Phisherman

On 23 Jun 2005 17:37:36 -0700, "jo"
wrote:

How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
The job took about 30 minutes.

Thanks for any help.....

The materials:

plastic blue box: $0.50
receptical: $1.50
nuts: $0.15
Romex #12: $1.00
Cover plate: $1.50

Labor: $50-$100

Prices vary according to location. This is an easy DIY project if you
carefully follow all the steps.
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:38:57 -0400, the opaque Robatoy
spake:

I hope this clears that up, Larry:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/heresign.htm

I love it!

I visited some friends of mine near St Louis. They live in a
subdivision, tucked away in a semi developed area.
I had printed out the limited directions that Expedia had given me, but
found a major landmark (Krispy Kreme) and found my way from there.
Upon arrival, the host asked: "Did you find it okay?"
I couldn't help myself: "No, I was banging on some random f***kin'
doors and as luck would have it one of them happened to be yours!"
"Here's your sign!"

Man, I like to visit less signy people. Mine ask "Did you have any
trouble finding it after I gave you those detailed instructions?"
I can always say "Nope, not a bit."

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Lew Hodgett

The Thread

If I give you directions and you don't get there, you are a dumb ****.

Hopefully, you will get killed in traffic and reduce the dumb ****
population.

lew
Edwin Pawlowski

"toller" wrote in message
True; but what abnormal situation could boost the price by $90, but still
let him finish in 20 minutes?

Chrome plated conduit?

The problem with threads like this is we never get all the information.
Maybe he was quoted $95 but was not told that was on top of the $70 service
fee. Or perhaps the guy was just an evil ******* that decided to screw the
customer.

Andrew Barss

jo wrote:
: How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
: about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
: When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
: said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
: The job took about 30 minutes.

My electrician charges $25 to come to the house, then $45/hour.
Southern AZ. About a third of what you were billed.

-- Andy Barss

Odinn

On 6/25/2005 10:41 PM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:38:57 -0400, the opaque Robatoy
spake:

I hope this clears that up, Larry:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/heresign.htm

I love it!

I visited some friends of mine near St Louis. They live in a
subdivision, tucked away in a semi developed area.
I had printed out the limited directions that Expedia had given me, but
found a major landmark (Krispy Kreme) and found my way from there.
Upon arrival, the host asked: "Did you find it okay?"
I couldn't help myself: "No, I was banging on some random f***kin'
doors and as luck would have it one of them happened to be yours!"
"Here's your sign!"

Man, I like to visit less signy people. Mine ask "Did you have any
trouble finding it after I gave you those detailed instructions?"
I can always say "Nope, not a bit."

I love the way directions are given out here by the locals.

Go down to where the old Smith barn burnt down 20 years ago, take a
left, go to where the old man and his dog are sitting by the red
pickemup truck and take a right.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Edwin Pawlowski

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

My electrician charges $25 to come to the house, then $45/hour.
Southern AZ. About a third of what you were billed.

My electrician charged $45 for the whole day. I think you got ripped.

Edwin Pawlowski

"charlie" wrote in message

At $6/hr I think you got a deal. Sure he's licensed?

Licensed, insured, work was inspected etc. First class electrician. I know
he made a good living and his truck was brand new, a 1966 Ford.

On 26-Jun-2005, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

My electrician charges $25 to come to the house, then $45/hour.
Southern AZ. About a third of what you were billed.

My electrician charged $45 for the whole day. I think you got ripped.

I don't recall of OP posted her location or not. It's matters hugely.
Here in San Diego North County $160 for anything, even just showing up at
your door and sneering at you, is a deal.
Back in the DC area I had most of the outlets in my house replaced for $145.
That was some years ago though. And this poor guy had to deal w/50 year
old cable that liked to snap when you tried to bend it. (is why i called in
a pro)

OP shouldn't be afraid to call up the company and explain the bill though.
As Doug has pointed out there are a variety of reasons the $90 estimate
could of shot up to $160. OP certainly has the right to insist on having
the discrepancy explained. But you won't find that here on usenet.

ml

Unquestionably Confused

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message

At $6/hr I think you got a deal. Sure he's licensed?

Licensed, insured, work was inspected etc. First class electrician. I know
he made a good living and his truck was brand new, a 1966 Ford.

ROTFLMAO!

Good one. You got him!

Dave

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 03:15:27 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The Thread

If I give you directions and you don't get there, you are a dumb ****.

Hopefully, you will get killed in traffic and reduce the dumb ****
population.

lew

Such a sweet man.....Glad you posted yer email addy for the spambots

http://www.usenet.com
Doug Miller

In article , "toller" wrote:

Are you saying that an over-the-phone estimate is as accurate as an
on-site quote?

An honest business person would say "I thought is was a normal situation.
This is different for the following reasons and will cost more" That
gives the buyer a chance to decide BEFORE the work is done.

True; but what abnormal situation could boost the price by $90, but still
let him finish in 20 minutes?

Easily could have been 30 minutes (not 20 - read the OP) of actual work
commenced *after* an hour of sitting there waiting for the homeowner to move
the stuff that was blocking access to the panel. :-P

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article . net, Lew Hodgett wrote:
The Thread

If I give you directions and you don't get there, you are a dumb ****.

Hopefully, you will get killed in traffic and reduce the dumb ****
population.

We used to live in a rather sparsely populated rural area, on a dead-end road.
Directions to our house ended with "... turn north, the road dead-ends in 300
yards, we're at the dead-end, it's the only house there."

It's amazing how many people will ask which side of the road it's on, or what
color it is.

--
Regards,

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Easily could have been 30 minutes (not 20 - read the OP) of actual work
commenced *after* an hour of sitting there waiting for the homeowner to

move
the stuff that was blocking access to the panel. :-P

Perhaps, but that would be PURE speculation on your part. I think the extra
$70 was for new pants needed because the dog ripped them.
-j