MrSilly

Default Ridgid 13" Planer smoke show

What a piece of junk!!

I have put this planer through very limited use. I bought it a year or
2 ago, and I planed a batch of birch boards (maybe 8 or 10) for a
project. Then, I put it on the shelf. The other day I fired it up
again, and it blew sparks & burned out.

I happened to have my camera right there, so I snapped a few good
shots. Check them out:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/deanhaas/

Click the "burned out" link on the right side.

To make matters worse, the Home Depot does not back the Ridgid
warranty, as the imply when you buy this junk. I'm done with Ridgid.

sorry for your loss....how I would look at this situation... you bought
the unit from Home Depot not from Ridgid...it should be up to Home
Depot to stand behind their sale not worm out of it. I would discuss
this with Home Depot management and be very firm about it.They owe you
a new planer or to repair your unit at least.
Good luck and I hope you can get some satisfaction!!

Mike

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
sorry for your loss....how I would look at this situation... you bought
the unit from Home Depot not from Ridgid...it should be up to Home
Depot to stand behind their sale not worm out of it. I would discuss
this with Home Depot management and be very firm about it.They owe you
a new planer or to repair your unit at least.

Warranties are from the manufacturer, not from the store. HD may help
voluntarily, but they have no obligation. HD owes nothing, but Ryobi may
depending on the terms of the warranty.

Todd Fatheree

wrote in message
oups.com...
sorry for your loss....how I would look at this situation... you bought
the unit from Home Depot not from Ridgid...it should be up to Home
Depot to stand behind their sale not worm out of it. I would discuss
this with Home Depot management and be very firm about it.They owe you
a new planer or to repair your unit at least.
Good luck and I hope you can get some satisfaction!!

Mike

I'd say this might be true if he bought the product a week or two ago, not a
year or two ago. IMO, the store has a responsibility to sell a product that
works out of the box, but is not liable for what happens a year or two down
the line. That's what the mfg warranty is for.

todd

Lobby Dosser

"MrSilly" wrote:

What a piece of junk!!

I have put this planer through very limited use. I bought it a year or
2 ago, and I planed a batch of birch boards (maybe 8 or 10) for a
project. Then, I put it on the shelf. The other day I fired it up
again, and it blew sparks & burned out.

I happened to have my camera right there, so I snapped a few good
shots. Check them out:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/deanhaas/

Click the "burned out" link on the right side.

To make matters worse, the Home Depot does not back the Ridgid
warranty, as the imply when you buy this junk. I'm done with Ridgid.

Looks like the right side elected a Pope and the left side didn't.

Kidding aside, sorry for your loss.

Robatoy

In article . com,
"MrSilly" wrote:

To make matters worse, the Home Depot does not back the Ridgid
warranty, as the imply when you buy this junk. I'm done with Ridgi

Home Depot offered a 'Lifetime Warranty' on a R2610 sander I purchased
Dec. 2003. It was an offer, highly publicized in their store and on
their web-site. I asked the highly qualified, ultra knowledgeable,
sales-kid if that would include wear and tear on the Velcro? pad. He
assured me it would be covered. (I had my doubts at the time, as you can
well imagine. I knew I would be buying replacements, but that's to be
expected.)

For a lark, I approached yet another highly qualified, ultra
knowledgeable, sales-kid, and asked him for a replacement pad. I
explained that the unit had a life-time warranty. The first question out
of his mouth was, and I swear: "Did you buy the extended warranty?"
After I realized that as I talked to him, I could see the inside of the
back of head through his eyes, I dropped the issue, at least with him.

This is an evolving story, I'll keep you posted. I'm going back there,
with a print-out of the warranty and a picture of the sign.

Meanwhile, I bought a Velcro PSA pad at Lee Valley in London, and glued
it on.
Lasted about the same length of time as the original. I'm looking into a
cheaper version of the Mirka pad which seems to last and last...but I
only use that on one kind of sandpaper.

I also noticed that Home Despot no longer has that 2610 ROS on
display... must be too expensive to buy now that the US dollar has
'adjusted'.
no(SPAM)vasys

MrSilly wrote:
What a piece of junk!!

I have put this planer through very limited use. I bought it a year or
2 ago, and I planed a batch of birch boards (maybe 8 or 10) for a
project. Then, I put it on the shelf. The other day I fired it up
again, and it blew sparks & burned out.

I happened to have my camera right there, so I snapped a few good
shots. Check them out:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/deanhaas/

Click the "burned out" link on the right side.

To make matters worse, the Home Depot does not back the Ridgid
warranty, as the imply when you buy this junk. I'm done with Ridgid.

Here's a quote from the Home Depot web site concerning the Ridgid warranty:

"RIDGID® Handheld and Stationary Power Tool 3-Year Limited Service Warranty

Proof of purchase must be presented when requesting warranty service.
Limited to RIDGID® hand held and stationary power tools purchased 2/1/04
and after. This product is manufactured by One World Technologies, Inc.
The trademark is licensed from RIDGID, Inc. All warranty communications
should be directed to One World Technologies, Inc., attn: RIDGID Hand
Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service at (toll free)
1-866-539-1710."

Unless you have paperwork showing something different you'll have to
deal with One World Technologies, Inc..

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Guess who

On 16 Apr 2005 11:20:10 -0700, "MrSilly" wrote:

What a piece of junk!!

I have put this planer through very limited use. I bought it a year or
2 ago, and I planed a batch of birch boards (maybe 8 or 10) for a
project. Then, I put it on the shelf. The other day I fired it up
again, and it blew sparks & burned out.

I happened to have my camera right there, so I snapped a few good
shots. Check them out:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/deanhaas/

Click the "burned out" link on the right side.

To make matters worse, the Home Depot does not back the Ridgid
warranty, as the imply when you buy this junk. I'm done with Ridgid.

They don't have to. The manufacturer should, but then only for a
reasonable amount of time [that's time, not use.]

I bought an item and returned it **undamaged** after a year. They
asked why I was returning it,. I said I wasn't happy with the way it
worked. No problem. Instant refund.

S...T happens. I bought an HP digital camera. The stupid rubber
grommet "protecting" the electronics connector kept falling out. I
went to the store [Staples]. No luck. They did not tell me at the
time of purchase that they could care less after the sale. So I
contacted HP. Hahahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!!! After two months of
emails, phone calls, and photos, like yourself, and even a reply from
their now defunct president, they sent me another rubber grommet
....that keeps falling out.

Dump your original [I gave mine to my kids] and buy a new, better one,
and think of it as one of life's experiences. Don't chase after them
or you'll be the only one losing sleep.

Doug Miller

In article , Guess who wrote:

S...T happens. I bought an HP digital camera. The stupid rubber
grommet "protecting" the electronics connector kept falling out. I
went to the store [Staples]. No luck. They did not tell me at the
time of purchase that they could care less after the sale. So I
contacted HP.

And now you know that, after the sale, HP couldn't care less either. Ever
notice how much "Hewlett Packard" sounds like "useless *******"? I've had one
too many experiences with their utter lack of support to ever buy one of their
products again.

--
Regards,

am I missing something....am I too "Old School" ? I would never have
treated my customer this way. When I ran my store, I sold the
equipment, the customer was buying from me. I stood behind my word.
If I told the customer it had a two year warranty, I would warrant the
equipment for two years. If the manufacture did not want to back me
up, I would still take care of my customers. I would never tell a
customer that he is on is own. I would take care of his problem even
if it cost the store money. I believe that this is the right thing to
do. Many a time I went to bat for my customer with the manufacture.
This is one reason I am still such a Delta fan. Delta always impowered
me to take care of the customer even if the customer was in fault or
the warranty was expired. If Home Depots sells the item they should
back it up.
Just my humble opinion.
Mike

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
am I missing something....am I too "Old School" ? I would never have
treated my customer this way. When I ran my store, I sold the
equipment, the customer was buying from me. I stood behind my word.
If I told the customer it had a two year warranty, I would warrant the
equipment for two years. If the manufacture did not want to back me
up, I would still take care of my customers. I would never tell a
customer that he is on is own. I would take care of his problem even
if it cost the store money. I believe that this is the right thing to
do.

You answered to yourself. HD answers to stockholders. They have a very
liberal return policy for any item for any reason in a specified time.
After that, they don't much give a damn about you and no one in the store is
empowered to make a decision that is outside the policy manuals. They
cannot afford the cost of taking in a product and getting it serviced for
you either. You pay for those low, low prices.

This is also the reason I heartily recommend buying from the local dealer.
You get good prices, but you get fantastic service along with it. I know I
can buy from Amazon and save $20,. but in the scheme of things, 20 bucks is
cheap insurance to be sure the local guy is there to help me. For the guys
out in the boonies, reputable places like Lee Valley and McFeely is a very
good way to buy.

D. Mo

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message
MrSilly wrote:
[...]

As a Home Depot employee I'd like to thank you for actually taking the time
to read the warranty. Yep we do require a sales receipt, which I'm assuming
this person no longer has. I say this as he is vague on how long he's had
the unit, one or two years. It is unfortunate we need to require this but
we do have people that try to run a scam on us bringing back a tool they got
for five bucks at a garage sale or pulled out of a dump. I am in no way
saying this is what is happening here. Just that I've seen it happen
before. As also has been pointed out in other posts we have only a limited
authority to address these isssues. If as an employee I exceed my authority
I maay be promoted to customer. How far did you persue it. A sales person
isn't authorized nor is a dept supervisor It would have to be OKed by at
least an assistant manager or possibly even the store manager because of the
cost of the unit.

D. Mo

George

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

This is also the reason I heartily recommend buying from the local dealer.
You get good prices, but you get fantastic service along with it. I know

can buy from Amazon and save $20,. but in the scheme of things, 20 bucks

is
cheap insurance to be sure the local guy is there to help me. For the

guys
out in the boonies, reputable places like Lee Valley and McFeely is a very
good way to buy.

The answer I give my wife as I fill the tank at the local station for .12 /
gallon more. When I need a gallon of premium for my chainsaw or another
five gallons of off-road for the tractor, he's there, next is twenty miles
away.

Not in the boondocks, but if you stand tip-toe, you can see 'em from
here....

Edwin Pawlowski

/
gallon more. When I need a gallon of premium for my chainsaw or another
five gallons of off-road for the tractor, he's there, next is twenty miles
away.

From what I read in the paper yesterday, he is not making much money
either. Many smaller local stations would be gone if not for the
convenience store most have today. In spite of the prices, the markup per
gallon has gone down to the station owner.

Duane Bozarth

"D. Mo" wrote:
As a Home Depot employee ...

My commiserations...

...require a sales receipt, which I'm assuming
this person no longer has. ...

W/ the one HD I have dealt w/ for any extent (it's 60 mi to nearest so
it's not an trip I want to make every day) they were able to find credit
card sales records for some time back...how far back that extends I
don't know???
Hax Planx

D. Mo says...

[...]

The scam aspect is very real and everybody is being hurt by it. I just
started a new checking account and found out after the fact that checks
I deposit are being held for several days because the bank is afraid of
counterfeit checks and they do this for all new checking accounts for 30
days. I have about as good a reputation as is humanly possible and I
have a 750 credit score, but even I wasn't exempt. I answered an ad for
a bicycle last year and was suckered into giving private information to
a phoney escrow service. I'm amazed I didn't have identity theft
problems afterwards, but I did as much damage control as I could as soon
as I found out. The world is a scummy place and getting scummier all
the time. I do think that HD should help customers with contact
information for manufacturers if a customer comes looking for help, but
they shouldn't be obligated to be the customer's agent in dealing with
the manufacturer. Some people just need to grow up and do for
themselves instead of expecting everything to be done for them.

I owned my store and it has been 8 years ago and if I still owned my
store I would do the same. Our prices were very competive, they had to
be. Every customer that walked in the dooor at a catolog in their back
pocket. I matched most mail order companies, just could not do
anything about the sales tax. But I always made myself worth 5% more
to my customers with knowledge and great customer service.. Trust me,
Home Depot and other large boxes are not selling at rock bottom prices!
They are in business to make money. Selling at lower prices is no
excuse for not taking care of your customer.
Mike

Leon

"George" george@least wrote in message

The answer I give my wife as I fill the tank at the local station for .12
/
gallon more. When I need a gallon of premium for my chainsaw or another
five gallons of off-road for the tractor, he's there, next is twenty miles
away.

Considering that the average vehicle costs you the average owner .35 cents
per mile to operate, driving 40 miles round trip would cost you $14.
Driving much over 5 or 6 miles is seldom worth a .10 savings in the long
run. You really are saving money and helping the local economy.

George

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"George" george@least wrote in message

The answer I give my wife as I fill the tank at the local station for

..12
/
gallon more. When I need a gallon of premium for my chainsaw or another
five gallons of off-road for the tractor, he's there, next is twenty

miles
away.

Considering that the average vehicle costs you the average owner .35 cents
per mile to operate, driving 40 miles round trip would cost you $14.
Driving much over 5 or 6 miles is seldom worth a .10 savings in the long
run. You really are saving money and helping the local economy.

Well, I'm flattered, but so it won't be a "damned lie," that includes costs
incurred by the purchaser who leaves the vehicle in the driveway.

Sort of like $45 a day to house an inmate, but nobody tells you that one or
seven differ only in food cost.

Leon

"Leon" wrote in message

Well, I'm flattered, but so it won't be a "damned lie," that includes
costs
incurred by the purchaser who leaves the vehicle in the driveway.

Sort of like $45 a day to house an inmate, but nobody tells you that one
or
seven differ only in food cost.

Well sorta, If the car simply sits in the drive way, the insurance should be
significantly cheaper, the vehicle should last longer and prolong having to
replace it, maintence would be considerably less and the gas bill would be
cheaper.

J. Clarke

"Leon" wrote in message

Well, I'm flattered, but so it won't be a "damned lie," that includes
costs
incurred by the purchaser who leaves the vehicle in the driveway.

Sort of like $45 a day to house an inmate, but nobody tells you that one
or
seven differ only in food cost.

Well sorta, If the car simply sits in the drive way, the insurance should
be significantly cheaper, the vehicle should last longer and prolong
having to replace it, maintence would be considerably less and the gas
bill would be cheaper.

If it simply sits it's going to rot away in no time. If it's driven once in
a while it will last a lot longer than if it just sits.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Leon

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

If it simply sits it's going to rot away in no time. If it's driven once
in
a while it will last a lot longer than if it just sits.

Some engine and or drive train seals may fail from not driving and the tires
may go bad but I assure you the sheet metal, glass, interior, paint, weather
strip will have no more ill effects than if it was driven. You would be
surprised how long some new cars will set on a dealers lot one has some
weird options or color combinations. Not unusual to still hear of some new
03's still being offered on a TV ad.

Folw-up question to Ridgid 13" planer sticking NoOne N Particular Woodworking 5 December 7th 04 02:44 PM
Ridgid 13" planer sticking HELP! Morris Woodworking 13 December 6th 04 05:06 AM
Delta 580 or Ridgid Planer? Yitah Woodworking 3 December 12th 03 01:11 PM
Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
The New Ridgid power tool Warranty Leon Woodworking 0 November 3rd 03 07:27 PM