Morris

Default Ridgid 13" planer sticking HELP!

Having a problem with my Ridgid 13" planer "sticking". It will not
feed the boards through smoothly. They get stuck and I have to push
or pull them through. This is a big hassle and it leaves a poor
finish. It doesn't matter how much material I try to remove... same
result. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
mikey

Morris wrote:
Having a problem with my Ridgid 13" planer "sticking". It will not
feed the boards through smoothly. They get stuck and I have to push
or pull them through. This is a big hassle and it leaves a poor
finish. It doesn't matter how much material I try to remove... same
result. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

My rigid 13" planer started doing that when I last used it.
Don't know what to do about it.
mikey.
max

Try waxing the tables and cleaning the overhead feed rollers. If the feed
rollers are rubber use Ronson's lighter fluid. IT rejuvenates the rubber and
makes it a little more sticky. IF the rollers are metal, clean them with
acetone or alcohol. Usually waxing the bed solves every thing.
max

Having a problem with my Ridgid 13" planer "sticking". It will not
feed the boards through smoothly. They get stuck and I have to push
or pull them through. This is a big hassle and it leaves a poor
finish. It doesn't matter how much material I try to remove... same
result. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

George

Wax on the bed, certainly. As to alcohol dissolving resin from conifers,
you'd be better off using mineral spirits. Acetone is something to be
avoided in areas where plastics are used. It does horrible things to some,
and it might go places you hadn't anticipated. Pretty tough on you in
close quarters, too. Not that mineral spirits is such a safe option.

"max" wrote in message
Try waxing the tables and cleaning the overhead feed rollers. If the feed
rollers are rubber use Ronson's lighter fluid. IT rejuvenates the rubber

and
makes it a little more sticky. IF the rollers are metal, clean them with
acetone or alcohol. Usually waxing the bed solves every thing.
max

Having a problem with my Ridgid 13" planer "sticking". It will not
feed the boards through smoothly. They get stuck and I have to push
or pull them through. This is a big hassle and it leaves a poor
finish. It doesn't matter how much material I try to remove... same
result. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Dave W

I had a similar problem with a 12 inch Dewalt. Waxing, as noted by others
makes a big difference. Cleaning the rollers with mineral sprits seems to
help also. For me the problem was worst with rough sawn stock.

max

I wasn't intending to clean off resin with the suggestion of lighter fluid
on the rubber rollers. Rubber dries out and work hardens. The lighter fluid
semi rejuvenates the rubber making it softer. The solvent for the metal
rollers is your choice. Mineral spirits leave an oily residue. Alcohol and
acetone do not.
max

"max" wrote in message
Try waxing the tables and cleaning the overhead feed rollers. If the feed
rollers are rubber use Ronson's lighter fluid. IT rejuvenates the rubber

and
makes it a little more sticky. IF the rollers are metal, clean them with
acetone or alcohol. Usually waxing the bed solves every thing.
max

Having a problem with my Ridgid 13" planer "sticking". It will not
feed the boards through smoothly. They get stuck and I have to push
or pull them through. This is a big hassle and it leaves a poor
finish. It doesn't matter how much material I try to remove... same
result. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

George

Well, you certainly could clean off the resin with it. Alcohol, of course,
as a semi-polar solvent, wouldn't work well at all.

Mineral spirits contain _no_ oil
http://www.noco.com/NOCO-MSDS/Mineral_Spirits.htm It is, however, an
excellent non-polar solvent for oil. Indeed, its base, Stoddard solvent,
contains naphtha, the ingredient in lighter fluid, as part of its makeup.

Acetone is a danger to so many varieties of paints and plastics, not to
mention the high fire danger, that it would never be first choice for such
an application. Stoddard solvent has a flashpoint of 60C, acetone at -20C,
is much more dangerous.

"max" wrote in message
Try waxing the tables and cleaning the overhead feed rollers. If the

feed
rollers are rubber use Ronson's lighter fluid. IT rejuvenates the

rubber
and
makes it a little more sticky. IF the rollers are metal, clean them

with
acetone or alcohol. Usually waxing the bed solves every thing.
max

Having a problem with my Ridgid 13" planer "sticking". It will not
feed the boards through smoothly. They get stuck and I have to push
or pull them through. This is a big hassle and it leaves a poor
finish. It doesn't matter how much material I try to remove... same
result. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Morris

"Rob V" wrote in message news:xaIsd.14402

Changed the blades and it works good as new.

But it IS new. I've had it about eight months but I've only used it 4
times (~50 lf)...

I'm heading out right now to wax the table and clean the rollers.
I'll let y'all know how it works. Thanks for the suggestions.
John Moorhead

Hi there!

I have the same planer, and had the same trouble... also while the planer
still had that "fresh new planer" smell... so... The type of wood you run
through it also makes a difference - I got this info when I call Ridgid
customer service (boy, you could have fun with that one...) Apparently, the
rollers have a very low tolerance for redwood... the advice here is good...
clean them well, keep them clean and wax the table.

John

Morris

Bingo. Thanks for the help. Works like it should now. All I did was
wax the table and dry wipe the rollers good.