JuanKnighter

Default Bandsaw question

Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a same
sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

Leon

"JuanKnighter" wrote in message
Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a
same sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not. Is a Cabinet saw really worth the
extra cost over a bench top TS?
If you are going to be using the Laguna regularly and often, yes, it is
worth the extra cost. If you are going to only use it on weekends it may be
considered more of a luxury tool.

Big Rob

I recently purchased a Minimax MM16 and have not regretted it for a
second. If you take close look at the Minimax and Laguna, you'll see
that there is a huge difference in quality. If you're going to do
resawing or be using the saw a lot I would definitely go with a
european saw.

I would aslo recommend the Minimax over the Laguna. It has more iron
and is beefier than the Laguna (in my opinion). And the Laguna sales
staff is arrogant and often unhelpful. Minimax has been a pleassure to
deal with.

Leon wrote:
"JuanKnighter" wrote in message
Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a
same sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not. Is a Cabinet saw really worth the
extra cost over a bench top TS?
If you are going to be using the Laguna regularly and often, yes, it is
worth the extra cost. If you are going to only use it on weekends it may be
considered more of a luxury tool.

D. J.

Leon wrote:
"JuanKnighter" wrote in message

Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a
same sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not. Is a Cabinet saw really worth the
extra cost over a bench top TS?
If you are going to be using the Laguna regularly and often, yes, it is
worth the extra cost. If you are going to only use it on weekends it may be
considered more of a luxury tool.

I agree but with a caviat. I was perfectly happy with a good contractor
saw and still feel it was a fine piece of equipment and it did
everything I asked. However, after lurking here quite awhile and
reading Leon's posts, I decided a cabinet saw was in order - I also
determined based on his posts that a left tilt would be preferable for me.

After I had it for just a few weeks, I decided that I probably didn't
need it and found the left tilt awkward as I was used to a right tilt.
Now, a year and half later, I love this saw and love the left tilt and
have come to see it's many advantages. I enjoy it everytime I turn it on.

What does this have to do with a bandsaw - I say go for it if it won't
break the bank. Working with high quality tools is a pleasure in
itself, not just what they can do for you. It hurts the pocket
temporarily but if you can swing it, you have a tool for life that you
will take great pride in owning - long after the money is forgotten.
Slowhand

"JuanKnighter" wrote in message
Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a
same sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

I don't have a laguna but I do have a minimax mm16 (which are on sale right
now fwiw).

Yes, it is definately worth the price difference. I had a taiwanese band
saw before the minimax.

Best decision I've made yet to replace it.
SH

John Gilham

I purchased the Jet 16 inch bandsaw and I love it. It is designed like the
european saw, ie. no riser block, but it does have 10+ iches of resaw
capacity. I had a jet 14 with the riser block for several years and worked
it to death...

cheers
john
"JuanKnighter" wrote in message
Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a
same sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

Rob

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:29:56 -0700, "JuanKnighter"
wrote:

Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a same
sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

Definitely. I owned a Taiwanese-clone of a Delta 16" bandsaw and found
it lacking in many areas especially precision. I spent countless
hours tuning that saw with only above-par results ultimately. I spent
$400 total on that saw. I eventually sold the saw.

Recently, I acquired a used 20" Centauro bandsaw for $650. It needed
some TLC to remove years of rust through neglect and bring it back to
peak performance. But the results are great. Well worth the money.