Siggy

Default HVLP spray guns

Wondering if anyone has experience with shooting sheet metal parts like auto
body panels, etc. with HVLP equipment (lacquers and/or acrylics). As I
understand it there are basically two types of HVLP guns: Turbine driven
and conversion guns that run off of a standard compressor. Is there any
appreciable difference in the quality of the job each can produce? Which is
best for the occasional user?

Robert

Anthony

"Siggy" wrote in
m:

Wondering if anyone has experience with shooting sheet metal parts
like auto body panels, etc. with HVLP equipment (lacquers and/or
acrylics). As I understand it there are basically two types of HVLP
guns: Turbine driven and conversion guns that run off of a standard
compressor. Is there any appreciable difference in the quality of the
job each can produce? Which is best for the occasional user?

Robert

In this area, HVLP is the choice of autobody professionals hands down. It
produces less overspray, allowing a better finish with less finishing work.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
GMasterman

I bought a $100 gravity feed HVLP when I started repainting my car a couple of
years ago. Have used it alot. Have not seen all the much published advantages.
The top mounted cup makes it impossible to get in come places that were easy
with my old Binks gun. Sure wish by Binks would come home. Wish I'd never
loaned it out
Rex B

I've been using a HF $50 HVLP gravity feed, and I've painted about a car and a
half with it. Does fine for someone who doesn't know what he's doing, and
painting only race cars (those stickers aren't just advertising).
Sharpe just came out with a HVLP gun for around $100.
I'd get one of those and learn to use it.
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 03:10:35 GMT, "Siggy" wrote:

||Wondering if anyone has experience with shooting sheet metal parts like auto
||body panels, etc. with HVLP equipment (lacquers and/or acrylics). As I
||understand it there are basically two types of HVLP guns: Turbine driven
||and conversion guns that run off of a standard compressor. Is there any
||appreciable difference in the quality of the job each can produce? Which is
||best for the occasional user?
||Robert

Texas Parts Guy

Peter H.

As I ||understand it there are basically two types of HVLP guns: Turbine
driven ||and conversion guns that run off of a standard compressor. Is there
any ||appreciable difference in the quality of the job each can produce?

The grand-daddy of them all, the Binks M1G, was designed from the outset as a
HVLP gun. No "conversion" required.

A problem with turbine guns is the two or three stage turbine heats the air.

Some conversion guns are just that ... an add-on.

Not the Binks, however.

Fuji and others have competitive products.

I believe the M1G has been knocked-off by Taiwan, and that copies are available
from Horror Freight for very reasonable prices.

The M1G is a gravity fed gun, but there are others available which perform as
well.

JR NORTH

I used a cheapy HF HVLP air gun to paint the radar arch I made for my
boat. Got excellent results with automotive enamel.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Siggy wrote:
Wondering if anyone has experience with shooting sheet metal parts like auto
body panels, etc. with HVLP equipment (lacquers and/or acrylics). As I
understand it there are basically two types of HVLP guns: Turbine driven
and conversion guns that run off of a standard compressor. Is there any
appreciable difference in the quality of the job each can produce? Which is
best for the occasional user?

Robert

Rex B

I looked at some of the Sharpe Finex guns yesterday in the PBE warehouse. A very
nice-looking gun, from a manufacture with an excellent reprutation for
top-quality guns. This line will set the low-end painting business on it's ear.
I would not consider anything else under $100. My old HF gun will be my primer
gun from now on.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle
Texas Parts Guy