shooter

Default Lumber Rack Storage System

Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Aldrich
Birmingham, Alabama

Patriarch

"shooter" wrote in
oups.com:

Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

How many tubafors can you buy for $165?

Patriarch
Leon

"shooter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Thanks in advance.

I got very similar for a lot less money from Grizzly. I can do chin-ups on
the 12" brackets. IIRC earlier this year I bought 4-4" standards, 12-12"
brackets, and 4-18" brackets for about $110.00 delivered.
Look here
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H2535

Stephen M

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...44&cat=1,43326

The supported brackets eat too much space, but it 14" depth is enough for
your application, then item C (14" double bracket) could get you a similar
system. I ddi not do the math on the woodcraft set, but the individual
pieces are considerably more expensive than the LV. Personally I would
rather have a shelving system with all the same depth shelves.

-Steve

"shooter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Aldrich
Birmingham, Alabama

Upscale

"Leon" wrote in message

I got very similar for a lot less money from Grizzly. I can do chin-ups

on
the 12" brackets. IIRC earlier this year I bought 4-4" standards, 12-12"
brackets, and 4-18" brackets for about $110.00 delivered.

Don't know about cost or quality, but I've seen similar brackets available
at Home Depot. As a matter of fact, the HD I go to was using them for some
of their racks.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:01:50 -0500, the opaque Patriarch
clearly wrote:

"shooter" wrote in
roups.com:

Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

How many tubafors can you buy for $165?

'boutahunnert.

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

Leon

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

I got very similar for a lot less money from Grizzly. I can do chin-ups

on
the 12" brackets. IIRC earlier this year I bought 4-4" standards, 12-12"
brackets, and 4-18" brackets for about $110.00 delivered.

Don't know about cost or quality, but I've seen similar brackets available
at Home Depot. As a matter of fact, the HD I go to was using them for some
of their racks.

The Grizzly ones that I bought are very heavy duty. The steel is 3/16"
thick.

Leon

"Dave" wrote in message
Why in the world would you pay big bucks for one when you can build your
own
out of 5 or 6 2x4's and scrap lumber for 10 bucks or so??

For me the 5 or 6 2 x's would cost $26. The steel ones from Grizzly are
about $110 but you get adjustability with out needing tools to move the
brackets and the brackets are only about 1" tall where the 2x4's are taking
up much more space at 3.5" per bracket. With 4 shelves you loose 14 inches
of storage height vs. 4". For me that was worth the price difference.

Stephen M

Easy, if you design with a front support. This means that long boards need
to be threaded in from the end or at an angle. This would not be possible if
your lumber rack were on a 12' wall.

Would a 2x4 handle a fully cantilevered design? If it did how deep you you
make your verticle members? A 2-by on the flat would not have enough meat in
front of the fastener for my taste. Idunno, but it sounds like a reasonable
appllication for steel to me.

-Steve

"Dave" wrote in message
Why in the world would you pay big bucks for one when you can build your

own
out of 5 or 6 2x4's and scrap lumber for 10 bucks or so??

Ken Johnsen

"shooter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3
vertical 2x4s attached to the floor & ceiling joists. 3' apart (like wall
studs).

Drilled 1" holes, 16" apart, in the edges at 5 degree angle (pointing up -
prevents stock from slipping off) and slipped 12" lengths of 1" pipe into
the holes

Ken

Dave

I built mine out of 2x4's and liquid nails etc. I braced the shelves with
2x4". My shelves are 2 feet a part and 18 inches deep. I have 4 shelves
which is adequate for me. Not bad for 10 or 12 bucks. Any scraps that I
needed I got by diving into a contractors dumpster in our subdivision.
There's a bunch of houses being built around here. I also got some nice
cherry and oak boards out of em.

"Ken Johnsen" wrote in message

"shooter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3
vertical 2x4s attached to the floor & ceiling joists. 3' apart (like wall
studs).

Drilled 1" holes, 16" apart, in the edges at 5 degree angle (pointing up -
prevents stock from slipping off) and slipped 12" lengths of 1" pipe into
the holes

Ken

Mike in Arkansas

I used the 12 inch grey painted brackets that screw directly to the
wall and ment to hold shelves. They are $1.27 or so at the borg.
Placed ever other stud they will hold a lot of weight. I have three
rows of four each of these and they are holding over 1/2 load of a
small pickup truck of oak. Of course they are not adjustable but the
price is right.

Joe Gorman

Ken Johnsen wrote:
"shooter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3
vertical 2x4s attached to the floor & ceiling joists. 3' apart (like wall
studs).

Drilled 1" holes, 16" apart, in the edges at 5 degree angle (pointing up -
prevents stock from slipping off) and slipped 12" lengths of 1" pipe into
the holes

Ken

Was this plumbing pipe or EMT? I seem to recall one using EMT but can't
find it again. I need a rack but only want to make it once.
Joe
Ken Johnsen

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message news:42d2b6f3$0$18650$1
Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3
vertical 2x4s attached to the floor & ceiling joists. 3' apart (like

wall
studs).

Drilled 1" holes, 16" apart, in the edges at 5 degree angle (pointing

up -
prevents stock from slipping off) and slipped 12" lengths of 1" pipe

into
the holes

Ken

Was this plumbing pipe or EMT? I seem to recall one using EMT but can't
find it again. I need a rack but only want to make it once.

I used iron pipe, per the instructions. Just checked and it's 7/8" od 5/8"
id

CC

"shooter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Aldrich
Birmingham, Alabama

Some extra information about this rack system
This is the same type supports that the telephone companies use in their
manholes and offices to support cables.
They will hold a huge amount of weight and they use all different sizes of
the brackets, from the short 6" ones to
the longer 16 and longer.
You might check at any of the storerooms around your area and talk with any
of the foreman there to see if you
can scrounge through their metal scrap bins to salvage some of the thrown
away hangers and uprights.
Once they pull them out.. they are tossed and usually a scrap company comes
by once in a while and picks up
the scrap metal to get it out of their way
Some of the racks may have to be cleaned, but usually the galvanized metal
is in very good condition and can be salvaged and
easily used.
A little looking around your local area's may get you a rack system like
this for the price of a little time only
With that in mind, check with some of the salvage yards also, They may be
one that is picking up the scrap matal and will
probably sell it by the pound rather cheeply
CC

Frank Boettcher

I fastened a 1 x 4 to every other stud on one wall in my shop then
drilled holes to accept short pieces of 1/2" pipe. Drilled through
the 1 x 4, drywall, and about 1-1/2" into the stud. Stuck short
pieces of 1/2" pipe in and loaded it up. Drilled the holes at a
slight angle so to precamber for the load.

cost very little, works very well.

Wall has not fallen in yet.

Frank

On 11 Jul 2005 06:42:47 -0700, "shooter"
wrote:

Woodcraft has this model
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3931
for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this
one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should
consider?

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Aldrich
Birmingham, Alabama

shooter

Thanks. That sounds like good advise.

Ronnie

Joe Gorman

Ken Johnsen wrote:
"Joe Gorman" wrote in message news:42d2b6f3$0$18650$1
Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3

vertical 2x4s attached to the floor & ceiling joists. 3' apart (like

wall

studs).

Drilled 1" holes, 16" apart, in the edges at 5 degree angle (pointing

up -

prevents stock from slipping off) and slipped 12" lengths of 1" pipe

into

the holes

Ken

Was this plumbing pipe or EMT? I seem to recall one using EMT but can't
find it again. I need a rack but only want to make it once.

I used iron pipe, per the instructions. Just checked and it's 7/8" od 5/8"
id

Thanks, time to get out the crowbar, small, and start organizing the
shed. Then I work on the upgrade from shop to studio.
Joe
Patriarch

Joe Gorman wrote in
:

snip

Thanks, time to get out the crowbar, small, and start organizing the
shed. Then I work on the upgrade from shop to studio.

The upgrade from shop to studio is one of the mind, the heart, and your
skillsets.

Some of the better artists I've met have much more modest facilities than
I.

Patriarch,
working on it...

Rob Spear

Go to Home Depot they have the same system, that's what i did and works
fine. Good Luck!

Scott Lurndal

"Stephen M" writes:
Easy, if you design with a front support. This means that long boards need
to be threaded in from the end or at an angle. This would not be possible if
your lumber rack were on a 12' wall.

Would a 2x4 handle a fully cantilevered design? If it did how deep you you
make your verticle members? A 2-by on the flat would not have enough meat in
front of the fastener for my taste. Idunno, but it sounds like a reasonable
appllication for steel to me.

When I built my shed, I doubled up the wall studs on one
wall (at 0', 4' and 8'). I notched the inside faces of each paired stud
with a 3/4" deep by 3.5" high by 3.5" wide notch. Insert an 18" length of
two-by-four, secure with a couple of 16d sinkers and you have a
cantilevered lumber storage rack. Have three levels, at 1' from
the floor, 2.5' and 4' from the floor. Each holds an amazing amount
of lumber.

-Steve

"Dave" wrote in message
Why in the world would you pay big bucks for one when you can build your

own
out of 5 or 6 2x4's and scrap lumber for 10 bucks or so??

Joe Gorman

Patriarch wrote:
Joe Gorman wrote in
:

snip

Thanks, time to get out the crowbar, small, and start organizing the
shed. Then I work on the upgrade from shop to studio.

The upgrade from shop to studio is one of the mind, the heart, and your
skillsets.

Some of the better artists I've met have much more modest facilities than
I.

Patriarch,
working on it...

Yes, I need to change from coll^H^H^H^H gathering handplanes and put
them to use, and resume practicing hand cut dovetails.
I have managed to acquire a potential benchtop. Live oak slab 5" x 24"
x 5'. Just need to trim the ends and design a support structure to hold
it. I'm ignoring the 'how to lift it to the top of the legs' for now.
Joe
Stephen M

Scott,

It sounds as though you have a you have a good design that works well for
you. I was certainly incorrect to question the carrying capacity of a
cantelievered 2x4.

However, the point of post was to refute wzhat was suggested by Dave's post
that it was silly to invest in a steel rack system. I was trying to point
out that a 2x4-based system is not the best choice in some cases.

In my shop, by lumber storage rack is above my jointer. I have less than 3
verticle feet of wall space to work with. Also, I have finished walls
(Sheetrock). Unless I tore apart the walls, the verticles would be proud of
the wall. It may sound silly, but an extra 3"x10' is a footprint which I
would rather not surrrender in my shop.

-Steve

"Dave" wrote in message
Why in the world would you pay big bucks for one when you can build

your
own
out of 5 or 6 2x4's and scrap lumber for 10 bucks or so??

Patriarch

Joe Gorman wrote in
:

snip
I have managed to acquire a potential benchtop. Live oak slab 5" x
24" x 5'. Just need to trim the ends and design a support structure
to hold it. I'm ignoring the 'how to lift it to the top of the legs'
for now. Joe

Couple of stumps would look cool...

Joe Gorman

Patriarch wrote:
Joe Gorman wrote in
:

snip

I have managed to acquire a potential benchtop. Live oak slab 5" x
24" x 5'. Just need to trim the ends and design a support structure
to hold it. I'm ignoring the 'how to lift it to the top of the legs'
for now. Joe

Couple of stumps would look cool...

The one big piece available weighs about 10,000 lbs.4'+/- across and
10'+ tall. I do have a 6' crosscut saw that might be able to cut it, if
there was a way to set it on blocks to do the cutting, assuming I could
last long enough for the 4 cuts needed, and find someone, or several
someones, foolish enough to run the other end of the saw.
Joe
Patriarch

Joe Gorman wrote in news:42d647c6$0$18648$14726298
@news.sunsite.dk:

Patriarch wrote:
Joe Gorman wrote in
:

snip

I have managed to acquire a potential benchtop. Live oak slab 5" x
24" x 5'. Just need to trim the ends and design a support structure
to hold it. I'm ignoring the 'how to lift it to the top of the legs'
for now. Joe

Couple of stumps would look cool...

The one big piece available weighs about 10,000 lbs.4'+/- across and
10'+ tall. I do have a 6' crosscut saw that might be able to cut it, if
there was a way to set it on blocks to do the cutting, assuming I could
last long enough for the 4 cuts needed, and find someone, or several
someones, foolish enough to run the other end of the saw.
Joe

Block & tackle? Forklift? Chain saw? Levers?

You visit here and wonder if you could find a few fools? Not been paying
close attention, have you?

Patriarch,
one of many...
Joe Gorman

Patriarch wrote:
Joe Gorman wrote in news:42d647c6$0$18648$14726298
@news.sunsite.dk:

Patriarch wrote:

Joe Gorman wrote in
k:

snip

[...]

Well, it's been raining a bit lately, and the Lull, rough terrain
forklift, sinks in so far when it tried to pick it up last time it
couldn't move. Maybe when it dries out a little.
Half rounds from the trunk to support the top, sounds interesting.
Joe