Mortimer Schnerd, RN

robo hippy wrote:
Consider the footprint (how much space it takes up) of your collector.
The pleated filters are the nicest, and do go down to 1 micron for
particle collection. A can instead of a bag to collect the chips is
best. Get or make a two stage system, so you don't wreck the impeller
when you accidentally suck up a rag or big chunk of solid material. A
remote switch is an "I can't live without it" accessory. You may even
want a spare one. I think my first one went out with the turning
shavings. I asked Oneida if I needed a secondary filter before venting
the air back into my shop. I could tell that they were insulted and
they replied that "our systems don't leak ANY dust." After 2 years, I
know that they are right.

I've got my Penn State in the corner right by the outer aspect of the garage
door. It is plumbed to a trash can cyclone that sits under the outfeed table of
my table saw. Sitting in the corner like it is, it's damn near impossible to
get to it to turn it on and off, so I got a wireless remote from the local
Klingspor store. That came with one receiver that the dust collector plugs into
and two remotes. I've got one hanging on the overhead guard of my table saw and
the other on my bandsaw. Very handy indeed.

Truthfully, I wish I'd bought the DC before I bought an air cleaner. Had I done
that, I might not have bothered spending the money on the air cleaner at all.
Dust collectors are a wonderful thing, and light years beyond a shop vac in
performance and quietness of operation.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE