Ollie

Default Best source of teak in Pennsylvania

I am planning to do some outdoor items and somebody sold me the idea that
teak is the best lumber for that. So, what is the best way to get
reasonable quality at reasonable price in Philadelphia area? I think that I
need 10 - 30 board feet for the first projects.

All recommendations for vendors and web sites are welcome. In ideal case
there would be a lumber yard in 5 mile radius with a good selection - but I
have not yet found that one :-)

Is it feasible to even consider to import the logs and use local sawing
services?

Cheers, Ollie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ollie" Olivili at Hot Mail dot com wrote in message
I am planning to do some outdoor items and somebody sold me the idea that
teak is the best lumber for that. So, what is the best way to get
reasonable quality at reasonable price in Philadelphia area? I think that
I need 10 - 30 board feet for the first projects.

All recommendations for vendors and web sites are welcome. In ideal case
there would be a lumber yard in 5 mile radius with a good selection - but
I have not yet found that one :-)

Is it feasible to even consider to import the logs and use local sawing
services?

Let me guess., The person that sold you on the idea is over 70 years old
and has not bought a stick of wood in 30 years.

Right now, teak is about $15 a board foot. Cypress, Spanish cedar, white
oak are all about $3.50 to $4.50. I doubt it would be feasible to import the
logs. Why pay for wet wood (you pay shipping by the pound) and then saw and
dry it locally?

If you have the money and teak is what you want . . . . . .

Lew Hodgett

Ollie wrote:
I am planning to do some outdoor items and somebody sold me the idea that
teak is the best lumber for that. So, what is the best way to get
reasonable quality at reasonable price in Philadelphia area? I think that I
need 10 - 30 board feet for the first projects.

snip

If about $15/bd-ft minimum doesn't get your attention to make another
material choice, then start looking for boat yards in the area to obtain
a source name from them.

These days using teak for furniture is a waste of good teak IMHO.

I love the way teak smells when you machine it, but hate to take care of
it after installation, especially on a boat.

Lew
No

OK - So, no one answered your question.

Some places to try
Woodcraft in Downingtown,
Tague Lumber in Phoenixville (And Media & Philadelphia I think)
http://www.taguelumber.com/aboutframe.htm
Bean's Lumber in Royersford. (610) 948-4240

There may be other places to try but I suspect your best bet would be Tague.
They list it in their website. Bean's is a very small shop.

Ask them if they can order it if they don't stock it.

-B

"Ollie" Olivili at Hot Mail dot com wrote in message
I am planning to do some outdoor items and somebody sold me the idea that
teak is the best lumber for that. So, what is the best way to get
reasonable quality at reasonable price in Philadelphia area? I think that
I need 10 - 30 board feet for the first projects.

All recommendations for vendors and web sites are welcome. In ideal case
there would be a lumber yard in 5 mile radius with a good selection - but
I have not yet found that one :-)

Is it feasible to even consider to import the logs and use local sawing
services?

Cheers, Ollie

dadiOH

Ollie wrote:
I am planning to do some outdoor items and somebody sold me the idea
that teak is the best lumber for that. So, what is the best way to
get reasonable quality at reasonable price in Philadelphia area? I
think that I need 10 - 30 board feet for the first projects.

MAURICE CONDON LUMBER CO
914-946-4111
250 FERRIS AVE WHITE PLAINS, NY 10603

There is no such thing as "reasonable" teak anymore. I miss the days
when it was about the same as walnut. And walnut was $1.25/bf. Koa was
$0.50. sigh

________________

Is it feasible to even consider to import the logs and use local
sawing services?

hehehe...

But if you happen to be in SE Asia, you might take some back as excess
baggage. It is often used for crates there.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Steve Knight

anymore ipe is the wood of choice about 5.00 a bf and far more durable then
anything else out there for outdoor projects. but you need to watch the moisture
content as the decking is usually wet.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 09:06 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Confused about gluing Teak toller Woodworking 4 October 29th 04 06:35 PM
Repairing home in Pennsylvania BS! TOM KAN PA Home Repair 7 May 12th 04 03:06 PM