Bill

Default Finishing redwood for outdoors?

Guys,

I am building an outdoor shower stall out of some old rehabbed redwood. Any
recommendations for a coating. I don't think that I want to paint it.

Bill

Patriarch

"Bill" wrote in
:

Guys,

I am building an outdoor shower stall out of some old rehabbed
redwood. Any recommendations for a coating. I don't think that I want
to paint it.

Linseed oil, thinned maybe 2 to 1 with mineral spirits, applied every
couple of years. Spray it on with a garden sprayer, like you would use for
pesticides, if you want. It works for my redwood fences.

I wouldn't try to use anything with a film finish, like varnish. YMMV.

Patriarch
B a r r y

Bill wrote:
Guys,

I am building an outdoor shower stall out of some old rehabbed redwood. Any
recommendations for a coating. I don't think that I want to paint it.

I LOVE this stuff on western red cedar.

Barry
B a r r y

B a r r y wrote:
Bill wrote:

Guys,

I am building an outdoor shower stall out of some old rehabbed
redwood. Any recommendations for a coating. I don't think that I want
to paint it.

I LOVE this stuff on western red cedar.

Barry

Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/tint.htm

Schroeder

I use General Finishes outdoor project finish (not sure of the exact name),
It has UV protectors that hold the color the same as the day it is applied.
Can be applied the same way Patriarch suggested.

Schroeder

"Bill" wrote in message
Guys,

I am building an outdoor shower stall out of some old rehabbed redwood.

Any
recommendations for a coating. I don't think that I want to paint it.

Bill

HerHusband

Bill,

I am building an outdoor shower stall out of some old rehabbed
redwood. Any recommendations for a coating.

Several months ago I made some corner shelves for a large indoor shower. I
recycled the redwood from an old deck we tore down. I applied three coats
of an exterior "Spar" varnish, making sure to cover all edges and surfaces
of the wood. So far it looks great, and works beautifully.

Spar varnish is commonly used for boats and exterior doors, so I assume it
would hold up on an outdoor shower. I got mine at the local Lowes store.

It will produce a bit of a gloss though, which you may or may not be
looking for? But, it would probably be easier to clean than oiled wood?

Anthony
PDQ

"HerHusband" wrote in message =
| Bill,
|=20
| I am building an outdoor shower stall out of some old rehabbed
| redwood. Any recommendations for a coating.
|=20
| Several months ago I made some corner shelves for a large indoor =
shower. I=20
| recycled the redwood from an old deck we tore down. I applied three =
coats=20
| of an exterior "Spar" varnish, making sure to cover all edges and =
surfaces=20
| of the wood. So far it looks great, and works beautifully.
|=20
| Spar varnish is commonly used for boats and exterior doors, so I =
assume it=20
| would hold up on an outdoor shower. I got mine at the local Lowes =
store.
|=20
| It will produce a bit of a gloss though, which you may or may not be=20
| looking for? But, it would probably be easier to clean than oiled =
wood?
|=20
| Anthony

Spar varnish will hold up well as long as you keep it out of the sun.
There is, probably, no clear finish that can stand up to sun.

--=20
PDQ