David Lang

Default Router bearing trouble

Hi

I have a problem using bearing guided cutters on pine & MDF. The bearing
seems to leave a mark where its run along the edge. Worse on pine,
noticeable on MDF

Cutters are of various makes, reasonable mid range quality, carbide tipped &
new.

The bearings seem to run freely.

Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can
lubricate the bearing with?
Dave

Leon

"David Lang" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I have a problem using bearing guided cutters on pine & MDF. The bearing
seems to leave a mark where its run along the edge. Worse on pine,
noticeable on MDF

Cutters are of various makes, reasonable mid range quality, carbide tipped
& new.

The bearings seem to run freely.

Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can
lubricate the bearing with?
Dave

I think you find that you will leave the same mark with the same pressure
you exert even if the router is not turned on, the carbide edge is not
touching the wood, and only the bearing is touching the wood. Simply
running the bearing down the edge with the router turned off "can" form an
indentation in soft materials. I suggest a lighter touch.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:45:47 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

Hi

I have a problem using bearing guided cutters on pine & MDF. The bearing
seems to leave a mark where its run along the edge. Worse on pine,
noticeable on MDF

Cutters are of various makes, reasonable mid range quality, carbide tipped &
new.

The bearings seem to run freely.

Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can
lubricate the bearing with?
Dave

you can lube the bearing with any very light oil such as sewing
machine oil, but if it's turning freely that probably isn't the
problem. if it were siezed it would prolly burn instead of pressing
in- what sort of mark is it leaving? if it's pressing in try not
pushing the router into the work so hard; take more lighter passes...

Spread out the unit pressure (force/unit area) with 2 or 3 bearings
stacked on each other. May require a longer screw or shank if the
bearing is on the shank.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

BobS

A trick to try is to cover the edge with some smooth masking tape. Be sure
it's below/above the cutters. Nothing as messy as a bit with tape wrapped
around it...;-)

As others suggested, a lighter touch is probably the fix. Also check Pat
Warner's site http://www.patwarner.com for an offset base for your router so
you can control the router easier and avoid a "death grip" on it. May be
simply taking lighter cuts so you don't need so much pressure.

This link has some good info http://www.patwarner.com/6182_offset.html.

Bob S.

"David Lang" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I have a problem using bearing guided cutters on pine & MDF. The bearing
seems to leave a mark where its run along the edge. Worse on pine,
noticeable on MDF

Cutters are of various makes, reasonable mid range quality, carbide tipped
& new.

The bearings seem to run freely.

Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can
lubricate the bearing with?
Dave

tom

Dave wrote: I have a problem using bearing guided cutters on pine &
MDF. The bearing
seems to leave a mark where its run along the edge. Worse on pine,
noticeable on MDF

Cutters are of various makes, reasonable mid range quality, carbide
tipped &
new.
The bearings seem to run freely.
Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can
lubricate the bearing with?

This could also be an indication that your routers' bearings are outta
whack. Are you using the router in a table? If so, you could use a
fence, and hide the bearing from the work just behind the fence. If
you're freehanding it, I'd go with the lighter touch/offset base. Tom

Tom

Would slowing down the router speed help? Or is there something I can
lubricate the bearing with?

Does the bearing have a metal plate covering the balls? It most likely
is a shielded bearing and is lubricated with grease and not designed
to be relubricated. Hopefully the mfg. would have designed it for low
torque.