Dave Balderstone

In article ,
wrote:

I love some of the old guys who tell you, with a straight face no less, that
they have never heard of Lee Valley.

There's an old guy in the tool section of the local HD that told me he
had a copy of the LV catalog in his locker, and that he'd go get it if
I wanted to wait. I told him I had the current one at home and not to
bother.

This was a couple of years back, and I don't recall what I was looking
for at the time. I probably did end up ordering from LV, though.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Odinn

Larry Jaques wrote:
In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Thanks for the reminder this morning; my daily lesson.

I hit 20 in July as well.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Mark Cooper

"The thing shuddered, and sounded like the bearings were spinning,
screaming and howling..."

The OP is arguing that the tool isn't of merchantable quality.

That's pretty much the definition of merchantability.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2005 00:46:59 GMT, "Mark Cooper"
wrote:

Ever heard of a guarantee of merchantability?

Of course - if the OP had bought one of the self-immolating "Firestorm"
drills from B&D, he'd have a point.

But who's arguing that the tool here isn't "of merchantable quality" (as
my local laws phrase it) ? The question is whether the buyer has an
entitlement to replace it simply because they don't like it (for
whatever reason) rather than arguing the stronger claim that the tool
is not at all merchantable.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:56:07 -0400, the inscrutable Odinn
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:
In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Thanks for the reminder this morning; my daily lesson.

I hit 20 in July as well.

Congrats, fellow old timer! I hope to survive to July 8th, my actual
AA bday.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

Charlie Self

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

know how they manage it, but you can walk in there and ask a fresh

faced,
new HS grad if they've got a 7mm Ratrafratz Bolt and get told to go

aisle 4, 2nd cabinet on the left, 3rd row, 2nd drawer from the left

- and
*find* it right where they told you to look! Also the kind of place

where
you can walk in with a problem you don't know how to solve and walk

out
with a solution and the materials to do the job.

There aren't too many places like that around anymore, but I do

have to
concede that the Home Depot I go to has many older employees and

most of
them have the experience with stuff to be able to help me out when

I'm
having a problem. The greatest difficulty that I experience is

getting them
to understand what I want to buy.

The problem is that all the posters are right, at least some of the
time. Oft times the person you talk to at HD or elsewhere hasn't a

clue
and other times you might just as well be talking to the person who
invented the "left-handed framistan" you happen to be looking for.

The problem is you NEVER KNOW which one you've drawn that day.

It's kind of like those old logic puzzles that begin...

"You talk to two guards. One never lies and one will never speak the

truth. How..."

If you don't know the answer yourself you'll likely walk out of there

with a nice new MAPP gas torch so you can fix the gas tank on your
lawnmowerg

I doubt I'll ever forget, in Lowe's (not HD), standing near the
Customer Service desk in the new store. Two guys come in asking where
the brick mold was placed. The woman sent them to the plumbing
department.

Unquestionably Confused

Charlie Self wrote:

I doubt I'll ever forget, in Lowe's (not HD), standing near the
Customer Service desk in the new store. Two guys come in asking where
the brick mold was placed. The woman sent them to the plumbing
department.

LOL! I'm surprised she didn't send them to the cleaning supplies or the
lawn & garden area.

Odinn

Larry Jaques wrote:

In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Thanks for the reminder this morning; my daily lesson.

I hit 20 in July as well.

Congrats, fellow old timer! I hope to survive to July 8th, my actual
AA bday.

Actually, my AA bday is June 15, but I've combined it with my NA of July
20. Makes it a lot easier

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

Larry Jaques wrote:

In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Thanks for the reminder this morning; my daily lesson.

I hit 20 in July as well.

Congrats, fellow old timer! I hope to survive to July 8th, my actual
AA bday.

Oh yes, and congrats to you as well. I'm sure you'll make it, it's only
a few weeks away

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Mike Marlow

Larry Jaques wrote:

In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get
through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little
things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and
are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the
most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.

Thanks for the reminder this morning; my daily lesson.

I hit 20 in July as well.

Congrats, fellow old timer! I hope to survive to July 8th, my actual
AA bday.

Actually, my AA bday is June 15, but I've combined it with my NA of July
20. Makes it a lot easier

All right you guys - why don't you get a "room"... to (mis)use a popular
phrase. Congrats to both of you. June 30 makes 9 years for me. It's
really been a pretty easy 9 years all things considered. It was harder to
quit smoking than it was to quit drinking.

--

-Mike-

Odinn

Mike Marlow wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I quit smoking for 5 years, was around some friends who were smoking, I
lit one, had it half smoked before I realized what I had done. It was a
very quick eye opener as to how insidious the disease of addiction is.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:27:46 -0400, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"
spake:

All right you guys - why don't you get a "room"... to (mis)use a popular
phrase. Congrats to both of you. June 30 makes 9 years for me. It's
really been a pretty easy 9 years all things considered. It was harder to
quit smoking than it was to quit drinking.

Ditto, but I'm DAMNED glad I quit both. My smoking (2 packs/day, 100s)
ended just about 3 years after my sobriety began. I'm much healthier
and happier now.

P.S: Is OUR room ready yet?

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Dave Hall

On Sat, 14 May 2005 09:00:06 -0400, Odinn
wrote:

SNIPPO
All right you guys - why don't you get a "room"... to (mis)use a popular
phrase. Congrats to both of you. June 30 makes 9 years for me. It's
really been a pretty easy 9 years all things considered. It was harder to
quit smoking than it was to quit drinking.

I quit smoking for 5 years, was around some friends who were smoking, I
lit one, had it half smoked before I realized what I had done. It was a
very quick eye opener as to how insidious the disease of addiction is.

I quit a few years back fairly easily even though I am around smokers
a lot. I was going along great until a couple months ago when I got a
new cell phone. It is fairly small and light so I took to sticking it
in my shirt pocket. I couldn't quite figure out why I started feeling
the "urge" every once in a while until once when driving I did the old
habitual touch of the pocket that often proceeded getting out a smoke.
I then realized that the weight in the shirt pocket was bringing back
old responses.

Dave Hall
Odinn

"Odinn" wrote in message

Mike Marlow wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

What, in what you quoted, says anything about being ****ed off at Home
Depot, other than the topic. You need to learn how to read before you
reply. You also need to learn how to bottom post.

Sheesh, some people don't have any brains at all.