Default Bandsaw riser block question

I'm about to buy a bandsaw, and want to know what the general usage of riser
blocks is ..
Is it standard procedure to install them and leave them in, or is it
desirable to remove them when the additional height is not needed ?
Rephrased, does the use of riser blocks cause increased tuning / adjustment
problems?

My thoughts are that I am eventually (soon) going to want to do some
resawing or cutting thick blocks and will require the riser blocks. Also, I
figure I should probably get the kit up front so I don't have any problem
(time or availability) when I finally do want it.
If there are no issues with leaving the riser blocks in, then I would only
need one set of blades rather than 2.

For the past 7 years I have had a sears variable speed 3 wheel 11" bandsaw.
The primary limitation has been 3 1/2" cutting height.
Recently I have not been able to tension it enough. I have yet to call
sears to price a new spring, if they still have parts, but fixing it I would
still leave me with limitations that have bugged me for 6 years. I
frequently cut plastics, which is why a new saw is desirable to be multi
speed.
If it can be fixed relatively cheaply, I will.

About the saws I am looking at - 14" multi speed capable, enclosed motor
I have narrowed it down to two, with the essential differences that I know
of so far

Delta 28-206 2 speed 16" table, , fast tension release
King KC-1433fx 3 speed, 15" table,

both have: 9 spoke wheels, enclosed motor, micro adjusts, 1 hp motor

Comments would be appreciated.

--
M. Silver

Gene T

I would install th3e riser block from the start and not worry about buying 2
different sized blades. i don't feel that the riser block created any
additional. tracking/adjustment problems

Take a look at the Jet model also that has 3 speeds.
Gene
"M" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Wilson

"M" wrote
Is it standard procedure to install them and leave them in, or is it
desirable to remove them when the additional height is not needed ?

You just install it once, and leave it in.

About the saws I am looking at - 14" multi speed capable, enclosed motor
I have narrowed it down to two, with the essential differences that I know
of so far

Delta 28-206 2 speed 16" table, , fast tension release
King KC-1433fx 3 speed, 15" table,

I can't comment on those saws specifically, but my saw has a tension
release lever which is _extremly_ handy.
NoOne N Particular

By the time you add the riser block and a couple of other accessories to the
price, you are getting close to something like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0513

Wayne

"M" wrote in message
[...]

Matt

Thanks for the info

Adding the riser blocks up front and needing only one set of blades is what
I needed to know.

I will look into the other bandsaws that have been recommended, but I kind
of want my equipment to be able to serviced locally should I need it. The
dealer for Delta and King are one in the same here and literally around the
corner from me.

Matt