DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is the cost for adding an Electrical Outlet (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/110666-what-cost-adding-electrical-outlet.html)

jo June 24th 05 01:37 AM

What is the cost for adding an Electrical Outlet

How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
The job took about 30 minutes.

Thanks for any help.....

David June 24th 05 01:40 AM

It breaks down this way:

$15 for materials--maybe less
$75 to show up at your house
$60 to cover his expertise.

He made some profit to stay in business. Seems reasonable.

Dave

Dave Balderstone June 24th 05 01:59 AM

In article .com, jo
wrote:

How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
The job took about 30 minutes.

Could you have done it in 30 minutes for between $90 and $160?

;-)

Seriously, if you have a problem with the bill, call them and discuss
it. Be calm and reasonable about things. Tell them you recall being
told $90 and you were siurprised to receive a bill for $160, and ask
them to please itemize the charges.

Keep in mind that quoting over the phone and actually getting into the
job are two very different things.

Last summer, I had a problem with a rail car full of newsprint (pics at
http://www.producer.com/free/paper_rolls/... Have a look.) and our
printer was concerned (rightly so) about the entire load shifting and
injuring someone.

I called a salvage company recommended by the rail company and asked if
he would give me an estimate on removing the rolls (average mass per
roll is 520 kg). His answer was "it will be under one million dollars".
He then explained that he no longer is willing to give an estimate
because he has no way to know what's inside the job. In this case, he
was able to pull all the rolls out without incident, but if you look at
the pics it sure apppears like 30 metrics tons of newsprint is ready to
fall as soon as that top roll is moved.

I have no idea what your electrical job looks/looked like, so I offer
this only as an anecdote to illustrate why a phone quote could be
distant from the reality discovered on-site.

I'll repeat myself... Call them, be polite, and ask them to explain the
charges and the difference between the bill and the quote.

You'll get a better answer than this rambling bit of nonsense... :-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Bob G. June 24th 05 02:48 AM

On 23 Jun 2005 17:37:36 -0700, "jo"
wrote:

How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
The job took about 30 minutes.

Thanks for any help.....

================================

LOL...

You were billed for his travel time in addition to his actual on site
time plus someone has to pay for that Plus his truck, his insurance,
his telephone, his gasoline, and even for his screwdriver....

I bet that if you had him install 2 outlets instead of 1 your total
cost would have been under 170 Bucks...

I am not a tradsman of any sort BUT I did run a business before I
retired....The cost of doing business has to be paid by the customer

Bob G.

Edwin Pawlowski June 24th 05 03:52 AM

"jo" wrote in message
oups.com...
How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.

I had three outlets installed and he charged me $15 each.

toller June 24th 05 04:15 AM

"jo" wrote in message
oups.com...
How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
The job took about 30 minutes.

It is impossible to say if that was a reasonable charge or not. As others
have said, he has to figure something in for his travel time, and that might
have been more than the work. It could easily have been $160.

However...
If you estimated $90, then $160 is outrageous. It couldn't possibly have
cost $70 more than he expected.
If you are certain he said $90, then talk to him. If he won't be
reasonable, don't pay it; but expect to visit small claims court, where the
judge may or may not believe you.

Now, did he get it inspected like your town almost certainly requires. Not
doing that might make it more difficult to sue you. Now of course, nobody
gets it inspected, and I doubt your town will care, but it is still illegal.
Check your town's website to see their requirements for electrical work.

BTW, I obviously haven't seen it, but installing an outlet 2 feet from your
breaker box is pretty simple. I expect you could have gotten a perfectly
competent handyman to do it for $15-$40, depending on exactly what was
involved.

toller June 24th 05 04:18 AM

If you estimated $90,

That should be "if he estimated", not "you" It makes difference what you
estimated. Sorry.

Guess who June 24th 05 04:36 AM

On 23 Jun 2005 17:37:36 -0700, "jo"
wrote:

How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
The job took about 30 minutes.

I had a washing machine wouldn't work. Called the repair guy. After
about 45 seconds, he said I had a break in my electrical line. "No
way.", I said. I installed that myself. He chargedme $35 for 45
seconds of actual work.

.....I had a break in the line. I really did fix it this time.

What should he have charged for 45 seconds of actual work? Your bill
of $160 might not be too far out of line.

Jeff Kingsley June 24th 05 06:48 AM

Just goes to show, you should ALWAYS get it in writing when it comes to
estimates when dealing with contractors you have no experience with, be it
by e-mail, fax, or handwritten on a napkin. If they can't write an estimate,
or even a 'NOT TO EXCEED' estimate then consider one of the other
contractors in your area. If he can't figure it out before hand for straight
forward stuff like what you described, I can't believe he can figure it out
accurately afterwards either.

As far as the cost, it is what it is. What other people paid for similar
work is irrelevant - too many variables not taken into account. Personally,
I'd call him and discuss your concerns, and if he doesn't budge or
compromise, pay it and consider the whole thing a $70 learning experience.
If it saves you $700 dollars on a bigger job, it will have been money well
spent.

Cheers

J Kingsley

oups.com...

Doug Miller June 24th 05 01:12 PM

In article , "toller" wrote:

It is impossible to say if that was a reasonable charge or not.

[snip]
If he] estimated $90, then $160 is outrageous. It couldn't possibly have
cost $70 more than he expected.

Does anyone else see a contradiciton here? :-)

BTW, I obviously haven't seen it, but installing an outlet 2 feet from your
breaker box is pretty simple. I expect you could have gotten a perfectly
competent handyman to do it for $15-$40, depending on exactly what was
involved.

Ever seen a breaker box flush-mounted in drywall? Installing an outlet two
feet away means opening the drywall at the box and drilling through two studs,
just to run the cable from the breaker box to the site of the new outlet.
Job's even worse if the wall is lath and plaster.

I doubt you'll find even an INcompetent handyman who'd do that for fifteen
bucks.

It's not all that simple if everything is exposed, either. Suppose it's
exposed on a poured-concrete basement wall. Can't use NM (Romex) cable for
that: gotta use BX, MC, or conduit of some type, and whatever you use must be
secured to the wall. That means a hammer drill and a couple of plastic or lead
anchors. And of course the receptacle box must be secured to the wall. More
drilling, more anchors.

--
Regards,

Lawrence Wasserman June 24th 05 02:45 PM

In article .com,
jo wrote:
How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet
about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement.
When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they
said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160.
The job took about 30 minutes.

Thanks for any help.....

If ou live in Baltimore I'll install one for $80...

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

J June 24th 05 04:37 PM

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Or what if the outlet is in an area with explosive gases? Or on the outside
of the International Space Station? Nah, $160 is cheap, it could have cost
you a couple of million.

-j

Edwin Pawlowski June 24th 05 06:59 PM

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message

If ou live in Baltimore I'll install one for $80...

Got a new panel, breakers, two outdoor light installed, a three way switch
for the basement and it only cost me $160.

toller June 24th 05 07:05 PM

[...]

That you AlphaTurd? No one else would post anything so foolish.
Yeah, like I said, I haven't seen it; but odds are it is pretty simple and a
handyman could do it for $15-$40. If any concrete had to be cut away, or
even drywall worked around, the OP would have mentioned it and the
electrician wouldn't have estimated $90.
Why are you so obsessed with what I have to say, but completely disregard
what the OP says? (I know, I know; you have a duty to protect the innocents
from my advice to follow the manufacturer's instructions and the like.)

Doug Miller June 24th 05 07:39 PM

In article , "J" wrote:
[...]

Or inside the vessel of a nuclear reactor on board a submarine currently
submerged 100m under the North Polar ice cap? I can be as ridiculous as you.

The situations I described, though, are *common* situations in many homes. And
to say blithely with no knowledge whatsoever of the installation requirements
that $160 is an "outrageous" charge for installing a single outlet demonstates
a certain lack of understanding and thinking.

--
Regards,

Upscale June 24th 05 07:55 PM

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:vrYue.5818

The situations I described, though, are *common* situations in many homes.

And
to say blithely with no knowledge whatsoever of the installation

requirements
that $160 is an "outrageous" charge for installing a single outlet

demonstates
a certain lack of understanding and thinking.

I agree. It's an "outrageous fee" because he only had one outlet installed.
There's a standard fees for travelling time, standard fees for showing up,
standard fees for installing an outlet. Only way to mediate those fees would
have been to have a number of outlets installed at the same time.
Electricians do it, plumbers do it and a few other trades do it too.

Doug Miller June 24th 05 07:57 PM

In article , "toller" wrote:

[...]

Wade, when are you going to outgrow this junior high school name calling
phase? My 13yo son got past that a *long* time ago.

No one else would post anything so foolish.

Speaking of foolish... how about telling the guy the price he was charged is
"outrageous" when you yourself admit that you don't have the first idea what
the conditions of the installation are?

Yeah, like I said, I haven't seen it; but odds are it is pretty simple and a
handyman could do it for $15-$40. If any concrete had to be cut away, or
even drywall worked around, the OP would have mentioned it and the
electrician wouldn't have estimated $90.

You're ASSuming an awful lot here.

I never said anything about cutting concrete away. But it's a fact that a
Code-compliant installation (something that you are clearly unacquainted
with) on a concrete block wall requires that the conductors be protected in
*something*, and that both the box and the conduit be secured to the wall.
That's well out of "$15-$40" territory already.

Why are you so obsessed with what I have to say, but completely disregard
what the OP says?

Why are you so obsessed with trying to give people electrical advice, when
you don't have the first idea what you're talking about? Stick to offering
advice on subjects you know something about. If you can find one.

In this case, I didn't even realize it was you I was responding to, until
afterward.

(I know, I know; you have a duty to protect the innocents

If nobody corrects the nonsense you post, someday someone will be hurt or
killed by following your instructions.

from my advice to follow the manufacturer's instructions and the like.)

If you *would* advise people to follow the manufacturer's instructions, you
wouldn't be nearly so dangerous. The problem arises when your so-called advice
_directly_contradicts_ the manufacturer's instructions and the Code - like
when you told the guy installing his range hood to connect the equipment
ground to the circuit *neutral* despite the manufacturer's instructions which
he quoted directing that it be attached to the *ground*.

--
Regards,

toller June 24th 05 08:08 PM

And
to say blithely with no knowledge whatsoever of the installation

requirements
that $160 is an "outrageous" charge for installing a single outlet

demonstates
a certain lack of understanding and thinking.

That you again AlphaTurd?
Charging $160 is outrageous because he was quoted $90 for a job that took 20
minutes. Where did the extra $70 come from? Labor? Materials? How could a
20 minute job quoted at $90 minutes change to $160? If his travel time
doubled, that is not the OP's problem.

Upscale June 24th 05 08:13 PM

"toller" wrote in message
Charging $160 is outrageous because he was quoted $90 for a job that took

20
minutes. Where did the extra $70 come from? Labor? Materials? How could

20 minute job quoted at $90 minutes change to $160? If his travel time
doubled, that is not the OP's problem.

So why didn't the OP ask for an explanation of the final charges? To
blithely accept those charges without requesting an explanation puts the
ball in the OP's court. Coming to this newsgroup to complain or request an
explanation is fruitless without knowing all the details.

Doug Miller June 24th 05 08:24 PM

In article , "toller" wrote:

And
to say blithely with no knowledge whatsoever of the installation

requirements
that $160 is an "outrageous" charge for installing a single outlet

demonstates
a certain lack of understanding and thinking.

Charging $160 is outrageous because he was quoted $90 for a job that took 20
minutes.

The OP wrote "When I called ... I could've sworn they said about $90".

Note the following:
a) It's an estimate, not a quote.
b) It was made over the phone, *without* seeing the job.
c) The OP has not provided *any* details.
d) The figure is approximate. That's what "about" means.
e) The OP seems to have some uncertainty over the amount of the estimate he
was given. ("... I could've sworn...")

And it was 30 minutes, not 20.

Where did the extra $70 come from? Labor? Materials? How could a
20 minute job quoted at $90 minutes change to $160?

And how can you say it's outrageous? You don't know anything about the
situation, other than the numbers. You have _no_basis_ for saying that it's a
ripoff, a good deal, or anything else.

--
Regards,

toller June 24th 05 08:27 PM

"Upscale" wrote in message
"toller" wrote in message
Charging $160 is outrageous because he was quoted $90 for a job that took

20
minutes. Where did the extra $70 come from? Labor? Materials? How could

20 minute job quoted at $90 minutes change to $160? If his travel time
doubled, that is not the OP's problem.

So why didn't the OP ask for an explanation of the final charges? To
blithely accept those charges without requesting an explanation puts the
ball in the OP's court. Coming to this newsgroup to complain or request an
explanation is fruitless without knowing all the details.

Certainly what you say is correct. But my wife's friends have asked me the
same question several times; they had some work done, the price was higher
than they were told, and they want to know if it is fair. Most women (and
many men as well) can't stand confrontation and would just take the bill
without asking. Besides, they wouldn't understand the electrician's
explanation anyhow. (It is usually on auto repair, which I don't know much
more about than they do...)

But, if he quoted $90 and actually did the job in 20 minutes (two big IFs
admittedly) than there is probably no explanation for the $160.

jtpr June 24th 05 08:35 PM

I vote for outrageous. It took 20 min so we know there wasn't any
oddball things here, it was a straight case. Who cares how far this
guy had to travel? He factored that into the original estimate.

You got jammed, don't ever call him again. But more importantly, I
hope you watched him so you can do the next one yourself. It really is
a very simple job most of the time.

Upscale June 24th 05 09:03 PM

"toller" wrote in message
Certainly what you say is correct. But my wife's friends have asked me

the
same question several times; they had some work done, the price was higher
than they were told, and they want to know if it is fair. Most women (and
many men as well) can't stand confrontation and would just take the bill
without asking.

Ok, I know some people have real difficulty asking for an explanation. But
when it happens often enough, the time comes when they have to overcome that
hesitation one way or another. Suggestion for people with that difficulty is
to have a friend on hand or have prepared questions written down. Another
way to look at it is not as confrontation, but as a learning experience. The
failure to learn will come next time something similar happens and an
explanation is not requested. Can't suggest anything else.

David June 24th 05 10:00 PM

:) I'd bet you a case of beer the electrician has an explanation for
the charges.

Dave

J June 24th 05 10:55 PM

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
Or what if the outlet is in an area with explosive gases? Or on the

outside
of the International Space Station? Nah, $160 is cheap, it could have

cost
you a couple of million.

Or inside the vessel of a nuclear reactor on board a submarine currently
submerged 100m under the North Polar ice cap? I can be as ridiculous as

you.

No you can't. Space station trumps nuclear reactor.

-j

Robatoy June 25th 05 02:01 AM

Manomanoman.

A troll-feeding-frenzy ensues. Hilarity notwithstanding.

160 smackers? For a single outlet?

Rich for Mayberry RFD...cheap for Toronto.

It does remind me of the type of questions I get sometimes. Often in
total earnest: "How much for a counter top?"

I have answered, albeit seldom: "About the same as a car repair!"

Lee Michaels June 25th 05 03:26 AM

"Robatoy" wrote

It does remind me of the type of questions I get sometimes. Often in
total earnest: "How much for a counter top?"

What??

You don't do psychic estimates??

Tom Banes June 25th 05 04:05 AM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:01:44 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

ing.

160 smackers? For a single outlet?

Rich for Mayberry RFD...cheap for Toronto.

For Dallas - guy who added a 220 / 30 breaker and line/box/plug in my
garage got $110 - seemed reasonable to me as the breaker was 1/3 of
that. He ran 15' of conduit cable and wired a box and a female plug,
left me the male plug to wire myself. He even let me watch!. The
second 220 line (for DC), I did myself, cause now I had a clue.

Bruce Barnett June 25th 05 12:46 PM

"jtpr" writes:

I vote for outrageous. It took 20 min so we know there wasn't any
oddball things here, it was a straight case. Who cares how far this
guy had to travel? He factored that into the original estimate.

I had a new 220 outlet installed 5 feet from the breaker, and it was
more than $200 (as SWMBO recalls). He had to install a plug as well.
So $160 doesn't seem outrageous.

Are you saying that an over-the-phone estimate is as accurate as an
on-site quote?

Edwin Pawlowski June 25th 05 01:05 PM

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

Are you saying that an over-the-phone estimate is as accurate as an
on-site quote?

An honest business person would say "I thought is was a normal situation.
This is different for the following reasons and will cost more" That gives
the buyer a chance to decide BEFORE the work is done.

Larry Jaques June 25th 05 02:33 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:26:58 -0400, the opaque "Lee Michaels"
spake:

"Robatoy" wrote

It does remind me of the type of questions I get sometimes. Often in
total earnest: "How much for a counter top?"

What??

You don't do psychic estimates??

It used to crack me up how many people called up the body shop I
wrenched for--to ask for a repair quote over the phone. The most
often asked simple question was "How much will it cost to repair my
fender?" with no hint as to the year/make/model/side/end of the car
OR the extent of damage. Go figure.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

toller June 25th 05 02:56 PM

Are you saying that an over-the-phone estimate is as accurate as an
on-site quote?

An honest business person would say "I thought is was a normal situation.
This is different for the following reasons and will cost more" That
gives the buyer a chance to decide BEFORE the work is done.

True; but what abnormal situation could boost the price by $90, but still
let him finish in 20 minutes?

toller June 25th 05 03:01 PM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:26:58 -0400, the opaque "Lee Michaels"
spake:

"Robatoy" wrote

It does remind me of the type of questions I get sometimes. Often in
total earnest: "How much for a counter top?"

What??

You don't do psychic estimates??

It used to crack me up how many people called up the body shop I
wrenched for--to ask for a repair quote over the phone. The most
often asked simple question was "How much will it cost to repair my
fender?" with no hint as to the year/make/model/side/end of the car
OR the extent of damage. Go figure.

I think they are looking to hear " Obviously it depends on the nature of the
damage, but fender repair is typically in the 100/1000/10000 ballpark."
Yes, there is the risk they will take whatever you say as a quote (as the OP
might have), but they haven't any idea what repairs go for, and just want to
know what they are getting into.

Robatoy June 25th 05 03:47 PM

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

It used to crack me up how many people called up the body shop I
wrenched for--to ask for a repair quote over the phone. The most
often asked simple question was "How much will it cost to repair my
fender?" with no hint as to the year/make/model/side/end of the car
OR the extent of damage. Go figure.

What an opportune moment to say: "Here's your sign."

Larry Jaques June 25th 05 05:10 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:47:15 -0400, the opaque Robatoy
spake:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

It used to crack me up how many people called up the body shop I
wrenched for--to ask for a repair quote over the phone. The most
often asked simple question was "How much will it cost to repair my
fender?" with no hint as to the year/make/model/side/end of the car
OR the extent of damage. Go figure.

What an opportune moment to say: "Here's your sign."

That one went PSA on me. 'Sprain, preese.

-----

LRod June 25th 05 05:23 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

It used to crack me up how many people called up the body shop I
wrenched for--to ask for a repair quote over the phone. The most
often asked simple question was "How much will it cost to repair my
fender?" with no hint as to the year/make/model/side/end of the car
OR the extent of damage. Go figure.

What an opportune moment to say: "Here's your sign."

That one went PSA on me. 'Sprain, preese.

Oh, it's a good 'un.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Robatoy June 25th 05 08:25 PM

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

What an opportune moment to say: "Here's your sign."

That one went PSA on me. 'Sprain, preese.

I hope this clears that up, Larry:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/heresign.htm

Bill Engval is the originator of that routine. Quite funny.

Larry Jaques June 25th 05 10:40 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:25:34 -0400, the opaque Robatoy
spake:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

What an opportune moment to say: "Here's your sign."

That one went PSA on me. 'Sprain, preese.

I hope this clears that up, Larry:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/heresign.htm

Bill Engval is the originator of that routine. Quite funny.

I love it!

-----

Robatoy June 25th 05 11:38 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

What an opportune moment to say: "Here's your sign."

That one went PSA on me. 'Sprain, preese.

I hope this clears that up, Larry:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/heresign.htm

Bill Engval is the originator of that routine. Quite funny.

I love it!

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

I visited some friends of mine near St Louis. They live in a
subdivision, tucked away in a semi developed area.
I had printed out the limited directions that Expedia had given me, but
found a major landmark (Krispy Kreme) and found my way from there.
Upon arrival, the host asked: "Did you find it okay?"
I couldn't help myself: "No, I was banging on some random f***kin'
doors and as luck would have it one of them happened to be yours!"
"Here's your sign!"