michael moorman

Default Dust collectors, considering 3

I am considering purchasing 1 of these for use in my garage sized shop. Will
use with contractor saw, bench top planner, 6" belt sander, disk sander, and
band saw. Usually 1 tool at a time.

Jet 708626RCK DC-1100, 1.5 hp, 1100 cfm, 2 micron canister $ 445 free shipping

Penn State DC2000CF, 2hp, 1500 cfm, 1 micron canister $ 399 + shipping

Grizzly G0548, 2hp, 1700 cfm, 1 micron filter canister, $495 + shipping

Any thoughts about sizing or experience with these systems would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks

mike moorman

Dave Jackson

I have the Jet. Plenty powerful enough to handle machines mentioned, even
several at once if necessary. The canister will occasionally need removed
and cleaned thoroughly, as the flappers do not remove all the dust. (I do
mine a couple times a year or so outside with compressed air) The plastic
bags are thick enough to reuse many times. Get a remote control, They are
well worth the extra few bucks! --dave

"michael moorman" wrote in message
link.net...
I am considering purchasing 1 of these for use in my garage sized shop.
Will
use with contractor saw, bench top planner, 6" belt sander, disk sander,
and
band saw. Usually 1 tool at a time.

Jet 708626RCK DC-1100, 1.5 hp, 1100 cfm, 2 micron canister $ 445 free
shipping

Penn State DC2000CF, 2hp, 1500 cfm, 1 micron canister $ 399 + shipping

Grizzly G0548, 2hp, 1700 cfm, 1 micron filter canister, $495 + shipping

Any thoughts about sizing or experience with these systems would be
greatly
appreciated.

thanks

mike moorman

C & M

If you're willing to spend that kind of change I'd go with the unit that
moves the most air. My experience is with the Harbor Freight unit in just
the same situation as you discribe. Hooked up to a 4" PVC run and gates at
each hose connection the unit has no trouble with any of the desribed
equipment. I would suggest that you add a second stage separator to take
some of the load and potential damage off of the main unit. I used a small,
steel drum (20 gal or so), lined with a heavy trash bag which is weighted to
keep it down. This catches 90% of the dust and debis. I've got no
complaints with the HF unit.

"michael moorman" wrote in message
link.net...
I am considering purchasing 1 of these for use in my garage sized shop.

Will
use with contractor saw, bench top planner, 6" belt sander, disk sander,

and
band saw. Usually 1 tool at a time.

Jet 708626RCK DC-1100, 1.5 hp, 1100 cfm, 2 micron canister $ 445 free

shipping

Penn State DC2000CF, 2hp, 1500 cfm, 1 micron canister $ 399 + shipping

Grizzly G0548, 2hp, 1700 cfm, 1 micron filter canister, $495 + shipping

Any thoughts about sizing or experience with these systems would be

greatly
appreciated.

thanks

mike moorman

Slowhand

You might want to check out the JDS 1.5 hp unit.
I have one and have nothing but good to say about it.
It now has an available cannister as well.
SH

"michael moorman" wrote in message
link.net...
I am considering purchasing 1 of these for use in my garage sized shop.
Will
use with contractor saw, bench top planner, 6" belt sander, disk sander,
and
band saw. Usually 1 tool at a time.

Jet 708626RCK DC-1100, 1.5 hp, 1100 cfm, 2 micron canister $ 445 free
shipping

Penn State DC2000CF, 2hp, 1500 cfm, 1 micron canister $ 399 + shipping

Grizzly G0548, 2hp, 1700 cfm, 1 micron filter canister, $495 + shipping

Any thoughts about sizing or experience with these systems would be
greatly
appreciated.

thanks

mike moorman

Frank J. Vitale

You might also check out the noise level, usually given in db level. When I
bought mine a few years ago, the Jet was considerable quieter then the Penn
State.

Mr Fixit eh

If you are looking to purchase a DC for the protection of your lungs,
then you should do some serious research first. Buy or borrow the
book, 'Woodshop Dust Control' by Sandor Nagyszalanczy. Check out
www.billpentz.com . For dust collection that will filter 99.9% of
particles from 0.2 micron to 3.0 micron in your sized shop, you will
want a two-stage (cyclone) system with a motor that develops a real 1.5
Hp minimum. Beware that alot of what's marketed does not perform
anywhere near what the manufactures claim.

For a few hundred dollars more you can by an Oneida Dust Gorilla or the
new Grizzly. This is serious dust collection.

Steve

Han

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in news:1117345889.879140.324040
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

For a few hundred dollars more you can by an Oneida Dust Gorilla or the
new Grizzly. This is serious dust collection.

Which new Grizzly do you mean?

--
Best regards
Han
Fourleaves

I have had the Penn State DC2000 for some time with no problems. I have
rewired for 220. I plan to go to the canister and plastic bags soon, vs the
5 micron felt. Dealing with the bags is the largest hassle I have found, but
all the cleaners in this class look the same to me in this regard, though I
have no direct experience with any others.

"michael moorman" wrote in message
link.net...
I am considering purchasing 1 of these for use in my garage sized shop.
Will
use with contractor saw, bench top planner, 6" belt sander, disk sander,
and
band saw. Usually 1 tool at a time.

Jet 708626RCK DC-1100, 1.5 hp, 1100 cfm, 2 micron canister $ 445 free
shipping

Penn State DC2000CF, 2hp, 1500 cfm, 1 micron canister $ 399 + shipping

Grizzly G0548, 2hp, 1700 cfm, 1 micron filter canister, $495 + shipping

Any thoughts about sizing or experience with these systems would be
greatly
appreciated.

thanks

mike moorman

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Frank J. Vitale wrote:
You might also check out the noise level, usually given in db level. When I
bought mine a few years ago, the Jet was considerable quieter then the Penn
State.

I've got the Penn State DC, only with the 1 micron bag instead of the cannister.
I spent another $75 or so on their muffler, which is *very* effective. I can
easily carry on a conversation with the DC running and nobody has to shout. It
was a very pleasant surprise after using shop vacs.

I also highly recommend getting a wireless remote.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Mr Fixit eh

G0440. Find it at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G0440&

If your filter has not been independently tested to capture 99.9% of
particles between 0.2 and 3.0 micron, it will be missing most of the
particles that are dangerous to your health. Your shop might look
clean, but the most hazardous particles are invisible to the eye.

Steve

Han

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in news:1117457311.421536.137850
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

G0440. Find it at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G0440&

If your filter has not been independently tested to capture 99.9% of
particles between 0.2 and 3.0 micron, it will be missing most of the
particles that are dangerous to your health. Your shop might look
clean, but the most hazardous particles are invisible to the eye.

Steve

Sorry for Grizzly. That's beyond my price. I'm just an occasional
hobbyist.
--
Best regards
Han
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in

If your filter has not been independently tested to capture 99.9% of
particles between 0.2 and 3.0 micron, it will be missing most of the
particles that are dangerous to your health.

What if my filter catches the 99.9% of particles but has not been
independently tested. Will it then harm my lungs?

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in

If your filter has not been independently tested to capture 99.9% of
particles between 0.2 and 3.0 micron, it will be missing most of the
particles that are dangerous to your health.

What if my filter catches the 99.9% of particles but has not been
independently tested. Will it then harm my lungs?

Only if you're not using the charcoal filter to catch the acetone
fumes...
Unquestionably Confused

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in

If your filter has not been independently tested to capture 99.9% of
particles between 0.2 and 3.0 micron, it will be missing most of the
particles that are dangerous to your health.

What if my filter catches the 99.9% of particles but has not been
independently tested. Will it then harm my lungs?

Only if you're not using the charcoal filter to catch the acetone
fumes...

Depends. Are you running a 15 amp motor on a 30 amp circuit?

robo hippy

Consider the footprint (how much space it takes up) of your collector.
The pleated filters are the nicest, and do go down to 1 micron for
particle collection. A can instead of a bag to collect the chips is
best. Get or make a two stage system, so you don't wreck the impeller
when you accidentally suck up a rag or big chunk of solid material. A
remote switch is an "I can't live without it" accessory. You may even
want a spare one. I think my first one went out with the turning
shavings. I asked Oneida if I needed a secondary filter before venting
the air back into my shop. I could tell that they were insulted and
they replied that "our systems don't leak ANY dust." After 2 years, I
know that they are right.
robo hippy

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

robo hippy wrote:
Consider the footprint (how much space it takes up) of your collector.
The pleated filters are the nicest, and do go down to 1 micron for
particle collection. A can instead of a bag to collect the chips is
best. Get or make a two stage system, so you don't wreck the impeller
when you accidentally suck up a rag or big chunk of solid material. A
remote switch is an "I can't live without it" accessory. You may even
want a spare one. I think my first one went out with the turning
shavings. I asked Oneida if I needed a secondary filter before venting
the air back into my shop. I could tell that they were insulted and
they replied that "our systems don't leak ANY dust." After 2 years, I
know that they are right.

I've got my Penn State in the corner right by the outer aspect of the garage
door. It is plumbed to a trash can cyclone that sits under the outfeed table of
my table saw. Sitting in the corner like it is, it's damn near impossible to
get to it to turn it on and off, so I got a wireless remote from the local
Klingspor store. That came with one receiver that the dust collector plugs into
and two remotes. I've got one hanging on the overhead guard of my table saw and
the other on my bandsaw. Very handy indeed.

Truthfully, I wish I'd bought the DC before I bought an air cleaner. Had I done
that, I might not have bothered spending the money on the air cleaner at all.
Dust collectors are a wonderful thing, and light years beyond a shop vac in
performance and quietness of operation.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Patriarch

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:iXEme.883
:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in

If your filter has not been independently tested to capture 99.9% of
particles between 0.2 and 3.0 micron, it will be missing most of the
particles that are dangerous to your health.

What if my filter catches the 99.9% of particles but has not been
independently tested. Will it then harm my lungs?

Only if you're not using the charcoal filter to catch the acetone
fumes...

Depends. Are you running a 15 amp motor on a 30 amp circuit?

110v or 220v?
Bob

I purchased a Penn State DC2000 with 1 micron bags and have been very
satisfied with it. I have it hooked up to a 5" pipe with 4" reducers at
the blast gates and use it for my table saw, bandsaw, planer (grabs
every shaving from the Delta 2 speed) etc. It is quiter than a Shop Fox
or Delta and fairly easy to change the bags on. Though it does not have
a canister..I got it for $275 on sale with the 1 micron bags several
years ago.