

Which means, like, oil and water don't mix, y'know.

George wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Hmmm, I thought alcohol was the appropriate cleaner for the rollers; not
a petroleum based solvent.

Non-polar solvent for resins.

TDUP

Thanks for the feedback. I have had a similar problem with my Delta
planer and now wonder if that isn't my problem also. I keep mine in the
basement where it doesn't get much over 60. Sometimes it works really
well and other times the chips seem to get all clogged up and it just
doesn't plane well.

Tim

From another forum: I guy has a feed problem with his planer and takes

Old delta 12" planer repair question..... j.duprie Woodworking 2 June 22nd 04 09:42 PM
Goldstar CNR-2994P Tuner problem Jerry G. Electronics Repair 4 June 21st 04 07:39 PM
Well, well, well; Delta MAY have listened - the brand new 14 Band Saw now has a RESILIENT MOUNT motor! shades of yesteryear! David Binkowski Woodworking 3 August 21st 03 06:28 AM
: FS: Delta DC-380 15" planer and wood in Asheville, NC. DeltaDC380ForSale Woodworking 0 August 19th 03 05:58 PM
For Sale, Delta planer, craftsman bandsaw,103.0103 , Work bench top in pittsburgh Area Tony D. Woodworking 0 July 12th 03 06:53 PM