JGS

Default Speed Bloc Speed Problem

My Speed Bloc has started to operate at a much faster speed. The manual
does not mention any brake / clutch pad that needs replacement. Any
ideas? Thanks, JG

Leon

"JGS" wrote in message
My Speed Bloc has started to operate at a much faster speed. The manual
does not mention any brake / clutch pad that needs replacement. Any
ideas? Thanks, JG

It is just a motor that spins. Could you have possibly been using an
extension cord prior to it speeding up?

Leon

An extension cord can seriously limit proper voltage. If the extension cord
was not of the correct gauge you may have been experiencing voltage drop.
Remove the restriction/extension cord, and you again have proper voltage and
the sander will run at normal speed.

That said, I always use an extension cord and do not see a speed drop
although the extension cord is short and 14 gauge IIRC. I do hear a speed
drop when the compressor comes on that is connected to the same circuit but
different outlet.

With the increase in speed, do you see any increase in output from the
sander?

Leon wrote:

"JGS" wrote in message
My Speed Bloc has started to operate at a much faster speed. The manual
does not mention any brake / clutch pad that needs replacement. Any
ideas? Thanks, JG

It is just a motor that spins. Could you have possibly been using an
extension cord prior to it speeding up?

JGS

Hi Leon,
It was a 12 gauge 10' cord. My shop is in the country and voltage fluctuations
are common. They have been working on a small transformer station down the road.
Maybe there is a connection.
And yes, with an increase in speed the sander worked faster making it tough to
control. I am back in the shop today so I will se if the problem still exists.
Cheers, JG

Leon wrote:

"JGS" wrote in message
My Speed Bloc has started to operate at a much faster speed. The manual
does not mention any brake / clutch pad that needs replacement. Any
ideas? Thanks, JG

It is just a motor that spins. Could you have possibly been using an
extension cord prior to it speeding up?

Leon

"JGS" wrote in message
Hi Leon,
It was a 12 gauge 10' cord. My shop is in the country and voltage
fluctuations
are common. They have been working on a small transformer station down the
road.
Maybe there is a connection.
And yes, with an increase in speed the sander worked faster making it
tough to
control. I am back in the shop today so I will se if the problem still
exists.
Cheers, JG

I would wonder if maybe you are receiving more that the normal voltage to
your house now if the work is being done in the area. The sander should not
be hard to control.
On another note, my sander started vibrating badly and seemed to run faster
about a year ago and pieces started coming off of the base. I ended up
replacing the base and the sander vibrated less and worked like new.

JGS

Hi Leon,
I feel like such a goof as I should have mentioned this before. A day or so
before this problem was noticed, the sander started to make a sick noise. It
turned out that a ring had come off the shaft that joins the paper clips on one
end of the sander and they we vibrating like crazy, so I took them off. I guess
replacing the base or at least the clips is worth trying. Thanks, JG

Leon wrote:

"JGS" wrote in message
[...]

Leon

"JGS" wrote in message
Hi Leon,
I feel like such a goof as I should have mentioned this before. A day or
so
before this problem was noticed, the sander started to make a sick noise.
It
turned out that a ring had come off the shaft that joins the paper clips
on one
end of the sander and they we vibrating like crazy, so I took them off. I
guess
replacing the base or at least the clips is worth trying. Thanks, JG

Yeah been there and done that. I removed the spring clamps and ended up
putting them back on to stop the out of control vibration. The whole pad
assembly is available for about $35.