Default Router selection (too much HP?)

I have interest in a drop in router for a Jessem Master Lift which I
already own. So I am in need of a motor only.

My main use is for template cutting of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" cast
acrylic sheeting, so either a 2 1/4 PC 890 or 3 1/4 7518 PC router will
fit nicely into the unit.

The price is really a wash after I buy the adapter bracket for the
smaller motors.

Is there such a thing as to much power for using a spiral up cut bit
for template or edging round off work?

If not it seems to make most sense to mount the 7518 permanantly to
have a more versatile set up.

Thanks for any helpful input.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Is there such a thing as to much power for using a spiral up cut bit
for template or edging round off work?

I only have two complaints in life:
1. My router is too big
2. My penis is too big.

Some data on selection at the
http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link.
Too much power? Some times. Overfeed with big motors and small cutters
will lead to breakage.

Lenny

On 28 Apr 2005 12:39:27 -0700, wrote:

Some data on selection at the
http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link.
Too much power? Some times. Overfeed with big motors and small cutters
will lead to breakage.

I hear the same thing can happen with penises.

Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have interest in a drop in router for a Jessem Master Lift which I
already own. So I am in need of a motor only.

My main use is for template cutting of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" cast
acrylic sheeting, so either a 2 1/4 PC 890 or 3 1/4 7518 PC router will
fit nicely into the unit.

The price is really a wash after I buy the adapter bracket for the
smaller motors.

Is there such a thing as to much power for using a spiral up cut bit
for template or edging round off work?

The router will use what it needs and not one watt more. There definitely
is, however, such a thing as too little.
Jim

David

small cutters usually break due to poor technique. Like when I broke a
upcut spiral because I moved the router as it was spinning down. Had it
been running at full speed, it would have cut the wood instead of
self-destructing. Big motors don't break router bits; people do.

Dave

wrote:

Some data on selection at the
http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link.
Too much power? Some times. Overfeed with big motors and small cutters
will lead to breakage.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article KUace.4757$jS6.3397@trndny06,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

I only have two complaints in life:
1. My router is too big

Speaking of router power... anyone watch the Norm building the
multi-section builti-in bookcase? When he cut the raised panels from MDF
for the center low section, he cut it the profile two passes on his
router table. Boy oh boy, by the sound of that router struggling through
the cut Morash should have jawboned Delta for a shaper between the
prototype and the taping.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
BillyBob

wrote in message
oups.com...

If not it seems to make most sense to mount the 7518 permanantly to
have a more versatile set up.

The 7518 at Amazon with current $25 coupon makes it $260 drive out price.
Its a no brainer decision.

Bob