Swingman

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Hey, wasn't Swingy just railing on -me- about OT posts?

Try your whining "political potshots" ... you need to work on your filtering
there, "bubba".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

jo4hn

Swingman wrote:
"jo4hn" wrote in message

[snip]
Do you think anyone in the current (or recent past) administrations
knows about "braceros". Can GWB learn from that?
j4
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:37:29 GMT, the opaque
(Scott Lurndal) clearly wrote:

Lew Hodgett writes:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I learned a lot of good Mexican cooking while living in CA and made a
chorizo burrito for breakfast the other day. (Like sausage, don't ask
what's used to make it.

I like most foods; however, much as I try, Mexican foods will never make
my top 40.

A cuisine built on lard, just doesn't do it for me.

Not that most Mexican cooks/restaurants use lard much any more...

Ah, you've never had a taco de chivo, or lengua burrito, then. Add
an agua fresca (horchata (spelling horiblus)). Or Biria de chivo
(close enough to a stones album title).

Yum.

Yum. (Brain tacos and tongue burritos.) Just don't tell people what's
in 'em.

Then there is good Thai food (red curry, green curry, yellow curry,
pad thai, cachew chicken, honey beef, spring rolls).

Chicken green curry is my favorite Thai meal of all time. I even grow
my own basil and take baggies full of green leaves into the Thai
restaurant, getting all sorts of doubletakes (from the customers,
waitresses, AND the cooks), then have them add it to the dish instead
of those crappy green pepper slices (Urg.) I once weaved in the door,
greens-filled baggie dangling from one hand, all squinty eyed, and
with a BIG grin on my face. That went over well, too. The waitress I
weaved for had asked me if she could smell it before taking it to the
cook last time. g

Or, as we had today for lunch, Dim Sum. Shu mai, har gow, chicken's
feet (delish),
You don't know what your missing!

Keep your chicken feet. Ever see/smell what those chicks -stand- in?

--
ALL YOUR FEARS ARE LIES
-----------------------
Lew Hodgett

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Then there is good Thai food (red curry, green curry, yellow curry,
pad thai, cachew chicken, honey beef, spring rolls).

And if they are really good, lemon grass soup.

Or, as we had today for lunch, Dim Sum. Shu mai, har gow, chicken's
feet (delish), turnip cakes with bbq pork bits, bbq pork buns,
sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaf, tripe, octopus, sharks-fin dumplings,
scallop dumplings und so weiter..

Here in SoCal, good dim sum is fairly easy to find, especially in the
Chinese neighborhoods.

Just bring your wallet and plan on spending enough time to enjoy it.

IMHO, when you have good dim sum, who needs greasy Mexican?

Lew

You don't know what your missing!

scott

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

If so, do it right. Make traditional beef or chicken tamales, not some
newfangled yuppie-mex raisin stuff, eh?

Yeah, a 40 year old yuppie recipe! They were desert - remember I was 2
to 5 years old at the time and they were a special treat. I do like
shredded beef or chicken but being a traditionalist prefer pork tamales.
One or two of those and a chile relleno - oh yeah BABY! Chorizo and eggs
is another favorite - get the ol' sinuses moving in the A.M . and nary a
problem all day.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

A cuisine built on lard, just doesn't do it for me.

Not that most Mexican cooks/restaurants use lard much any more...

Given the problems with hydrogenated oils (shortenings) I'd prefer my
meals contain lard, butter or olive oil - and that's coming from a
now-aware heart patient.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
__________

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Fly-by-Night CC

In article . net,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

IMHO, when you have good dim sum, who needs greasy Mexican?

Well, at least with south-of-the border fare you're not hungry an hour
after dinner! 'Sides, nothin' goes with a good Marg like... that's
right, Mexican food.

(You can take the boy outa the Southwest, but you can't take the
Southwest outa the boy.)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
__________

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Swingman

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message

Yeah, a 40 year old yuppie recipe! They were desert - remember I was 2
to 5 years old at the time and they were a special treat. I do like
shredded beef or chicken but being a traditionalist prefer pork tamales.
One or two of those and a chile relleno - oh yeah BABY! Chorizo and eggs
is another favorite - get the ol' sinuses moving in the A.M . and nary a
problem all day.

There's this little adobe hut with a dirt floor and a "cafe" sign outside in
a little crossroads town in Coahuila about 150 miles south of Piedras Negras

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:19:36 -0700, the opaque Fly-by-Night CC
clearly wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

If so, do it right. Make traditional beef or chicken tamales, not some
newfangled yuppie-mex raisin stuff, eh?

Yeah, a 40 year old yuppie recipe! They were desert - remember I was 2
to 5 years old at the time and they were a special treat. I do like
shredded beef or chicken but being a traditionalist prefer pork tamales.

When my sister went to ASU (Tempe, AZ) in '72, her biology class took
a look at canned, fully-cooked hams under the microscope. It was fully
alive with all sorts of things. Nobody in our family has eaten pork
since, with the one exception of the occasional burnt bacon slice.

One or two of those and a chile relleno - oh yeah BABY! Chorizo and eggs
is another favorite - get the ol' sinuses moving in the A.M . and nary a
problem all day.

My caucasian neighbor (Dakota raised) makes a mean relleno and always
brings me some when she makes them.

--
ALL YOUR FEARS ARE LIES
nospambob

California had a Bracero program that was tried more than 60 years
ago, no longer around. Work permits for Mexican workers.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:58:13 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

IMO, a guest worker program, as instituted in many European countries, is a
sensible answer to the dilemma on both sides.