C & M

Default pseudo HVLP

I see these guns listed on-sale in HF (yea, I know) and wondered if any of
you have had any success using these in lieu of a 'real' HVLP system. Are
they really better than a standard spray gun?
TIA,
Chiz

I bought one after reading this site.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...Pspraygun.html

Its a pretty good endorsement of the gun and provides excellent info
for setting it up.

I'll be doing more automotve work than wood finishing but I haven't
used it much yet so I can't offer any personal experience.

Tom

Robatoy

In article ,
"C & M" wrote:

I see these guns listed on-sale in HF (yea, I know) and wondered if any of
you have had any success using these in lieu of a 'real' HVLP system. Are
they really better than a standard spray gun?
TIA,
Chiz

I needed to spray a headboard a couple of weeks ago, and borrowed a
Husky HVLP gravity-fed gun from an acquaintance. I liked it enough to
buy one. I have full access to my old company's booth which has a
DeVilbiss HVLP pressure-pot fed pro system and it had spoiled me over
the last few years. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance and
quality of the much cheaper Husky... like about a quarter of the price
for the gun alone.
I don't think I'd attempt a Flip-Flop Sikkens Pearl coat on a Porsche
with it, but for any kind of lacquer or poly, it's pretty good.
I paid $148.00 Can$ for it here at Home Despot (SKU 128-335) so I think
in the US you'd be closer to $100.00 (SKU 551-334)
MUCH better than a standard bottom-fed gun.
At about 6 cfm @ 40 psi, it's a bit of a hog though.

How much less is the Harbour Fright gun?

On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:55:13 -0400, "C & M"
wrote:

I see these guns listed on-sale in HF (yea, I know) and wondered if any of
you have had any success using these in lieu of a 'real' HVLP system. Are
they really better than a standard spray gun?
TIA,
Chiz

I used this gun:
for a while. it sprays pretty well and has stainless parts so you can
use it with waterbase finishes. it performed OK on my 2hp portable
compressor with frequent breaks to let the compressor catch up. it is
not particularly smoothly formed inside the gun, so it is kinda
difficult to clean, and the tip was cranked WAY too tight from the
factory- I had to apply enough force to get it off that I left tool
gouges in the body of the gun. the plastic cup broke after a while and
the needle limit knob stopped holding a setting after a while.
basically I wore it out, but I did get my $40 worth out of it and it
taught me a lot about spray finishing.

Robatoy

In article ,
"C & M" wrote:

$50 on sale, I believe, which is why I am a bit suspect of the quality!
Like most of their stuff, 'Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances'.

I'm not the world's biggest Home Despot fan, but sometimes they get it
right. Go take a peek at that gun. I think you'll like it.
Robatoy

This is the gun I was talking about:
http://tinyurl.com/aadym

HF turbine HVLP $30 !! AL Woodworking 0 February 11th 05 08:19 AM
HVLP spray guns Siggy Metalworking 7 September 2nd 04 03:42 PM
HVLP Sprayer?? Ron A Woodworking 1 December 31st 03 09:02 AM
please help with HVLP sprayer question Duke Woodworking 3 December 27th 03 04:37 PM
OT Harbor Freight HVLP spray equipment Bill Schoenbeck Metalworking 7 October 22nd 03 03:01 PM